I need some help with something..

ricardo_sousa11

Hi everyone!

I've recently gotten myself into a fun project and thought I'd use a cool technique i've seen countless times, but I cant identify its specific name. In the video bellow theres an example, however, I dont want to attach my camera to a person, but to a beer bottle, so I dont know how I could do that without showing parts of the rig holding the bottle. Anyone got any idea how? Also, Ideally i'd use my Sony a7sII, but if it comes down to that, I could use a regular gopro.

Edit: So, the technique is snorricam it seems, now the struggle is, how do I mount it to a bottle...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A pragmatic consideration is how the extra mass on a beer bottle (or fabricated prop that looks like a beer bottle) will affect the movement.  If it's too heavy, you'll run up against some "uncanny valley" sort of physicality.  Might not be a big deal based on your idea, or might be.

You may have to settle on a lighter rig.

Funny that you're asking about this technique, I was just barely reading about it, browsing reddit earlier today some dude shot a cool little John Wick-like action piece in his apartment by himself, rocked a little snorricam, someone linked to this video in the comments, obviously pretty DIY, but maybe good enough to at least get some test shots.

The easiest solution is a cardellini clamp with a magic arm.

If the jaws of the cardellini are too big (visible on the bottle), you could use a thin plumbing pipe clamp with a rubber liner around the bottom of the bottle.  Use plumber's epoxy on the head of the clamp's bolt to keep it from rotating and attach the magic arm to the exposed threads at the other end of that bolt.

You could likewise make a clamp plumbing strap and a long 1/4-20 bolt. Plumber's epoxy would also work here in keeping the bolt fixed so that you could attach a magic arm to the exposed threads.  Rubber scraps from an old bike inner tube could be used as a clamp liner.

Or, you could just use J-B Weld to glue two, stacked, 1/4-20 nuts directly to the bottle.  J-B Weld sticks to glass (seems to hold up to pot smoke and heat, too!) -- not sure if plumbers epoxy sticks to glass as good as J-B Weld.  You might have to score (roughen) the surface of the glass to improve the adherence of the J-B Weld.  Screw two 1/4-20 nuts onto the end of a 1/4-20 bolt, then use plenty of J-B Weld around the nuts and around the surface of the bottle.  When the J-B Weld has hardened, simply unscrew the bolt from the two nuts, and the nuts will be perfectly aligned within the J-B Weld.  Screw the 1/4-20 threads of the magic arm into the epoxied nuts.

By the way, PC-7 Epoxy might stick to glass glass better than J-B Weld.

Here is a photo of an old PC-7 hardware store display with various objects epoxied to a glass soda bottle:  IMG_0951.JPG

I remember these displays and there was no way to remove the glued objects without breaking the glass bottle.

Thank you all for your replies!

The script of the add, is having the beer opened in various different ways, so, its not gonna show anyone driking it.

I think e-poxy might be a really good idea, I will also be holding the sony a7sII by the strap, to remove some of the weight, while allowing it to move freely. I will keep this thread updated as I build and use the rig.

Find a plastic, insulated beer cozie and attach a small tripod plate to it... I think Sima makes a really small one that locks pretty nicely... or just a 1/4in screw... or probably a small ball head would be your best bet.

Or get a plastic coffee mug that is just wider than a beer bottle and get a foam rubber beer cozie to slide inside the coffee mug for a tight fit.

Drill a hole through the plastic coffee mug to attach that small Giottos ball head. Keep the hole close to the coffee mug handle so you can steady the mug as the talent picks up the beer to open it.  

But probably the easiest of solutions would be to get a GoPro Hero 5, shoot in 2.7K 60p ProTune for slow motion of the bottle caps being opened and then just use a lightweight Velcro GoPro strap to attach it to each beer bottle. 

if you do not show the whole bottle it can be easy, making a base of some sturdy material (preferably metal if it is only the lower lower few centimeters in the bottom) and make a screw for a magic arm to put there. In the magic arm you can use NX500 with the 10mm fish eye lens (in 4K, because of the crop the 10mm becomes somehow wide-ish), or the 16mm pancake or the 20mm on the 2.5K hack/mod. 2.5K is sufficient for most things these days.