First test of my Kowa 16S (Feedback)

PhilipV

Hey guys,

this video is shot handheld (which might not have been a good idea). Do you like the vintage look that I tried to create with my anamorphic adapter and the Helios 44-2?

I did my first attempt at grading as well, can you give me some tips on how achieve a better vintage look? Obviously, I need to find a solution for stabilized shooting, since I want to take this setup on my vacation next month.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really beautiful dogs, good looking footage, not a fan of the song. I very much like the vintage look and grading. On their Vimeo page Tiffen has a number of videos showing what look their various filters give. I would consider adding a filter if you want to take away even more from the video look. The handheld nature of the video was not distracting at all. But the song was, at least to me. The footage had a vintage feel, but then you drop some autotuned contemporary pop song over it and it just didn't feel right. But that's just my opinion. Did I mention those are some beautiful dogs? ;) I wouldn't stress too much over the lack of stabilization. Really pretty footage. It has a look that I like.

Wow, I almost barfed with the music and the shakiness LoL!! Ditch that damn song!!! And buy a god damned Gimbal!!!! :grimace:

Yes and I also really like your dogs, and the effect looks pretty nice for the old timey thing. Over and out. :grin: It was not too bad, well maybe? :confused:

I think having smaller cameras on a tripod sort of defeats the purpose of smaller cameras. :grin: But I know gimbals that hold that much weight are pretty

expensive, and what happens if you get a large lens, bigger camera, etc.. No cheap out sad to say to do it right. Good effort though.

Love those dogs!

A cheap monopod is a great tool for travel - eliminates micro-shake on footage, less cumbersome than tripod and yet still keeps footage looking handheld. Slightly higher shutter speed than 1/50 will eliminate motion blur to help any post stabilisation software do a good solve if you need to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.2.2017 at 5:34 AM, webrunner5 said:

Wow, I almost barfed with the music and the shakiness LoL!! Ditch that damn song!!! And buy a god damned Gimbal!!!! :grimace:

It was not too bad, well maybe? :confused:

LMAO @ this. This was just a quick test video so I didn't invest much time looking for the perfect song to fit it. I agree that this was not the best choice but it ain't about the music anyway so..I chose this song since it was just a demo release that wouldn't bring me into trouble with copyright. 

Please don't insult the artist, James Fauntleroy, because he is a very talented songwriter behind many hits of Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé and more. 

I am aware of the shakiness, so I am looking for an affordable way to stabilize moving shots. maybe a monopod, yes. or a Gimbal.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK THO

TOOK SOME MORE TEST VIDEOS

It was pretty much tongue n cheek on my part, but... Bad music you can live with, like turn volume all the way down, shakiness well.... Welcome Aboard.

A little advice. I have been doing video a Long time. The first 2 videos you have the music is still too crazy on them. The third one was perfect. If the music is loud and crazy, guess what, you listen to the music and ignore the video. Now if your doing a Music video you win, but the first two were sure as hell not meant to be that type.

Music has way more of an effect than you think in a movie, even lowering the volume in it changes the mood your heart rate, your interest, you get the point. Audio is as important as video to succeed. Over and Out.

33 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

I don't think a gimbal would work with my double-focus anamorphic setup, right? If only I could afford a single-focus lens

I don't know of any that are autofocus. But there is a hillbilly one on here that sort of does....LoL. But yeah a single focus one would be a big help, but they are expensive. I am no wiz at Anamorphic. My brain is distorted enough without the help of Anamorphic. :grimace:

I don't think many even fit inside of a Gimbal  because of length, or they are front heavy as hell and overwhelm the stabilizer. They are a good odd duck. I would buy a Glidecam if I was you if you want to stabilize it, they can be had cheaper than electronic ones. But once you re focus, carr putt, un stabilized again.

I do have one that does work with the autofocus on my iPhone, a Moondog Labs 1.33 Anamorphic lens. They work damn well.

• 4 years later...