Magic Lantern 5D IV development funds

zerocool22

Hey,

Not sure if this allowed but I would like to draw attention to the development of magic lantern for the 5D IV. The developers dont have access to a 5D IV and dont got much time for it. So I would like to get as many people to raise funds for the developers(buy 5D IV, buying time) so they can hopefully crack the 5D IV. 

As they long prolonged the life of my canon 550D and my 5D III, and I got a lot of pleasure of the camera's thanks to the ML team.

Here is a link to their bitcoin donation page. 

Anything helps!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/donate.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Think the time of Magic Lantern is over (active developing wise). It was cool with the T2i/550D and 5DmkII&III, but there's so many great ready to shoot cameras now, that I doubt it makes sense to exploit a camera that doesn't want to be exploited. Panasonic and Sony embrace new options, if you must get a Canon, shoot 5DMIII MLRAW, or get a 1D C/1DX Mark II, I'd say. But gd luck if you still feel like it's something to put money, time and effort into.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Think the time of Magic Lantern is over (active developing wise). t I doubt it makes sense to exploit a camera that doesn't want to be exploited.

Exactly, if you take a look of the supported camera they haven't released any solid firmware for years now. http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ The most recent one are the 5Dmk3 and 700D... With Canon being so behind now, especially with the 5D4, I think the dev team decided to move on and focus on more interesting projects instead of trying to rescue crippled camera from the 90s.

I'm still using the 6D and 5D3 here. Going to buy the GH5 and waiting for the next generation of Sony A7.

I bought a 50D just for using it with magic lantern. I get full HD raw for €250 (using anamorphic).
If you go with a 5d mk2, you get full HD raw (13+ stops DR with dual ISO) for ~€1000.

Yes it is a hack, but you have to love what it gives you for the price. If you don't wanna go with blackmagic in a tight budget, this is the only way to get raw !

But as you said, the 5D mk4 is an expensive camera, and it doesn't offer much. I think the ML team should concentrate on the unfinished projects first (Dual ISO video for 7D/50D & 10-12bit raw for 5d mk2 / 50D). There is still some humph to get from these 5+ y-o cameras :) I wonder how the apertus project is going, if I remember correctlyctly, some developpers came from ML dev team.

Well if the 5D IV gets RAW it will certainly be the best image in that pricerange and probably 3k above. I am using a A7S ii right now, but the step up to the next league is so big. (C300 II, Kinefinity Terra, RED Dragon/even MX), and I have pretty much used about every camera beneath the Scarlet x including the C300 I. And I have to say the 5D III was still the best image so far, and the 5D IV improved its specs allround (resolution,DR, lowlight), . So the 5D IV RAW would fill quite a large gap in camera's, and I would certainly upgrade to it. So the ML hack for the 5D IV is for me atleast the only affordable camera that I would love to upgrade too.

im so happy with my 5d3 for raw, i wish ml would develop for more cameras, but as it has been said that feels unlikely right now

id love a 2k raw mode for the 5div (assuming that 4k is impossible), but what i think id like even more is a body that has a *flippy screen* AND dpaf like the 80d with continuous raw... and just for the record thats coming from someone who is happy with manual focus for video, dpaf is amazing and super useful ?

I also think ML is not going to be what it was in the past ever again, there are so many good solutions around for much less money than a 5DmkIV, but anyway if the price drop by a miracle in the next 2-3 years, it could be a solution for many people….canon colors still the best!!!

Totally agree with zerocool22. 

I will wait a new port of ML on the 5DIV before to know if i have to buy the GH5 or not. 

When i see how fast the ML devs are active these lasts mounths, i prefer take my time and stay with my 5D2/5D3 ML RAW. 

Something say me the port should be done in the end of 2017, in the middle with luck. 

@Cassius McGowan the hack is now very stable, and should be as well on the 5DIV. 

22 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

I also think ML is not going to be what it was in the past ever again, there are so many good solutions around for much less money than a 5DmkIV, but anyway if the price drop by a miracle in the next 2-3 years, it could be a solution for many people….canon colors still the best!!!

Not with RAW. RAW is supposed to be unprocessed data off the sensor.

16 hours ago, SlanderShot said:

Totally agree with zerocool22. 

I will wait a new port of ML on the 5DIV before to know if i have to buy the GH5 or not. 

When i see how fast the ML devs are active these lasts mounths, i prefer take my time and stay with my 5D2/5D3 ML RAW. 

Something say me the port should be done in the end of 2017, in the middle with luck. 

@Cassius McGowan the hack is now very stable, and should be as well on the 5DIV. 

The 5D4 is a different system, so presuming that ML on it would be stable is a big presumption.

To be honest, if Magic Lantern team can ever get a usable preview for 10 bit recording then I'd be very happy to stick with continuous 24p 2.8k 10bit on the 5D3 for a number of years yet. The downsample for HD or 2K DCP delivery would just tighten up the resolution nicely while still allowing for a little wiggle room with stabilisation or reframing.

At the moment the preview freezes when recording in the crop mode that allows resolutions above 1080.

25 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

To be honest, if Magic Lantern team can ever get a usable preview for 10 bit recording then I'd be very happy to stick with continuous 24p 2.8k 10bit on the 5D3 for a number of years yet. The downsample for HD or 2K DCP delivery would just tighten up the resolution nicely while still allowing for a little wiggle room with stabilisation or reframing.

At the moment the preview freezes when recording in the crop mode that allows resolutions above 1080.

Oh yes, I didnt think off continious recording of 10bit on higher resolutions, but that could be indeed great. 

13 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

10 bit just isn't enough for raw as the data is encoded in linear space and not log space. You would get too much noise (see examples on ML forum).
12 bits looks the same than 14 bits though, so that's great :) 

Again, I think we are dreaming here. The dev team was doing a great work back in the days when Canon revolutionized the enthusiast industry with DSLR video. It's history now, Canon just stays in IDLE (or even backward) while Sony and Panasonic are years ahead. I don't know what could motive the dev team  to spend hundreds of hours to work on outdated hardware.

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well we still got a 4K RAW 1.74x camera. Which is not full frame but aint that bad either. 

Minus the fact that the memory cards won't be able to record 14bit 4k RAW because it's only a CF + SD card slot and you have no CFast. You'd need the 1Dx II for that and we already know that so far ML never did the 1series.