SLR Magic Anamorphot 1,33x-40 on LX100 4K

Sebastien Farges

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can You please share some impressions using this setup?

In particular:

- which focal length and f-stop did You use?

- is it hard to see/frame scene on in-build display?

- is it hard to focus?

- is it heavy (look like is going to break the lens over time :)) ?

• 5 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this topic, as I totally missed it the first time around. But please explain how you are attaching this heavy anamorphic adapter to the built in lens on the LX100? Don't the threads move? and if they do, would not such a heavy adapter ruin the lens in short order?

14 hours ago, DBounce said:

I'm going to resurrect this topic, as I totally missed it the first time around. But please explain how you are attaching this heavy anamorphic adapter to the built in lens on the LX100? Don't the threads move? and if they do, would not such a heavy adapter ruin the lens in short order?

it's explained here :

8 hours ago, Sebastien Farges said:

it's explained here :

Nice! I have been following your exploits for a little while now. You seem to be one of the few that have fully embraced anamorphic. With that said I wonder if I could ask your thoughts on the SLR Magic anamorphic solutions. In one of your videos you show an adapter that has the Rangefinder built in which is part of a kit that includes the taking lens. Do you know the model number of this kit? Also, for the GH5, given that it will do 6k anamorphic (4:3), do you feel a 2x anamorphic makes more sense, or does the added size of the 2x anamorphic make it unworkable for run and gun situations?

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@DBounce...this was shot on the SLRmagic 1.33 x 40 Anamorphot Adapter and a little Panasonic 25mm f1.7...all handheld on the GH5 in C4K 16x9 aspect ratio...not my footage.

It look pretty clean, and honestly for me the cleaner look is preferred. But the real question is, does it make sense to go this route with 6k around the corner. But another question is will slow-mo be possible in 4:3 aspect ratio. If not that may be further food for thought. 

@DBounceI like the look of this too...and unlike the 50 ((I have one) this is a single focus adapter and honestly, I prefer the optical quality too...I also own the Kowa 2x 16H, but it's much harder to shoot with. This looks incredible...especially because it's all handheld...he was walking around with this adapter screwed onto the 15mm Panny and the GH5 in his hands...he posted a 2nd one in this series that I will pass on to you when I find it...this lens defeats the normal weakness of anamorphic though...i.e. you can shoot wider open and hold on to edges of things....everything does not turn to mush

The adapter

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334046-REG/slr_magic_slrac_40133_anamorphot_1_33x_40_adapter.html

and another clip with the same setup

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@DBounceI like the look of this too...and unlike the 50 ((I have one) this is a single focus adapter and honestly, I prefer the optical quality too...I also own the Kowa 2x 16H, but it's much harder to shoot with. This looks incredible...especially because it's all handheld...he was walking around with this adapter screwed onto the 15mm Panny and the GH5 in his hands...he posted a 2nd one in this series that I will pass on to you when I find it...this lens defeats the normal weakness of anamorphic though...i.e. you can shoot wider open and hold on to edges of things....everything does not turn to mush

The adapter

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334046-REG/slr_magic_slrac_40133_anamorphot_1_33x_40_adapter.html

and another clip with the same setup

Surely this is not from the compact adapter. All the video I have seen from that looked awful. Are you certain this is from the compact adapter? Ok I'm viewing this on my smartphone... I need to get to a larger monitor. I hope it looks this good on my MacBook ?

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Surely this is not from the compact adapter. All the video I have seen from that looked awful. Are you certain this is from the compact adapter? Ok I'm viewing this on my smartphone... I need to get to a larger monitor. I hope it looks this good on my MacBook ?

I picked the clip up on DVXUser...a member used the 1.33 40 SLRMagic Anamorphot with a 25mm f1.7  Panny lens...shooting 16x9...immediately caught my attention...you can google the thread by searching GH5 as anamorphic travel camera...it turns up DVXUser and you can see the questions from other members too...I have the 1.33 SLRMagic 50 ...quite a bit bigger...and frankly not as good a result as he's getting...although the GH5 no doubt helps...anyway...give me your thoughts, once you check it out...I'm tempted to buy it to use with my SLRMagic 25 T.95...but I've also been looking at the Veydras...I have to check the specs...this fits on a 52mm filter thread lens or step up ring...down to 25mm wide on M4/3...which is wide for a taking lens with an adapter.

Edit: just watched Painters Garden again...the thing that's the teachable moment for me in his short is, he was just walking around filming....hand held...when he is in focus the detail is great....under controlled conditions (narrative of any kind), if one nails focus, the old fashioned way with a measuring tape and marks, this adapter produces great detail and lovely Cinema Scope...might just have to spend the 499 to try it out.

PS...too small to us on the Veydra Mini Primes...I know you got the 16...although maybe it would work on the longer Vedras...one would have to step down from the filter thread size, which would move the adapter rear element farther away from the taking lens...anyway...worth investigating??

10 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I picked the clip up on DVXUser...a member used the 1.33 40 SLRMagic Anamorphot with a 25mm f1.7  Panny lens...shooting 16x9...immediately caught my attention...you can google the thread by searching GH5 as anamorphic travel camera...it turns up DVXUser and you can see the questions from other members too...I have the 1.33 SLRMagic 50 ...quite a bit bigger...and frankly not as good a result as he's getting...although the GH5 no doubt helps...anyway...give me your thoughts, once you check it out...I'm tempted to buy it to use with my SLRMagic 25 T.95...but I've also been looking at the Veydras...I have to check the specs...this fits on a 52mm filter thread lens or step up ring...down to 25mm wide on M4/3...which is wide for a taking lens with an adapter.

Edit: just watched Painters Garden again...the thing that's the teachable moment for me in his short is, he was just walking around filming....hand held...when he is in focus the detail is great....under controlled conditions (narrative of any kind), if one nails focus, the old fashioned way with a measuring tape and marks, this adapter produces great detail and lovely Cinema Scope...might just have to spend the 499 to try it out.

PS...too small to us on the Veydra Mini Primes...I know you got the 16...although maybe it would work on the longer Vedras...one would have to step down from the filter thread size, which would move the adapter rear element farther away from the taking lens...anyway...worth investigating??

The only problem with the compact is the specs for the taking lens's front element's width..,. 40mm, all of my lenses for the GH5 are wider than that and do would not work without vignetting. I may pick up a new lens to use with this. Honestly, it this performs like in the video, and with autofocus, then it's a winner. My paired with the Panasonic 35-100mm MKII? I'm pretty excited to try this out. 

On second thought, it seems all his videos lack any DOF. Everything must be stopped down, which explains why the shots are sharp. I can see an use for this adapter, and the size is very attractive, but I think the 1.33 50 with Rangefinder is a better choice.

13 hours ago, DBounce said:

The only problem with the compact is the specs for the taking lens's front element's width..,. 40mm, all of my lenses for the GH5 are wider than that and do would not work without vignetting. I may pick up a new lens to use with this. Honestly, it this performs like in the video, and with autofocus, then it's a winner. My paired with the Panasonic 35-100mm MKII? I'm pretty excited to try this out. 

On second thought, it seems all his videos lack any DOF. Everything must be stopped down, which explains why the shots are sharp. I can see an use for this adapter, and the size is very attractive, but I think the 1.33 50 with Rangefinder is a better choice.

I have the 1.33 50 and rangefinder...I've hardly played with it though....it's a considerably bigger lens...so it can match bigger taking lenses...your point re the depth of field is well taken, but what is encouraging for me is the stealth of this adapter...and when he was shooting the copper pots in the the kitchen per example, he had to be a bit wider open,no noise in the image, so he was probably at around 2.8 or something close and the detail is lovely and the image holds an edge...I'll try and shoot a simple test on the 1.33 50 with Rangefinder, if I get time in the next couple of weeks...if I get anything decent I'll email you the result...I have a friend in the US now though, who can bring the 40 back for me...very tempting for 499...always thought it had to be 2x but the 1.33 in 16x9 gives a nice scope...I'm less  concerned about oval bokeh and more with a clean image that does not distract from the story. I can't stand mushy footage??and focus?...I see so much footage out of focus on the internet...thought your GH5 time lapse footage in your kitchen/dining room? Looked  great by the way...the color...the grade...spot on...the GH5 is a really impressive camera in the right hands!

PS. the other thing I wonder is, does it matter if the front element is bigger than 40mm...not unlike using a FF lens on a m4/3 sensor...I think it would be more a question of the step don ring creating distance, which may affect the image adversely...anyway...I'll probably just buy it??I love anamorphic, but even the extremely expensive anamorphics are a nightmare in low light...in fact top DPs shooting features in anamorphic will often cheat with aspherical lenses for low light shots and crop the aspect ratio to the real anamorhic footage.....