The Leica SL as upgrade for Sony A7R II shooters

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The 1080p 120fps is nearly as detailed as the A7S at 24p. Better than the D750.

Awesome -I've been thinking about trying to rationalise my cameras to better match what/how I'm shooting now and have been wanting to get a good hybrid for both stills and video so I can just take the one camera.   I just don't gel with a sony, and want a full frame sensor for stills -so the SL looks mighty tempting especially being able to use m glass on it.  I see it has 1.33:1; 1.66:1; 1.78:1; 1.85:1; 2.35:1; 2.4:1 aspect ratio guides - hallelujah.  

I see some have commented that the EVF is in the same class as the F55 or RED Bomb EVF -so that makes the price seem slightly better when you look at what they go for :grin:

18 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Hmm, shadows are completely crushed on both videos - while this might have superficial aesthetical appeal, it could be a severe limitation of using the camera for video in practice.

Yeah -hard to know if this was done on purpose in post, was shot in a high contrast standard colour mode or is a DR limitation in l-log, but the 120p looks pretty good and colours etc are pleasing

asd

6 hours ago, mat33 said:

Been looking for some good footage from the SL including slow-mo and came across this. Shot on the SL apart from the drone shots (according to credits).  Ahhh the 'I really need this camera' crazy rationalisation is nearly complete :grin: 

While the DR is compressed (can't tell if original clips) the colors and skin tone are impressive.

36 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

asd

While the DR is compressed (can't tell if original clips) the colors and skin tone are impressive.

Yeah the skin tones and colour do look very nice.  I've been looking into the SL and its an interesting camera that hard to find a definitive opinion on.  Some say DR is 9 stops and others say DR is 'better' than Canon at ~12 stops.  Some say above iso 400 is unusable due to auto NR , others say at high iso its better than D750 with virtually no chroma noise and quite pleasing luminance noise -hopefully @Andrew Reid will be able to clear a few thing up.    Been trying to find some good footage to decide for myself and would be nice to have some nicely exposed ungraded footage.  This looked nice:

Those Chanel film are clearly (well) graded, and the crushed blacks seem more like an aesthetic choice rather than a technical limitation. For such a film (high end corporate / brand content) they probably recorded 4:2:2 10 bit via HDMI to get the best possible signal, which is another advantage of the SL over Sony, HDMI out is 10 bit, not 8.

8 hours ago, alexcosy said:

Those Chanel film are clearly (well) graded, and the crushed blacks seem more like an aesthetic choice rather than a technical limitation. For such a film (high end corporate / brand content) they probably recorded 4:2:2 10 bit via HDMI to get the best possible signal, which is another advantage of the SL over Sony, HDMI out is 10 bit, not 8.

Just found bit more info about that clip -and you are correct it was recorded with an external recorder in 10 bit.  The drone shots were also on a SL, and interestingly the DP really liked the in camera b&w colour profile, so most of the b&w shots were straight from the camera with no post-processing.

On 2/9/2017 at 4:09 AM, alexcosy said:

No they indeed used a SL for a long time, probably about 200/250 vlogs, and the quality the got out of it was indeed extremely good (they used leica glass, be it manual M or SL AF, and it had loads of character). They switched to an A7sII and though it's a very good camera by all means, colour and overall rendition suffered from that change (to me at least), they also got a RED Helium which is a non-sense to me for a Vlog.

Not to be rude or detract from the conversation, but I never noticed the "character" or colors change when they went Sony.

Shooting on Leica glass for Youtube is just as nonsensical imho. Compression kills whatever IQ advantage you may get.

16 minutes ago, andrgl said:

Not to be rude or detract from the conversation, but I never noticed the "character" or colors change when they went Sony.

Shooting on Leica glass for Youtube is just as nonsensical imho. Compression kills whatever IQ advantage you may get.

Well, he now shoots his v-log on a 8K RED Epic-Weapon.

5 hours ago, andrgl said:

It's not so much about IQ, it's about the overall rendition, pop, texture, bokeh etc... I'm not at all saying the A7s/II is a bad camera with bad IQ, it's a great camera by all means. 

There's an early Jon Olsonn  vlog where they go on about gear, and they compare the SL and an A7 Marcus used to have, and they clearly state (and you can witness it as they show comparative footage)  that the SL overall rendition is nicer, more appealling to the eye. and it does a great job with skin tones also.That and the Leica glass were a great combo. I just think that when they switched to an A7s + Sony Zoom (and it's a great zoom) the image lacked that extra pop, so it's not about IQ which is still great. 

Edit: check out Jon's Vlog 22, 10min00 in, there's the comparison, the combo of SL imagery + Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux ASPH FLE is just great IMHO.

DPReview posted the studio video samples. SL is just bad with aliasing artifacts everywhere, both in 1080 and 4k. I couldn't find a camera that performed worse. Shit, even the A7rii 4K in FF which many bitch about is better (last sample bellow). Color is not great either. Spending $7.5K to shoot video with this thing sounds just crazy to me. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.10.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.11.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.12.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.12.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.36.03 AM.png

• Super Members
45 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

DPReview posted the studio video samples. SL is just bad with aliasing artifacts everywhere, both in 1080 and 4k. I couldn't find a camera that performed worse. Shit, even the A7rii 4K in FF which many bitch about is better (last sample bellow). Color is not great either. Spending $7.5K to shoot video with this thing sounds just crazy to me. 

I see less moire than both the A7rii and A7sii and more detail than the NX1!!!

enny-26.md.jpg

But your right, buying a stills camera just for video is pretty crazy.