The Nikon DL Cameras are Cancelled

Mattias Burling

Really disappointing the DL's were whacked. I passed on the RX100 after seeing the 18mm DL announced and have been hoping it would still be produced, but at this point it was pretty obvious they were never going to see the light of day.

Nikon has left the d810 and d750 linger too long. Their typical 4-year cycle needs to be sped up a bit. And they need a viable mirrorless. But with their unwillingness to scrap the legacy stuff (and use Sony-style LAEA adapters) is really hurting them. They're destined to fade into Pentax territory without changes.

Things look bad in Nikon land.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

I really hope Nikon doesn't get out of the low end camera business like some rumors are stating. I was messing around with some D5500 clips this morning and man is that Flat profile nice.

IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Agreed! My d5300 paired with a 28mm e series is a cool look too! But I must say after seeing all kinds of YouTube videos with handheld gimbals, IBIS, it seems like if Nikon doesn't produce something with that, my next body won't be a Nikon. 

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/26/more-new-lens-patents-designed-for-1-sensor.aspx/

it is somehow old news, but maybe they decided to push the 1 series, instead of such compacts. All these patents they have seems like they have spend a lot of resources for their 1 system.

Seriously, I do not understand what is the big deal with all these 1" cameras, we have equally small bigger sensored ones, paired with fine pz and pancake lenses are equally small and better performers. 

1" mobile phone camera? Now we are talking!

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Agreed! My d5300 paired with a 28mm e series is a cool look too! But I must say after seeing all kinds of YouTube videos with handheld gimbals, IBIS, it seems like if Nikon doesn't produce something with that, my next body won't be a Nikon. 

Yeah I hear ya. Other brands have better bells and whistles. Focus peaking is probably the only feature keeping me from going all in with Nikon... plus a few other minor annoyances but even with the 2010 inconveniences, at the end of the day I cannot deny the image. 

Yeah it is hard to believe the company, that sort of invented Video in a DSLR, is so adverse to leading the pack. I guess it is the old turds on the board, from what I have heard, have held Nikon back. They better clean house or they, Nikon, are going to get their Clock Cleaned as they say. :angry:

They are in trouble because most of DSLR owners are satisfied with their current gear and new generation kids are satisfied with their smartphone, not because they didn't add IBIS or focus peaking. Even if they release the best video-enthusiast oriented camera tomorrow, though makes internet buzz for few days, won't save them financially.  

11 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

They are in trouble because most of DSLR owners are satisfied with their current gear and new generation kids are satisfied with their smartphone, not because they didn't add IBIS or focus peaking. Even if they release the best video-enthusiast oriented camera tomorrow, though makes internet buzz for few days, won't save them financially.  

Yeah you are right, the ship has sailed, and it is not heading to Japan and Nikon that is for sure. Apple and Samsung has cleaned their Clock.

I am not so sure that Nikon is in all that much trouble (YET).

There are very few dedicated photo shops left (none here) and cameras are sold in electronics chain stores mostly now.

Just looked in one and there were 4 Nikon DSLRs (no FF, some older models), 2 Nikon mirrorless (AW and normal 1), 5 Canon DSLRs (no FF), 3 Canon mirrorless (m10 and a couple of M3 options).  

There were 2 Sony Mirrorless (an A6000 and A5### - no A6300 or A6500), 2 OLy m4/3 and 2 Panasonic M4/3 (none of the top ones).

Only a handful of various lower level lenses.

At the other end of the cabinet were almost as many video camcorders from Sony, Panasonic and a couple of others from around $200 to about $1000, plenty of "action" cameras and tiny video things.

In between, a few point and shoot (including some Nikon Coolpix).    3 or 4 different Instax cameras of varying colours.

The range there has shrunk a fair bit in the last year.

A store like Harvey Norman (another electronics chain) here still has a bit larger range and more lenses including FF cameras and Canon/Nikon "L" /gold ring type lenses but their range has also shrunk greatly lately from what it was not so long ago.

Nikon may well be in trouble but not really any more than anyone else it seems.

49 minutes ago, noone said:

I am not so sure that Nikon is in all that much trouble (YET).

There are very few dedicated photo shops left (none here) and cameras are sold in electronics chain stores mostly now.

Just looked in one and there were 4 Nikon DSLRs (no FF, some older models), 2 Nikon mirrorless (AW and normal 1), 5 Canon DSLRs (no FF), 3 Canon mirrorless (m10 and a couple of M3 options).  

There were 2 Sony Mirrorless (an A6000 and A5### - no A6300 or A6500), 2 OLy m4/3 and 2 Panasonic M4/3 (none of the top ones).

Only a handful of various lower level lenses.

At the other end of the cabinet were almost as many video camcorders from Sony, Panasonic and a couple of others from around $200 to about $1000, plenty of "action" cameras and tiny video things.

In between, a few point and shoot (including some Nikon Coolpix).    3 or 4 different Instax cameras of varying colours.

The range there has shrunk a fair bit in the last year.

A store like Harvey Norman (another electronics chain) here still has a bit larger range and more lenses including FF cameras and Canon/Nikon "L" /gold ring type lenses but their range has also shrunk greatly lately from what it was not so long ago.

Nikon may well be in trouble but not really any more than anyone else it seems.

A valid observation, but after photo/videographers upgrade their entry level bodies they go bargain hunting online or on used gear portals instead of walking into a Harvey Norman because they cannot live with their old gear for a few days more. So, physical presence in (non-specialized) stores is nothing to base you market assumptions on.

11 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

A valid observation, but after photo/videographers upgrade their entry level bodies they go bargain hunting online or on used gear portals instead of walking into a Harvey Norman because they cannot live with their old gear for a few days more. So, physical presence in (non-specialized) stores is nothing to base you market assumptions on.

Maybe.      I just remember not THAT long ago there used to be four or five photographic stores in my (small) city alone.       I used to haunt the second hand sections in those stores as well. 

Harvey Norman wouldn't stock the higher end stuff for long if it wasn't selling.     I must go there today and look but last time I was there it was the lower and mid stuff that had shrunk a great deal/disappeared.    They don't have a huge amount but might have some Canon/Nikon pro lenses (2.8 zooms , 85 1.2L and the range of FF cameras ETC).

I have purchased a LOT of second, third and fourth hand gear from Ebay too.      Now, there are a few photographic chain stores hanging on (Camera House in Australia though they closed their store here a couple of years ago).     I now have Ebay still and also a couple of pawn shops but they don't have a lot of stuff that often.      Surprisingly for some photo stuff I find charity shops can have some nice stuff but you might have to ask them if they have anything out the back.      I have to go to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane for nicer stuff usually.

There are very few dedicated stores that stock high end gear now though I note a new one just opened in Brisbane a couple of months ago.      They have a slick booklet (summer catalogue) insert in a magazine.

I especially like that they advertise the three Nikon DL cameras in it ($889, $1079 and $1197 Australian)!