Is the GH5's 10-bit 4:2:2 enough for Internal V-Log recording?

Mckinise

Internal V-Log L recording on the GH4 was a noisy mess.  Even when exposed to the right, the footage was noticeably flawed.  How is everyone feeling about the internal V-log recording on the GH5 in both 10-bit 4:2:2 Bit and 8-bit 4:2:0?  

Is it worth the extra money for internal recording only? 

Would you EVER use this version of V-log with any of the 8-bit 4:2:0 modes; let alone UHD 60fps?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Well it wasn't the fault of 8bit that V-LOG was noisy on the GH4.

Canon LOG in 8bit on the 1D C is clean as a whistle.

The GH5 should be a lot less noisy, it's a new sensor and seemingly a very advanced one.

I'd shoot it in 10bit, but it should stand up just fine in 8bit as well for 4K 60p.

But we don't know for sure yet as initial testers have been putting uninformative sales pitches out there instead of proper tests.

Amen to that! A little fishy this late in the game to me. There is no real tests to amount to crap. :confused: You have to figure the Olympus EM1 mkII has been out for what 2 months, and we don't have a GH5 focus test to save our ass, let alone any thing else to amount to write home to mother about but specs on paper.

Seems like this may be the best video camera ever made LoL, or it will be firmware hell for 6 months or more. :grimace:

55 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Can you guys test the released and downloadable vlog sample files in 10bit and 8 bit please? I've played with them but I'm sure professionals like you guys would be able to make deeper observations. 

Well Neumann seems to be the only one that has done much testing on it that I have seen. What he has shown is looking damn good. But I can't really comment with that little footage that is available.

It Has to be better now that it is 10bit, but the codec really determines the real output. And that has been raised also. So I think GH5 V Log speed boosted might be as good or better than the Sony S Log cropped being it is only 8bit. Although Sony has a good codec also. Looking forward for a real life comparison on that case. Panasonic has really raised the computer HP in the GH5 it seems.

All these cameras that have a Log are damn hard to correct for the average Joe Blow. Lot of time required in post so not really sure even 10bit on the GH5 or even on a Sony A7siii will be as big of deal to run and gun stuff, less experienced people. There is a reason top films have 25 people working on them. Great video output is Really hard to achieve let alone a great story to go with it. It ain't easy.

I have a bad feeling the low light, DR is not that much better than the GH4. And that is what I would want way more than 10bit. Not counting better AF. I hope I am wrong. Now if all those things are better on the GH5 than wow, worth the 2 grand they are asking. :grin:

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Great video output is really hard to achieve let alone a great story to go with it.

To be honest, I'd say 1 out of 2 ain't all that hard these days.  Even the laziest SOB can throw one of these new cameras/lenses into auto, dial up a flattering color profile, and shoot clean motion pictures that look technically impressive.  Artistically impressive?  Probably not.  But technically impressive?  Yeah, no problem.

The other stuff?  You're right, not so much.

On 2/13/2017 at 2:32 AM, Shirozina said:

Log should not be exposed to the right - it needs exposing to place the tones in the scene in the correct place on the log curve. ETTR is for RAW. 

Doesn't it really depend on the scene and what we are trying to accomplish within the frame?  Are we truly going to look at a location and have the same thoughts on how it should be covered?  Are there not times when you think, "I really want to protect these highlights" or "I need as much shadow information as possible"?

9 hours ago, SlanderShot said:

What. 

Im curious to see your raw footage without ETTR or Zone System. 

Everyone know that the sensor need the best exposition in RAW use, or else we get noisy low light revovery. 

It depends of which RAW we are talking about. On RED cameras the RAW catches each frame on all ISO available, on the base of 800, so what you see on screen is just for reference. I don't see the interest to ETTR on RAW. But I can be wrong...

In LOG or standard usually I use the zebra. Set to 95%, I expose just one step before the zebra. Don't know if it's a good technique but it works well, on daylight and on night scenes with secondary LED panels.

2 hours ago, benymypony said:

It depends of which RAW we are talking about. On RED cameras the RAW catches each frame on all ISO available, on the base of 800, so what you see on screen is just for reference. I don't see the interest to ETTR on RAW. But I can be wrong...

In LOG or standard usually I use the zebra. Set to 95%, I expose just one step before the zebra. Don't know if it's a good technique but it works well, on daylight and on night scenes with secondary LED panels.

Yeah 1 stop is about all you can play with on a m4/3 sensor. 2 stops on a good full frame camera works.