Your favorite anamorphic look.

redimp

Currently I'm trying to understand how to proceed with my gear, what to buy, what to let go and what to keep, and what "look" do I want to achieve.

Of course anyone's desired look depends on what they're shooting, but I think everyone has their "holy grail" type of look, the one that they dream about, that they think about when going to sleep. I've hear people saying that they've got into shooting anamorphic, or even shooting in general after seeing a scene, or a movie, that they were really touched or moved by.

And as I'm trying to visualize that look that I want to achieve (not saying that I can, it's more like a dream look for me), I think of scenes from The Grand Budapest Hotel, or The Royal Tennenbaums, or Interstellar. Hateful Eight is probably the best thing I've ever seen, aesthetically. All of them are featuring great, amazing anamorphic aesthetics, that are probably the reason why I'm into  shooting those lousy videos of mine.

So I'm very curious, what is your dream look when it goes to anamorphics? What scenes give you the shivers?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Panavision C-series is THE look. That is what everyone thinks of when they imagine the ideal anamorphic image. Blade Runner, Die Hard. Alien, Pulp Fiction. Chinatown. Punch-Drunk Love. The list goes on and on. It's the perfect combination of crisp blue flares, fall-off, vignetting, creamy bokeh, vertical breathing and barrel distortion. Entire films have been shot on the 40mm lens alone.

That said, there's a set of Lomo Roundfronts at the rental house where I work, and they look pretty sweet as well. Lots of distortion, unpredictable flares and aberrations, all the weird funky shit you get with old Soviet glass. I love 'em.

2 hours ago, BrooklynDan said:

P

That said, there's a set of Lomo Roundfronts at the rental house where I work, and they look pretty sweet as well. Lots of distortion, unpredictable flares and aberrations, all the weird funky shit you get with old Soviet glass. I love 'em.

Well at 40 to 50 grand for the trio used I would hope they are pretty nice! But they are not too bad to rent, and they are one of the better lens sets to use for sure. Nice look.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well a 57 Chevy was probably only 1200 bucks new either but now... :grin:

On a serious note if you have a 40 million budget on a film I don't think owning a trio of those is a bad investment, not counting they are a tax write off in the end. And you can rent them out to poor people like us.