It's 2017 still no affordable Full Frame camera with nice 50/60p slowmo image !!!

DriftProductions

Here in NZ you can buy used A7S for NZD$1400 2nd hand, there was a few a7s sold for $1500, dunno why but A7II still hold value steady while a7s took a tumble

Here in NZ you can buy used A7S for NZD$1400 2nd hand, there was a few a7s sold for $1500, dunno why but A7II still hold value steady while a7s took a tumble

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My recommendations, as others have already stated:

d750 - the body is dropping in price, keep an eye out for a deal. Full frame, super DR and color edge over a7s, but soft 1080p.

nx1 - jack up the bitrate with the hack, invest in Luca's speed booster, and keep that ISO as low as possible...you have a excellent 120p performer. Best 120p full frame for the price (maybe the only). Great color and sharpness, lackluster DR and strange highlight/black levels when grading if you ever miss your mark on exposure.

a7s - keep it in crop mode and speedboost. Best low light, great sharpness, DR and highlight roll off but, imo, terrible white balance and strange colors. Compression isn't the best either

a5100 - super cheap, speed boost it and it's quite comparable to the a7s, a tad bit softer, a bit less dr and a bit more macroblocking/artifacts but for the price...

And hear me out

Bmmcc - if you can live with near apsc crop instead of full frame, bmmcc speedboosted would probably yield the most beautiful results. But that's subjective, as I value color information a bit more than compressed 60p.

buy an rx100 iv as b cam for superior slow mo of any of the cams. Excellent sensor readout and result for a compressed image. 1 inch sensor though.

As others have already reported, the NX1 is really excellent for what you seem to need. Strange that you say that: "It's 2017, and still no affordable camera with nice 50/60p slowmo image", since NX1 (120fps@1080 with APSC full sensor readout) has been out since November, 2014, at a lauch price of about 1.500€. I bought it at the beginning of February, 2015 at 1.220€ shipped. Some months later (say end 2015) it was possible to buy it for barely more than 1000€.

There have been reports of some new NX1 bodies sold for 800€ or even less, new, in the months following the announce of it being discontinued. I'm still regretting I didn't buy a second one, by then.

I don't know your concept of "affordable", but to me NX1 was an outstanding deal since the very beginning, considering that even now it's vastly unmatched for under 3-4x its launch price.

3 hours ago, j_one said:

And hear me out

Bmmcc - if you can live with near apsc crop instead of full frame, bmmcc speedboosted would probably yield the most beautiful results. But that's subjective, as I value color information a bit more than compressed 60p.

+1 to that, but I am more of a fan of the BMPCC or the BMCC, thought i realize 60p is not a option on either one of them. BIG fan of Black Magic cameras. They have really helped the little guy get into some great video cameras for very little money. I hope they come out with version 2 on all of them.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, j_one said:

d750 - the body is dropping in price, keep an eye out for a deal. Full frame, super DR and color edge over a7s, but soft 1080p.

D750 in 1080/60p is sharper than the A7S in full frame 60p mode.

But APS-C mode A7S gives better 1080/60p than almost anything else for the money and you have way more choice of lenses on E-mount than Nikon F-mount.

9 hours ago, j_one said:

nx1 - jack up the bitrate with the hack, invest in Luca's speed booster, and keep that ISO as low as possible...you have a excellent 120p performer. Best 120p full frame for the price (maybe the only). Great color and sharpness, lackluster DR and strange highlight/black levels when grading if you ever miss your mark on exposure.

Sadly no Speed Booster

Not sure what happened to the custom one on this forum.

9 hours ago, j_one said:

a7s - keep it in crop mode and speedboost. Best low light, great sharpness, DR and highlight roll off but, imo, terrible white balance and strange colors. Compression isn't the best either

So this is $999 used... anything cheaper?

Cheapest would be a used Panasonic G6... 1.3x crop with Speed Booster and Canon lenses, so nearly full frame.

Check out the quality of 1080/60p on the Fuji XT-20 though... and you can put a Nikon mount Speed Booster on it, but not Canon.

How about forgetting about 60p altogether and going for a nice 120p RX100 IV if it is slow-mo you're looking for?

FWIW, regarding the BMMCC/Metabones, I just set up a new rig with those. haven't shot enough with it but enough to really like it with the smallrig/ikan EVF setup we're using. Very affordable, really exceptional IQ, slow motion color science and dynamic range and the peaking is some of the best I've used. I shoot full frame Canon's as well, but I can tell this will be a go-to combo.  Here's a quick first test of the slomo...nothing special.

https://vimeo.com/202145227

16 hours ago, j_one said:

a5100 - super cheap, speed boost it and it's quite comparable to the a7s, a tad bit softer, a bit less dr and a bit more macroblocking/artifacts but for the price...

And hear me out

buy an rx100 iv as b cam for superior slow mo of any of the cams. Excellent sensor readout and result for a compressed image. 1 inch sensor though.

@j_one couldn't have said it better, bang on! I'm still gonna stick with the A7s and wait for a price drop. Cheers mate. 

43 minutes ago, Jim Giberti said:

FWIW, regarding the BMMCC/Metabones, I just set up a new rig with those. haven't shot enough with it but enough to really like it with the smallrig/ikan EVF setup we're using. Very affordable, really exceptional IQ, slow motion color science and dynamic range and the peaking is some of the best I've used. I shoot full frame Canon's as well, but I can tell this will be a go-to combo.  Here's a quick first test of the slomo...nothing special.

https://vimeo.com/202145227

That may be the nicest BM footage I have seen. Stellar. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

D750 in 1080/60p is sharper than the A7S in full frame 60p mode.

But APS-C mode A7S gives better 1080/60p than almost anything else for the money and you have way more choice of lenses on E-mount than Nikon F-mount.

Sadly no Speed Booster

Not sure what happened to the custom one on this forum.

So this is $999 used... anything cheaper?

Cheapest would be a used Panasonic G6... 1.3x crop with Speed Booster and Canon lenses, so nearly full frame.

Check out the quality of 1080/60p on the Fuji XT-20 though... and you can put a Nikon mount Speed Booster on it, but not Canon.

How about forgetting about 60p altogether and going for a nice 120p RX100 IV if it is slow-mo you're looking for?

Thanks @Andrew Reid your advice is appreciated :glasses: Most of what you and others had mentioned i'd already learnt from regularly reading your posts and forum members feedback from the forums over this last year or so, i've learnt so much in a short space of time and it's been invaluable really. Gonna stick with my plan, save up the pennies and run with the Sony A7s in crop mode and eventually get a speedbooster when the budget allows. 

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

The title should be clear. It was pure click bait. 

Haha you are like the 'Annoying Orange' mate!  I'l be sure to be extra specific next time, keep the peace yeww

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I agree. Edited the title!

Thanks