Hacking into Gimbal to create a unique PID control

Oli

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried hacking into a gimbal and creating their own unique PID control system.

If so, what gimbals are hackable/ best for hacking.

I am looking for a 300--800 price rance, that can carry at least 2.2kg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Oli said:

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried hacking into a gimbal and creating their own unique PID control system.

If so, what gimbals are hackable/ best for hacking.

I am looking for a 300--800 price rance, that can carry at least 2.2kg

Are you for real?

Well there are plenty of parts available online to build one from scratch. I am sure if you are skilled enough, or a friend down in their moms basement, it surely can be done. I don't see why some wiz kid can't improve on any of them if you figure out a way to get into the brain of them.

The better Gimbals now are all 32bit, so they can be programed with a lot more logic to them now.

7 hours ago, tdonovic said:

Buy anything with a simplebgc board and you can play with the pids. Any of the Came gimbals you can do it with

Well I have to admit I looked it up. What the hell is he talking about, well for all of you "ignorant about new wave electronics gizmo's" as I am LoL, it means = proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) Now we know, I think.  :grin:

Let me know if somebody finds a way. My perfectly balanced £600 DS1 still doesn't work properly after a year and many calibrations.

For the time being I have returned to the stone age and bought a £35 SureShot off Amazon. Within ten minutes of slicing the box open yesterday I had my A7sii and 28mm lens gliding around the house, up stairs, around corners without a single problem. 

First of all, the OP is talking about a price range starting at $300.00 USD, and, to the best of my knowledge, there is no gimbal that can handle 2.2 Kg at that price point, so I think he is out of touch with reality. Secondly, the great thing about newer gimbals like the Crane is that there is absolutely no need to go into complicated and time-consuming PID settings - we can adjust dozens of parameters using a smartphone or iPod, and the entire process takes just seconds. Calibrating the Crane takes under five minutes. So my question is, does the OP even own a gimbal, and what exactly is it he wants to accomplish? Thousands of people are using gimbals like the Crane, and I presume they are happy not to have to mess around with PID settings, which are a pain in the ass, it just works out of the box. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. The Project includes attaching a lightweight metal detector, onto a drone and then using the gimbal to auto-correct the position of the metal detector. 

The weight of the metal detector boom < 0.5kg, however, the inertial moment is a lot higher than a camera. 

After some research, the SimpleBGC GUI software with a 32-bit board seems like the best option. 

However, I bought the Feiyu Mg-Lite, which is not compatible with the software, and its software interface is severely lacking.

For my thesis, it would be best to have motor response graphs and settling times etc.

Atm, I am currently looking into hacking into the Feiyu Motors and encoders.

If anyone has any experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated