Shot on iPhone 7... stunning

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks nice! Does look very phone like, something about the sharp deep DOF, but proves you can do it on a phone these days if the aesthetic suits the content.

Content wise that was full cave-aged cheddar, the orbiting the guy on a rock playing a mandolin actually made me LOL. But ya know, that's wedding films.

If you watch it on a bigger screen, the oversharpened edges and lack of true image detail is still quite visible.

By shooting the video under brightest sunlight in the desert, the makers avoided the low-light/noise limitations of the phone's small sensor. In addition, the phone must have been rigged for the smooth camera movements, and there must have been external audio recording (probably with lavalier mics). Likely, ND filters were used on the phone to tame keep the shutter/avoid stroboscopic motion.

If you consider the rigging and gear you need to make this work, the camera becomes a minor factor. A Panasonic LX100 or G7 would have been cheaper than the iPhone, caused less hassle for the operator, and it would have produced a superior image.

Not to mention that ergonomics and usabiltiy of a phone during a high pressure shoot like a wedding would be a nightmare. 

Sometimes it seems like a pointless attempt to be like "look what we can do", when they could take any low end camera and a better job 100x easier. 

5 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Nope, you can find gimbals that perfectly stabilize an iphone for a few hundreds, what are u talking about. 

I am talking about the video you referenced. 

These "shot on a iPhone" videos are mostly show-off piece for either their makers or Apple (who might have sponsored them via influencer marketing). I'm not that impressed unless someone shoots a good/interesting video with a bare-bones iPhone - no rigs, no gimbals, no hacked-on ND filters, no external sound recording.

Only a couple of hipsters would be happy with an iPhone wedding video, and only a "naive" and only-care-about-the-hype hipster would use such equipment for a professional video. I am not even use the unstable Sony's for this reason, and nothing AUTO, I can't imagine using a phone for a paying job.

There are better camera phones, why not a Samsung or a Google camera then??

I agree that one can achieve great things with whatever medium chooses (from super 8 to camera phones), but a few days ago, my NX3000+16-50 pz kit lens out performed every camera phone (mostly iPhones) that my friends and familu used to record a social event we had. And that combo costed me 1/4 of an iPhone. Plus, with the exceptional Samsung app I moved all the pictures to my Xiaomi and shared instantly. Oh, and I had a real lens, doing real lenses stuff.

P.s my mobile phone+camera combo costed me half the money of the latest iPhones my friends are having, and they do more things, with better processing power, and the NX3000 WITH THE KIT lens, was in my jackets left pocket,it is even smaller with the exceptional 30mm/2f pancake.

5 hours ago, cantsin said:

I am talking about the video you referenced. 

These "shot on a iPhone" videos are mostly show-off piece for either their makers or Apple (who might have sponsored them via influencer marketing). I'm not that impressed unless someone shoots a good/interesting video with a bare-bones iPhone - no rigs, no gimbals, no hacked-on ND filters, no external sound recording.

There is nothing more than a gimbal in the video, and what I said is that you can get the exact same result with a basic gimbal. 

I don't know what are your problems. For a phone, considering the size the image quality is really good. Now that it's not gonna replace your C300 we all know that, no need to try to be so negative

12 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

There is nothing more than a gimbal in the video, and what I said is that you can get the exact same result with a basic gimbal. 

I don't know what are your problems. For a phone, considering the size the image quality is really good. Now that it's not gonna replace your C300 we all know that, no need to try to be so negative

No, sorry, but a $300 iphone gimbal will never give the same quality stabilization as an iPhone tacked on a RED camera body on a Movi stabilizer. This is simply a matter of physics (i.e. weight resulting in inertia). Just as panning a lightweight camera on a mid-range Manfrotto video tripod won't give you the same cinematic pans as using a RED, ARRI or Panaflex camera on a professional Vinten or Miller cinema tripod.

And, again, these demos are somewhat pointless given the fact that an iPhone is more expensive than many cameras that shoot better quality video. Really, none of the videos above impress me (they roughly reach the quality level of a GH1 or GH2), but I am watching them on a calibrated 27" monitor in close viewing distance.

Not being negative, just critical. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The point has been missed a bit.... I'm not suggesting the iphone is a great tool for wedding videos... or that it is a cheap way to do it.

All I'm saying is that the composition, editing, sound etc have made this look really good and something we often lose focus of

Jimmy pls, the average viewer actually ONLY cares about DoF, dynamic range and how heavy the rig was.

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Only a couple of hipsters would be happy with an iPhone wedding video, and only a "naive" and only-care-about-the-hype hipster would use such equipment for a professional video. I am not even use the unstable Sony's for this reason, and nothing AUTO, I can't imagine using a phone for a paying job.

There are better camera phones, why not a Samsung or a Google camera then??

I agree that one can achieve great things with whatever medium chooses (from super 8 to camera phones), but a few days ago, my NX3000+16-50 pz kit lens out performed every camera phone (mostly iPhones) that my friends and familu used to record a social event we had. And that combo costed me 1/4 of an iPhone. Plus, with the exceptional Samsung app I moved all the pictures to my Xiaomi and shared instantly. Oh, and I had a real lens, doing real lenses stuff.

P.s my mobile phone+camera combo costed me half the money of the latest iPhones my friends are having, and they do more things, with better processing power, and the NX3000 WITH THE KIT lens, was in my jackets left pocket,it is even smaller with the exceptional 30mm/2f pancake.

I shoot a lot on my iPhone 6s Plus. It is a lot better than you think with the proper apps. It is a low light beast no, is a MFT camera a low light best no. BM cameras are not low light beasts either.

Lots of high end stuff does not do 4k, but iPhones do. So that is a edge also. And I have it with me all the time, so that is a plus also. And they have OIS on them also. And my Came TV 32 bit Gimbal cost me 299 bucks, a big plus money wise.

Some of you guys sound like the old turds on DPR. Anything phone related Has to be crap. Far from it.

@webrunner5 I have the pictures on my 27inch screen. Don't you think that I have used an iPhone (I do not live in Afghanistan caves, and even there, I am sure some tribal leaders own Apple devices) before or recently?

Nothing mysterious about it or magic, the 3-5 years old Samsung sensor with the kit lens is superior in any possible way, and I have it with me at all times too. I do not even care to carry my NX500 with me, which is 28mgpxls APS-C BSI and by the way, it is almost the same size as the NX3000 (though, a bit heavier, but slightly). 

Also, iphone is 9-12 in camera phones, with 3 other devices with the same score, it is not even at the top of its segment, gimme a brake with iPhones and secluded hipsterist systems. With the same money you can buy most cameras+1 lens+1 equal (or a bit less) Android phones. Even a LX100 is a joy to use, and can have it with you at all times.

I do not know your background, but if you are so sure about your equipment, you are pretty welcomed to use it professionally at all times, no one denies you this right.