Editing monitor 1080p vs 4k?

zerocool22

Hey,

I own 2 24" monitors right now. But when opening Resolve/Premiere the layout does not really fold open really that great and the view is somewhat limited. So I am thinking about buying a 32" monitor. But here is my noob question should I go for 1080p or 4K. At this point I dont really care about the quality difference when viewing 4k video. But should the 4K screen not bring more resolution to the same size screen? And I could unfold more Premiere/Resolve Layout? Or is my thinking here wrong?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On Windows 10, if you go in to Display Settings you can change a percentage slider which will scale the size of the Premiere interface. Not sure about Resolve.

So yes, you can buy a bigger screen with a higher resolution and have the Premiere interface take up the same area relative to your current monitor. I have a 26" monitor and find that 1440p is plenty resolution for me. But at 32" you might want to go full 4K in terms of resolution. However, trying to find a 4K monitor that can be calibrated is probably very difficult / expensive.

I'm using a 43" 4k monitor and it has changed the way I work quite fundamentally. Screen size no longer being an issue let me use the center of the screen for what I need to see in detail and the borders for interfaces. The big downside is that I've had problems calibrating the screen accurately.

Whether you choose 4k or 1440p should depend more on the specific model you are looking at, but I strongly advice against buying a 1080p monitor. I would never be able to go back to one.

6 hours ago, UnclePau said:

I edit on an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. It gives the extra resolution to fit everything while also the extra width. I'd never go back.

This is the monitor I have. It supposedly has great color accuracy as well.
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95C-P-ultrawide-led-monitor

I second an ultrawide 34".  I find it the best balance of detail/screen size. They are expensive, but very much worth it.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:11 AM, Geoff CB said:

I second an ultrawide 34".  I find it the best balance of detail/screen size. They are expensive, but very much worth it.

i keep talking to more and more people who have gone ultrawide~! im thinkin about it. my friends have said, 'You wont get it until you try it, then youll love it'

@UnclePau the one you have looks pretty kewl, how are the viewing angles? 

On 2/10/2017 at 1:00 AM, kaylee said:

i keep talking to more and more people who have gone ultrawide~! im thinkin about it. my friends have said, 'You wont get it until you try it, then youll love it'

@UnclePau the one you have looks pretty kewl, how are the viewing angles? 

Sorry for the late reply. I have 2 acer monitors as well with garbage viewing angles, so I've grown accustomed to having to be dead on to see anything. Going back to my LG monitor, I find myself watching things at off angles and out of habit I re-align myself with the monitor only to find that the display looks exactly the same as my original viewing location. So...the viewing angles are excellent, and I never noticed how good it was until I went without it for a while.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

This LG ultra wide is interesting, what about 2 of those, does it make any sens or is it a waste of money (and space)? Are there any better ultra wide monitors?

What other monitors are must buy for editing right now, and not more than a thousand $?

Your looking at more than $1000 for anything 10-Bit that's also a decent size.

Still a big fan of the LG 31MU97-B I picked up a while back (open-box on Amazon for $700).  Fonts certainly are small at native res but so very sharp.  And the screen space is insane.. huge timeline in Premiere, full 1080 preview in a nice 1/4 of the screen, and of course just browsing the web I can have two or 3 browsers side-by-side in full res.

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-lg-electronics-ips-digital-cinema-31mu97-b-31-0-inch-screen-led-lit-monitor/

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Trouble with 4k monitors is the text is small as hell. I am old LoL, so I went with a 30" 2k IPS screen and am happy I did.

You can scale the display if the text is too small. Certainly with windows 10. That way you get larger text but also more detail available in your bitmapped images.

A lot of monitors, including the one I have, only have 2 options at what resolution it can scale. It is either full resolution or half. And half doesn't cut it.  But yeah you can modify text size but you loose full screen sometimes. You could end up not getting what you paid the big bucks for. If your younger it works out OK.

I think he means in your OS, not scaling in your monitor. I have a Lenovo laptop with a 15" 4k screen for travelling and within Windows 10 I have the scaling set to 250% because at 100% scaling you are nose up to the screen, giving up on hitting anything with your mouse clicks.