Shot on iPhone 7... stunning

Jimmy

Nobody is saying it is a Red camera, but it is a 4k camera that just happens to fit in your pocket and you have with you 24/7. And yes people have made a few big time full feature movies with them. Do the people in the audience know that, doubt they care if it is a good story with good audio.

I would use one over a old 8mm to make a movie. I have no clue why people discourage new, young or old people from learning the craft of movie making. A cell phone is a great way to see if you are really interested, or talented at it enough to move up. It is basically free to experiment with. Why the hate I have no  clue.

I would imagine the pace at what cell phones have advanced on video has had a good influence on the big boys. Pretty embarrassing to have a cheap ass cell phone do 4k and try to sell a camera for 6000 bucks that doesn't. :grimace:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

for xmas my wife bought me the DJI Osmo Mobile and a Moondog Labs anamorphic lens. I shot a ton of footage with my iphone 7 at the womens march in los angeles. I don't think i'd shoot anything other than travel/personal videos with this combo, but it *is* a lot of fun. here's a sample ungraded clip. if you watch closely, you'll spot zach woods from the show, silicon valley.

@webrunner5 do not take me wrongwrong, whatever works to whoever!

Something is much better than nothing, and I am pretty sure talented people can make amazing movies with a hand made camera obscura, I trully believe that, and if I tell you what kind of equipment I have used in my entire life, iPhone seems like a space rocket!

My points are:

1) iPhone is NOT even the best camera phone, why we have threads like "incredible iPhone movie" and not "amazing Samsung S7", or "HTC and Google movies" etc??

2) the price of acquiring a latest iPhone, with NO SD card option (so, not much space for recording video, really) and a couple of extras you need, exceed the price of an equally (or better) good Android phone (have you checked the Xiaomis lately?) + a cheap, small and light 4K mirrorless camera kit, and I am sure you know that "4K" isn't really the real deal, or else C100 cameras would have been burned on sight.

3) the quality is perfectly fine for 90% of the people, but I am not one of those, and ofcourse I am expressing personal opinions, and latest iPhone pictures are not even close to my cheapest (and smallest) mirrorless, with my cheapest (and worst, but a zoom nevertheless) lens.

Any good small pancake from any system (Sigmas, Canon M 22m, NX 30mm etc) and any mirrorless after 2013 is SO much better than the latest phone cameras.

People in this (and other) forums debate m4/3, crop sensors and full frame ones, and suddenly sensors smaller than half of my smallest nail are adequate to produce (technically) amazing stuff?

Personally, my sweet spot is 1.5X (for a lot of reasons), and I don't like debating for sensors sizes as it is mostly a personal desicion and everybody have its arguments, but mobile phones are perfect for old compact camera users, still there is a small pro/semi pro/enthusiastic segment, which I am part of, that compact cameras of the past and new, are not right for us (and I am not talking about the thousands of euros Sony, Fuji and the other high end compacts of course!).

10 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

for xmas my wife bought me the DJI Osmo Mobile and a Moondog Labs anamorphic lens. I shot a ton of footage with my iphone 7 at the womens march in los angeles. I don't think i'd shoot anything other than travel/personal videos with this combo, but it *is* a lot of fun. here's a sample ungraded clip. if you watch closely, you'll spot zach woods from the show, silicon valley.

Yeah I have a Moondog Labs Anamorphic lens also. Pretty nice piece of glass for the money.

Kisaha  I have the 128gb version so it is pretty good for video memory space. I am not a big Apple fan but there is so many more apps and hardware items available for them it is a no brainier to use them. I got started in 4k on my Samsung Note 4, so not a Apple snob.

And Nobody uses a P&S in this day and age get real. :astonished:

That is what I said, nobody uses a P&S because they have camera phones and it is perfectly fine for those people.

iphone 7S 128GB costs 1079euros = 1155$, you get real! you can buy an editing computer with these money, and a 24" monitor.

Xiaomi redmi note 4 64GB(4100mAh battery) 269euros + 128GB Samsung EVO for 50euros = 320euros 

Samsung NX500 kit bought new with 2 batteries and external charger = 520euros

Total: 840euros, and 240euros more left for cases, screen protectors, coffee on the go for a couple of months, and a super market bill for the family.

https://www.placemall.gr/Technology/Technology-Telephony/Telephony--Mobile-Phones/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-dual-sim-64gb-gold-1003-105978?mfp=manufacturers[88]&sort=p.price&order=ASC

I rest my case here.

@Kisaha I just don't understand the case you're resting. Nobody ever said that the iPhone 7 is better than any camera. Obviously for the same or less money you can get a camera  that will give you better results. The point of the post is that most people have a phone on them and when you're freed of gear, you can use a phone to capture the heart of the subject and in most cases nobody will notice the difference that it wasn't shot with a better camera.

@mercer 1) price/performance ratio 2) for the same purpose one can use a portion of an iPhone's money for a similar results phone 3) with similar (but less) iPhone's money you can have a better camera phone (iPhone barely makes it to the top 10 at DxO) 4) a small modern mirrorless is not that big to have at all times (and I gave the example of a few pancake lenses on some systems). 5) performance/price ration (I do not know which version is the right one) but to pay more money for lesser results, it is counterproductive in my book. 5) look at 2 and 3.

I am super pro people using their media devices, just saying there are other options too. Just that.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

@Kisaha I just don't understand the case you're resting. Nobody ever said that the iPhone 7 is better than any camera. Obviously for the same or less money you can get a camera  that will give you better results. The point of the post is that most people have a phone on them and when you're freed of gear, you can use a phone to capture the heart of the subject and in most cases nobody will notice the difference that it wasn't shot with a better camera.

But this point is completely moot, because you can't do what you say under realistic conditions. You are not freed of gear, but you need more gear and rigging for your phone - stabilizers, ND filter attachments, external audio recording -  than you need for a cheaper camera with decent onboard audio and a stabilized lens. [Almost any cheap Panasonic mirrorless body ticks those boxes, or Sony's RX10 cameras].

But the real point is that all the demo videos listed above were shot with Filmic Pro in highest quality settings (100 Mbps). That means: 750 MB storage per recorded minute. Most iPhone user won't have enough free space on their phones to just casually shoot high-quality video with it.

Plus people HAVE confused the dicussion and made it about how iphone video really is better than say.. a d750. It also gets weird when it's the newest iphone with 4k etc, trying to be fancy. Someone might use it to "simplify" and still say no one should ever shoot video on an iphone 6 -_-

Regardless, being able to change focal length makes absolutely everything more appealing to me than a phone

24 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@mercer 1) price/performance ratio 2) for the same purpose one can use a portion of an iPhone's money for a similar results phone 3) with similar (but less) iPhone's money you can have a better camera phone (iPhone barely makes it to the top 10 at DxO) 4) a small modern mirrorless is not that big to have at all times (and I gave the example of a few pancake lenses on some systems). 5) performance/price ration (I do not know which version is the right one) but to pay more money for lesser results, it is counterproductive in my book. 5) look at 2 and 3.

I am super pro people using their media devices, just saying there are other options too. Just that.

Again I don't think anyone is arguing against your points.

21 minutes ago, cantsin said:

But this point is completely moot, because you can't do what you say under realistic conditions. You are not freed of gear, but you need more gear and rigging for your phone - stabilizers, ND filter attachments, external audio recording -  than you need for a cheaper camera with decent onboard audio and a stabilized lens. [Almost any cheap Panasonic mirrorless body ticks those boxes, or Sony's RX10 cameras].

But the real point is that all the demo videos listed above were shot with Filmic Pro in highest quality settings (100 Mbps). That means: 750 MB storage per recorded minute. Most iPhone user won't have enough free space on their phones to just casually shoot high-quality video with it.

It's not moot because the point of the post is... look what you can do with an iPhone 7... The End.

11 minutes ago, Liam said:

Plus people HAVE confused the dicussion and made it about how iphone video really is better than say.. a d750. It also gets weird when it's the newest iphone with 4k etc, trying to be fancy. Someone might use it to "simplify" and still say no one should ever shoot video on an iphone 6 -_-

Regardless, being able to change focal length makes absolutely everything more appealing to me than a phone

Sometimes the best camera made is the one you have with you. 

No, just no.

Any filmmaker here will understand that actually shooting a decent piece gives actual sensible and intelectual pleasure.

That is of course linked to the actual ergonomics of the video camera/DSLR. Phones give you NONE of this real pleasure.

In fact, I would call it a pain. 

They are great for "guerrilla-style" video productions, but little else (and family pics, of course).

16 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Ha. He was looking right at your camera too.