What any cinematographer bring to a project?

Ak Ns

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well you should have a certain style to add to the overall look, and hopefully know the cameras being used. Not going to be as good as the operators, but knowledgeable about their strength and weakness. Be a leader, or things go down hill quick. Hopefully you get paid because you have a needed skill, you are good at it, and you are quick to see what the writer, producer has in mind. And be better than the last guy he had or he would still have him or her LoL. :blush:

You are the person that makes it happen, the scrape goat if not. Ain't for the weak at heart. Best have some damn thick skin. Operators will throw you under the bus if they smell blood!! And every grip you have will bother the shit out of you. :anguished:  Other than that it is a very rewarding job.

Basiclly you have to be honest about your skills with the head person, and just make shit happen. Nobody knows it all. Could be a ton of FX on it, not many people great at shooting that. Green Screen you have to have a hell of a imagination to do that well. And give women actors a Lot of Pee breaks. They will love you for it.

1 hour ago, Ak Ns said:

What should i say when someone ask me about what will i bring to a project? What is my contribution? Why should you get paid?

Tell them that you have the expertise to fulfill the director's vision and that you have extensive experience in using the language of the camera to tell the story.

Of course, you must be able to follow through from such statements, and it certainly helps to have a reel that demonstrates such ability.

It isn't something you say, it's something you do;

if you are not sure what you are bringing to a production, maybe you are not ready for such a prominent role, yet. 

To be exposed on a big set it can be the worst thing ever happen in your life!

Start humble, and step by step build your arsenal (skills, knowledge, experience).

Maybe you should ask to these Bollywood producers if they have a smaller part for you on a big production, or a bigger part on a smaller production.

There are sets with tens, or even hundreds of people, in front and behind the camera, you have to be ready to solve swiftly and adequate any problem arise and always perform at maximum level.

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

It isn't something you say, it's something you do;

if you are not sure what you are bringing to a production, maybe you are not ready for such a prominent role, yet. 

To be exposed on a big set it can be the worst thing ever happen in your life!

Start humble, and step by step build your arsenal (skills, knowledge, experience).

Maybe you should ask to these Bollywood producers if they have a smaller part for you on a big production, or a bigger part on a smaller production.

There are sets with tens, or even hundreds of people, in front and behind the camera, you have to be ready to solve swiftly and adequate any problem arise and always perform at maximum level.

This is great advice right here.

25 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@tupp in India(I guess) and "strange" markets (like mine) around the world, working "under budget" is the normal, you do not try to bring it under budget, you are seriously under budget and try to survive in a continuous "under-budgeting" market! 

Ha!  Yes, such "no-budget" scenarios are unheard of here in the states -- especially on Craigslist.    :glasses:

@tupp I am sure that is a universal trend, as everyone with a camera is a videographer these days (and a photographer, most days), but - I see you live in Los Angeles - on your market, where the sky is the limit, it is easier to find good working opportunities, while in Greece, even Canon C100mkII is considered a golden standard for TV productions and some are still be made with 5DmarkII, and a few with GoPro's.

A lot of TV documentary series have no sound men at all, and the others that have, have just one sound person, no assistants, no booming (I do boom, because I am pro boom sound man!), and there is only 1 production per year (or none) that exceeds 1 million $, usually some crappy film about historical events and/or persons.

There are a few Alexa's in the country, a few Red's, and a few Canon C300markII, I say few, but in reality  is a couple +-2, depending the brand. We literally know who is having what camera, and expect a video company that rents 2 Alexa's to advertisement and seldomly to video clips, there is a smaller company offering Canon C300mark II and 2 private oweners and a few Red owners that go with their cameras. That is the whole market, and an oddball here and there. 

When the top, is that low, then you get the point..