The Nikon DL Cameras are Cancelled

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, same. If the follow up of d750/500 has got fullframe 4k and 120p I am done. If I would ever shoot some proper (meaning not web based) commercial stuff I can rent a real camera. I thought NX1 would be great but a waste of money for being a dead system. Then Sonya 6300, well. Andrew is right,  just get that 1dxII and a couple of lenses and done, no need to fool around with crop nonsense. My 30 year old nikkors can pop on my F2, F100 and d750 that makes it pretty easy going for what I need....Not that I like Nikon but it does the job ok for fools like me. And I just sold old Glass with a fair markup, Not sure if e.g. Sony stuff will have the same value down the line.....

M43 is not going down at all, I heard this years after years and yet M43 is still dominate sales in Japan while Sony with its glorious A7 series is losing sale to crappy EOS M, same for P&S market , as some Chinese companies have joined M43 this still have plenty of life ahead, open standard is the way to go!  (look at smartphones, Chinese brands are catching up, while Japanese phone is irrelevant now, not long ago they were considered super advance), look at drone market, currently only M43 is available as integrated drone system.. look at action cam, only M43 have presence, which are all made by Chinese companies.

I still see many Oly user upgrading to e-m1mkii rather than to other systems... so royalty is still there, financial report from Oly and Pana is very healthy unlike Nikon

• Super Members

The m4/3 might be doing ok but its still nothing compared to Canon. And Fuji is eating away at their fan base every day. 

But I do think Panasonic is in more trouble than Olympus. I don't know any Panasonic still shooters. And that's where the real money still is, not in video.

But there is currently way to many options compared to people buying cameras. 

Someone's gotta go.

7 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The m4/3 might be doing ok but its still nothing compared to Canon. And Fuji is eating away at their fan base every day. 

But I do think Panasonic is in more trouble than Olympus. I don't know any Panasonic still shooters. And that's where the real money still is, not in video.

But there is currently way to many options compared to people buying cameras. 

Someone's gotta go.

If you look at financial report of the Panasonic AVC division their profit and sales still goes up even with heavy bombardment from Sony new releases, financial wise they are healthy so wont be going anywhere soon.  

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

If you look at financial report of the Panasonic AVC division their profit and sales still goes up even with heavy bombardment from Sony new releases, financial wise they are healthy so wont be going anywhere soon.  

Like I said in the post you quoted, Sony is not the issue. Canon is the issue for Panasonic. And Fuji. And Olympus.

BTW, I haven't seen any report that shows Panasonics camera devision. Ive seen the company as a whole, but that can be air conditioners for all I know.

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Like I said in the post you quoted, Sony is not the issue. Canon is the issue for Panasonic. And Fuji. And Olympus.

BTW, I haven't seen any report that shows Panasonics camera devision. Ive seen the company as a whole, but that can be air conditioners for all I know.

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-financial-report-2016-4k-is-driving-sales-up/

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Kodak went out of business.

Big name!

Exactly!
Just look at Sega consoles, Delta Airlines,Trump Entertainment Resort, Enron, WorldCom Inc, General Motors, Lehman Brothers.....

1 minute ago, ntblowz said:

From your link "There is no detailed info about the sole digital camera business."

17 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Exactly!
Just look at Sega consoles, Delta Airlines,Trump Entertainment Resort, Enron, WorldCom Inc, General Motors, Lehman Brothers.....

From your link "There is no detailed info about the sole digital camera business."

it all grouped under AVC as whole division, as long they turn profit as whole it will go on, FYI the latest result is 41 billion yen in profit for AVC division for the 9 month result, compare to massive 29billion loss on Nikon, Sony only turn in 21 billion profit for their Image division

It's simply a matter of time before Canon, Sony, Panasonic, as we know them today, will cease to exist. Will take less than a decade, guaranteed. Market for cameras will become extremely niche and majority of consumers will have needs met by next gen smartphones with better optics and sensors.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg as changes go. We're living in the twilight of captilism. Enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

8 hours ago, cantsin said:

Nikon is part of Mitsubishi. It won't file bankruptcy as long as Mitsubishi is in business. But I wouldn't be surprised if, sooner or later, Nikon will radically cut down its classical photo business and focus on medical imaging instead.

No, they are not.

They are aligned to them somewhat like many Japanese companies but it is a separate company I think you will find.

I would not have minded getting one of the two short lens DLs but not anything needed.

I wonder if any of the ones they have made will ever see the light of day?     How much would one of those go for on Ebay?

As to who lives and who dies?    While I hope they all do well and thrive, I am not a shareholder and my existing gear will still work.   

Many of the current companies, while large are not THAT large and all it takes is one success or one failure to decide things.

Polaroid, Agfa, and others are no longer around (in some cases the name might have been sold).

At least with mirrorless, if you get Canon lenses, mostly you can use lenses that are less likely to be orphaned.

Wont matter soon enough anyway, as we will all be using a the 20th generation smart device for everything and it may well be made by the likes of Apple or Kipon or some Chinese or Indian start-up.