Sony A6500 or Panasonic GH5...?

Secret Garden Films

7 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

I think In-focus to out-of-focus transition is more brutal with m43 sensor, creating some kind of harsh, artificial look.

So deeper DOF = artificial?

Where does super 16 fit into thos equation for you?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've shot heaps of weddings and I'd never go in with only one camera.

Thus I recommend the GH5 (or G80) as your A cam,  with a couple of G7 cameras on tripods for your B cam coverage

a6500 lacks this choice of excellent 4K cameras at dirt low prices which you can match easily to your A cam

While Panasonic has the G7

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've shot heaps of weddings and I'd never go in with only one camera.

Thus I recommend the GH5 (or G80) as your A cam,  with a couple of G7 cameras on tripods for your B cam coverage

a6500 lacks this choice of excellent 4K cameras at dirt low prices which you can match easily to your A cam

While Panasonic has the G7

Thanks, IronFilm, I'd been waiting months for an answer to that question. I would never go to a once in a lifetime event with only one camera, besides, it would be simpler to have a couple bodies with different lenses than changing them all the time.

I wouldn't even want to do a wedding with only one shooter...  Most weddings have two shooters filming it. (A few with 3 or more...)

But I understand if some low budget shoots might do it solo.

But for the ceremony and reception you absolutely want at least two more cameras rolling on a tripod. One a big wide shot to capture everything. And another tighter shot on the couple.

Then you'd roam with with your A Cam on a monopod, capturing all the juicy spontaneous moments.

If you can get more extra cameras... That is good too! Then you can put one tighter shot on Bride side and another on Groom side, and another pointing backwards at the guests.

I've shot weddings with half a dozen cameras rolling at once. 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, IronFilm, I'd been waiting months for an answer to that question. I would never go to a once in a lifetime event with only one camera, besides, it would be simpler to have a couple bodies with different lenses than changing them all the time.

+1 Jon!...just tell the bride & groom that you did not get their shots because your one perfect camera that can shoot in pitch black, but started overheating after 3 min had to be turned off for 10 min at a time, and you have a disaster on your hands that I personally would not want to be around for....and the emphasis is on "a once in a lifetime event"...no bring everybody back the next day for a reshoot...only sane way is with back ups for your back ups!

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

+1 Jon!...just tell the bride & groom that you did not get their shots because your one perfect camera that can shoot in pitch black, but started overheating after 3 min had to be turned off for 10 min at a time, and you have a disaster on your hands that I personally would not want to be around for....and the emphasis is on "a once in a lifetime event"...no bring everybody back the next day for a reshoot...only sane way is with back ups for your back ups!

Fake information!  The A6500 does not overheat after 3 min ...

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/10/14/sony-fix-overheating-issue-with-new-setting-on-the-a6500/

2 hours ago, wobba said:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/10/14/sony-fix-overheating-issue-with-new-setting-on-the-a6500/

Not meaning to state anything fake...nor offer a correct amount of time it takes for cameras that overheat to do so....I could not possibly care less about them than I do...hence my 3 min sarcastic statement.....nor was I even referring  to either the GH5 or the A6500 in my response to Jonpais' excellent post on a professional approach, to taking the responsibility for producing a capture of the most important day in 2 people's lives...so why don't you reread my post quoting Jon carefully and with comprehension...I will say though,now that you went and mentioned the Sony overheating, that I also would never  dream of bringing ANY camera, on a set  to do work. If a camera is not reliable and mechanically sound, it is not part of my kit

3 hours ago, wobba said:

I'm still seeing user reports of a6500 occasionally overheating.

And even if it didn't.... Thus then you could use it as your A cam for weddings, where oh where are your cheaper B cam options?? They don't exist! Not like the G7. And if you purchased 3x a6500 that would totally blow your budget.

4 minutes ago, Grégory LEROY said:

I've never talked about DOF, I think the artificial look is about in focus out of focus transition. I'm only watching m43 footage on youtube.

There's no getting around the small sensor look with m43.  APS-C is the sweet spot when you account for the 16:9 crop, providing generous looking DOF as well as lovely in-out focus transitons.  The difference in sensor size between APS-C and 4/3 is larger than it appears (when cropping to video formats) if you just compare absolute sensor sizes.  Cropping a 4/3 sensor to 16:9 requires sacrificing more sensor real estate than APS-C given the squarer proportions of a 4/3 sensor.  A 16:9 cropped 4/3 sensor is not that much larger than a 16:9 cropped 1" sensor.

51 minutes ago, wobba said:

There's no getting around the small sensor look with m43.  APS-C is the sweet spot when you account for the 16:9 crop, providing generous looking DOF as well as lovely in-out focus transitons.  The difference in sensor size between APS-C and 4/3 is larger than it appears (when cropping to video formats) if you just compare absolute sensor sizes.  Cropping a 4/3 sensor to 16:9 requires sacrificing more sensor real estate than APS-C given the squarer proportions of a 4/3 sensor.  A 16:9 cropped 4/3 sensor is not that much larger than a 16:9 cropped 1" sensor.

Wrong. Speed Booster (XL) will completely change the look.

3 hours ago, wobba said:

The difference in sensor size between APS-C and 4/3 is larger than it appears (when cropping to video formats) if you just compare absolute sensor sizes.  Cropping a 4/3 sensor to 16:9 requires sacrificing more sensor real estate than APS-C given the squarer proportions of a 4/3 sensor.  A 16:9 cropped 4/3 sensor is not that much larger than a 16:9 cropped 1" sensor.

The field of view of the GH5 in video mode is about 1.3x wider than the RX100 in video mode. APS-C in video mode has a field of view 1.35x bigger than GH5.

This is almost the same as the photo mode field of view difference of 1.33x between APS-C and M43. The difference the proportions of the sensors make is very minimal.

3 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

I've never talked about DOF, I think the artificial look is about in-focus out-of focus transition. I'm only watching m43 footage on youtube.

If you're not talking about DOF, it's totally psuedo-scientific and neaningless. What you're referring to is a property of the DOF, and if it applies to M43 then surely it must apply to S16 as well.

On 17.4.2017 at 2:27 AM, IronFilm said:

I've shot weddings with half a dozen cameras rolling at once. 

Had there been space left for other people to make it into the frame? I recently saw a doc on Brian De Palma, he said he always shot complicated action sequences with at least two, sometimes three cameras. But of course: he can repeat the shot, you can't. What I particularly like about wedding videos shot with many cameras is that people behave so naturally. And the real-time feeling only a seamless multicam edit can provide, like the best live-TV ceremonies. If you fluently cut from a medium shot to a close up of the rings. Or the kiss. It's so emotional. With one or even two cameras you are so limited. Total failure. Sad.

3 hours ago, Axel said:

Had there been space left for other people to make it into the frame? I recently saw a doc on Brian De Palma, he said he always shot complicated action sequences with at least two, sometimes three cameras. But of course: he can repeat the shot, you can't. What I particularly like about wedding videos shot with many cameras is that people behave so naturally. And the real-time feeling only a seamless multicam edit can provide, like the best live-TV ceremonies. If you fluently cut from a medium shot to a close up of the rings. Or the kiss. It's so emotional. With one or even two cameras you are so limited. Total failure. Sad.

Well my two camera weddings were epic with very natural people.