DJI Mavic Pro - Footage sample all color mod (D-log, Cinelike,etc.)

OliKMIA

Hi,

Since the drones are becoming trendy I just put a few clips together showing the difference between all the different DJI Mavic "color mode"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7MbHg2isoWXVlhqVUw1UERHeVU/view?usp=sharing

The files are straight from the memory card without any encoding. The Mavic was updated with the latest firmware as of February 14. Each clips is 50 seconds, switching color modes every 10 sec in that order:
D-Cinelike
D-Log
None
TrueColor
Art

>>> Settings:
- WB: Sunny
- AF: set manually
- Style: Standard (+0,+0,+0)
- Exposure: Manual Exposure (0 EV)
- Resolution and Frame rate: 3840x2160 (UHD) at 29.97fps

Feel free to download and try your own grading. Obviously the light (clear bright sunny day) won't fit all scenario but it will give you an idea.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Hi,

Since the drones are becoming trendy I just put a few clips together showing the difference between all the different DJI Mavic "color mode"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7MbHg2isoWXVlhqVUw1UERHeVU/view?usp=sharing

The files are straight from the memory card without any encoding. The Mavic was updated with the latest firmware as of February 14. Each clips is 50 seconds, switching color modes every 10 sec in that order:
D-Cinelike
D-Log
None
TrueColor
Art

>>> Settings:
- WB: Sunny
- AF: set manually
- Style: Standard (+0,+0,+0)
- Exposure: Manual Exposure (0 EV)
- Resolution and Frame rate: 3840x2160 (UHD) at 29.97fps

Feel free to download and try your own grading. Obviously the light (clear bright sunny day) won't fit all scenario but it will give you an idea.

Would it be too much to ask, to be able to see it on Vimeo, instead of downloading it :blush:

Nice work, though. PB had done a similar review of the Mavic a little while ago. I am curious to see your version on this too. 

On 15/02/2017 at 8:44 PM, OliKMIA said:

@sanveerI can upload it on vimeo but I think the point is to have the original file and try grading it. Looking at compressed video on vimeo won't help much to assess the grading latitude. What do you think ?

True. But there are members from all over the world, including many places wheer 4k 50MB/s downloads won't really be possible. For them Vimeo has lesser resolution options. That's my opinion. 

The image is very similar to the Phantom 3 I guess, which I detaste anyway. In 2017, where 4K crop cameras can be found with a few hundreds of money, the old action cam size is not enought. That is why I do not own a goPro, or any action cam, as I prefer a cheap 1080p APS-C sensored ultra compact mirrorless, and add a pancake fish eye on it. 

For a few hundred more euros, I am considering the 4pro.

Yes it is bigger, yes it is more expensive, yes the batteries are very expsensive (while the "Mavic Fly more" version has 3 batteries) but that 1" camera is something we were waiting for a long time in consumer, semi-pro territory. 

Maybe the next Mavic will have the same 1" camera, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon, when the Mavic "just" started to ship and has a huge waiting list at the moment? Of,course you can have it with you at all times, but why to do that on a semi-professional level (it also diminishes its role, as producers will expect to use it all the time and at very low cost anyway), and it misses the importance of doing "drone work", it can become routine, while the size and video files of the 4pro will make  it a more serious choice, as DJI planned it to be.

15 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I have done this test with the new d-log released few days ago compared to other color mode. 

Color grade is horrible, it is just to see how it holds up 

see the comment in my YouTube description 

log is no good for Mavic 

whoa. The worst thing actually here is the aliasing and even more sharpening which even pronounces it. Looks terrible, regardless of the color.

Even my Samsung Galaxy S7 produces less harsh looking video. 

Did the Mavic have less sharpening applied with earlier firmwares?

9 hours ago, deezid said:

whoa. The worst thing actually here is the aliasing and even more sharpening which even pronounces it. Looks terrible, regardless of the color.

Even my Samsung Galaxy S7 produces less harsh looking video. 

Did the Mavic have less sharpening applied with earlier firmwares?

Yep pretty bad. No always that much. 

I did not add any sharpening 

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, someone contacted me, asking if he could use this footage and publish it on youtube. Feel free guys, use it as much as you want and publish it. I don't mind, I just did that for the community. No need to ask permission. Cheers