Moving from Nikon D5300 to Panasonic G80

Bizz

Hey guys. I would like to get some opinion on this. I have a Nikon D5300 and i only use it to record video. I also have two kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200 and two primes 28mm F2.8 series E and 50mm 1.8 series E (i never needed more glass to be honest so i didnt invest in other altough i was thinking on buying the sigma 17-50 2.8). I love the image that this camera can produce (i use Flaat_11) but it is a NIGHTMARE to use it while filming....grrrr. Im thinking about getting a G80/G85. So my question is: as long as i want to keep my primes (i like the seres E) is it worth it to buy with the kit lens (12-60)? (im going to sell the zooms and the nikon body)  What you guys think if i buy a focal reducer Nikon-M43 and use it with only Nikon glass? Thanks in advance guys.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The G85 is a great camera, but so is the Nikon. Some of my favorite work I've done has been with the D5500. So unless you need 4K or 5-axis IBIS, I would just keep the Nikon. But to answer your question, your Nikon lenses will work nicely with a focal reducer. You don't need the Metabones, but I would suggest at least springing for the Lens Turbo II. Good luck. 

Agree with Mercer's suggestion, but I'll add that if you do end up using a focal reducer with your Nikon glass, the extraordinary shallow depth of field and light gathering ability you'll get from your Nikons could very well make you quickly dissatisfied with a slow, variable aperture kit lens. 

Thanks for your reply mercer. Yeah, as i said i love the image (D5300 = D5500 in that aspect) but in my opinion this camera is a nightmare for video recording and the panasonic has focus peaking as zebras for example and that matters most to me than the 4k and IBIS (of course these are a plus).

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Agree with Mercer's suggestion, but I'll add that if you do end up using a focal reducer with your Nikon glass, the extraordinary shallow depth of field and light gathering ability you'll get from your Nikons could very well make you quickly dissatisfied with a slow, variable aperture kit lens. 

Yeah i know. My question was kind of "well...with the kit lens the price is just +100€...should i buy it anyway?" :)  

14 minutes ago, Bizz said:

Thanks for your reply mercer. Yeah, as i said i love the image (D5300 = D5500 in that aspect) but in my opinion this camera is a nightmare for video recording and the panasonic has focus peaking as zebras for example and that matters most to me than the 4k and IBIS (of course these are a plus).

Yeah i know. My question was kind of "well...with the kit lens the price is just +100€...should i buy it anyway?" :)  

Yeah, I hear you about the lack of zebras and focus peaking with the Nikon cameras. If the D5500 had peaking and metering with ai-s lenses, I would probable just use that camera... the image and color is so nice. IMO, Nikon colors blow away Panasonics, but that is subjective and I have seen some amazing work in this forum from that camera!

1 hour ago, Bizz said:

I didn't understand your question then, but if that's what you meant, you will be unable to exploit the fullest potential of the sensor with the kit lens, and personally, I wouldn't use it even if it were free. If budget is a consideration, you'd be better off investing in something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN (around $300.00 USD), and adding more lenses to your kit as your budget permits. But it sounds as if you've already made up your mind.

13 hours ago, jonpais said:

I didn't understand your question then, but if that's what you meant, you will be unable to exploit the fullest potential of the sensor with the kit lens, and personally, I wouldn't use it even if it were free. If budget is a consideration, you'd be better off investing in something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN (around $300.00 USD), and adding more lenses to your kit as your budget permits. But it sounds as if you've already made up your mind.

Hey Jonpais. No, no! Probably i gave you the wrong idea :) I know that in most cases Kit lenses are not very good (altough the nikon 18-55 vrII, for example, is sharper then i would have expected) but in this case i just wanted an opinion if even tough it is only 100€ if i should get it or not (a zoom lens always come in handy i guess) or if its too bad that i should for example wait and get the sigma 17-50 f2.8 nikon mount (budget wise). sigma 30mm i know that it is a good lens but right know i have the Nikon series E 28mm 2.8 thats "more or less" the same mm wise so before investing in another prime i think ill get a constant aperture zoom. Thanks for your response!

PS: I read that you have a G85...are you enjoying it? (menus and operation wise)

Doesn't that camera provide dual IS with image stabilized lenses? That might be a reason to get the kit lens, for stabilized handheld shots. A few of the Panasonic primes have stabilization. I know the 42.5mm f1.7 does. If it was me I'd rather use it with vintage glass or native m43 glass (where the lenses tend to be much smaller).

13 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Doesn't that camera provide dual IS with image stabilized lenses? That might be a reason to get the kit lens, for stabilized handheld shots. A few of the Panasonic primes have stabilization. I know the 42.5mm f1.7 does. If it was me I'd rather use it with vintage glass or native m43 glass (where the lenses tend to be much smaller).

I know that with that lens image is stabilized by the 5 axis in body + the lens stabilization but with vintage lens the body stabilization still works, right?

38 minutes ago, Bizz said:

I know that with that lens image is stabilized by the 5 axis in body + the lens stabilization but with vintage lens the body stabilization still works, right?

Yeah, but you don't get the full stabilization. I think it's up to 5 stops with Dual IS 2. I saw some footage and it was very impressive. Not sure if that camera does Dual IS 2 though.

You already have Nikon glass....early in the lens thread on this forum Andy, a very knowledgeable member, discussed the Nikon AFS F2.8 ED Zooms...the 28-70...and 80-200....Ianded up with both and also the 17-35....amazing glass...heavy, but the image quality is superb...I would save the money on the kit lens, and perhaps put it towards the 28-70...or the 17-35...with a speed booster it will turn into a 2.0 which is fast enough with the G80...it's worth reading the earlier lens threads and then several photographers  review these also...the 28-70 goes for between $550 to $800 on eBay but the build quality and optics are exceptional and it's like buying 3 or 4 primes in one lens...whatever speed booster you buy though, I would research with far more care!

14 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

You already have Nikon glass....early in the lens thread on this forum Andy, a very knowledgeable member, discussed the Nikon AFS F2.8 ED Zooms...the 28-70...and 80-200....Ianded up with both and also the 17-35....amazing glass...heavy, but the image quality is superb...I would save the money on the kit lens, and perhaps put it towards the 28-70...or the 17-35...with a speed booster it will turn into a 2.0 which is fast enough with the G80...it's worth reading the earlier lens threads and then several photographers  review these also...the 28-70 goes for between $550 to $800 on eBay but the build quality and optics are exceptional and it's like buying 3 or 4 primes in one lens...whatever speed booster you buy though, I would research with far more care!

Hey Fritz. Right now (even if the kit lens is weather sealed....its not like it is in my plans to shoot in the rain for example :D) my plan is getting the body only and keep the two series E with a focal reducer. Later, if ill have to shot an event, ill be getting the sigma 17-50 f2.8 (because of the limited budget). Those Nikons you mentioned i know them but they are too expensive :|

Understood...but I simply keep my GH cameras...Nikon glass is amazing if you're not bothered by reverse focus ring (some are)...but you land up with a future proof system with your existing Nikons and the path to adding on with the speedbooster adapter...if I remember correctly, I've seen some lovely footage from Jonpais with either the GX....(forget the model #) or the G80...the camera will do the job for you...

You're right...and personally, if you're going to put optics between your lens and the sensor, I would wait till I can afford the Metabones XL...you gain 1 1/3 stops which goes for all your Nikon glass you own now and acquire in the future...which is huge! I also think the crop is slightly larger than S35....could be wrong there...

4 hours ago, Bizz said:

As far as i can see there is no focal reducer with electronics (auto focus) for Nikon lenses. Not a deal breaker anyway! But i guess im right...am i?

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

You're right...and personally, if you're going to put optics between your lens and the sensor, I would wait till I can afford the Metabones XL...you gain 1 1/3 stops which goes for all your Nikon glass you own now and acquire in the future...which is huge! I also think the crop is slightly larger than S35....could be wrong there...

Because of the limited budget at the moment i guess im going to buy a roxsen focal reducer (Matthew Scott talks about it on his site). One thing i have in mind is that i am probably never going to invest on panasonic lens. If later i decide to switch that would be one less of a pain in the ass :) 

16 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes..if you buy Panny lenses they can be spendy...I have the 20mm 1.7 pancake and the 25mm 1.4...love both lenses but they're not cheap...I will probably buy the Leica 12-60 as its a very useful FOV range on a M4/3 sensor and I'm interested in the rack focus feature on the GH5...

Thank you for your constant feedback. Highly appreciated! Thinking about the future...its "sad" (and i guess im right) that metabones doesnt have an auto focus speedbooster with Nikon mount. Altough thats not my main concern. 

On 2/9/2017 at 9:48 AM, kidzrevil said:

I say go for it. I got mine with a metabones speedbooster xl and the nikkor glass I have looks really good on it. Stopped down to f4-5.6 the nikkors look crazy with the speedbooster

I watched some music videos by a friend last night shot on the GH4 and a cheap used 50mm f/1.4 AI lens with a $2.00 Chinese adapter. Stopped down to f/2 or f/2.8, it looked incredible.