To MFT or not

dvcrn

I know I asked this question before but a lot changed in the recent weeks and now I'm asking again: what do you think, to mft or not?

I own a 80D and a em5II both with 1 lens. I love the features and size of my em5 but also the AF and colors of my 80D. Photography is important to me as well. 

My current options are:

1) sell the em5II+lens, buy ef-s glass and a eos m5 for portable photos (canon route)

2) sell the 80d + lens, buy mft glass and a gh5 (maybe swap the em5 for a small pen-f) (mft route)

3) sell the oly, buy a gh5, get efs glass with a speed booster and share lenses (hybrid route) 

I guess the struggle is which system I should invest into going forward. I would say mft if the af, preamps and colors of the canon wouldn't be so good. Also the m5 looks pretty interesting! 

Should I stop trying to focus on one system and treat photo and video entirely separate?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

I know I asked this question before but a lot changed in the recent weeks and now I'm asking again: what do you think, to mft or not?

I own a 80D and a em5II both with 1 lens. I love the features and size of my em5 but also the AF and colors of my 80D. Photography is important to me as well. 

My current options are:

1) sell the em5II+lens, buy ef-s glass and a eos m5 for portable photos (canon route)

2) sell the 80d + lens, buy mft glass and a gh5 (maybe swap the em5 for a small pen-f) (mft route)

3) sell the oly, buy a gh5, get efs glass with a speed booster and share lenses (hybrid route) 

I guess the struggle is which system I should invest into going forward. I would say mft if the af, preamps and colors of the canon wouldn't be so good. Also the m5 looks pretty interesting! 

Should I stop trying to focus on one system and treat photo and video entirely separate?

i guess it's important to know what you will be shooting: astrophotography, sports, macrophotography, weddings, product shots, fashion, eng, nature, independent cinema, architecture, low light, and on and on... 

You have to be more specific of your needs, but for amateur-ish users I would say go the hybrid route.

In the long long term Canon is King, and for most people, even the M5 is pretty good as a first camera.

GH5 will be the video standard soon, but obviously you can not buy it yet, or any time soon, as I am sure there will be a serious back order time delay, and if you do not know what really 10bit is, and how to process it, then it can be overkill (money and hardware wise) for what you do.

(if with "preamps" you are referring to mic pre-amps, then that is not a reason to buy into any of the photo/hybrid systems, as most are not adequate for paid jobs, and there are many ways to work around this issue anyway, and for cheap, so not something you really have to worry about).

If it were me, I'd probably go with m43 but a lot of Canon shooters end up very unhappy when they leave Canon. Only you have a good idea of what's important to you and what direction you'd be happier going in. For me, something like the GX8 replacement with the upcoming Laowa 7.5mm f2, the 20mm Panasonic, the 20mm Mitakon 4.5x macro, and the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 plus a couple flashes would be all I need. Maybe add the Panasonic 100-400mm if you're into birding. The only reason I'd prefer a hypothetical GX9 over a Pen F is because I've heard the 20mm is not nearly as fast on Olympus bodies compared to the new Panasonic cameras.

8 hours ago, dvcrn said:

My current options are:

Option 1 and you end up with two very similar cameras (same sensor in each?)     Option 2 and the cameras are different enough that the current camera would be a back up and the GH5 would have a lot more in specs over the other choices.

Option 3 works for me.      I like using cameras with different sensor sizes but still being able to use the same lenses.     I do think FF and M4/3 make a better mix but APSC and M4/3 would still be nice.