Canon 1DC vs The Red Epic

FilmMan

I mentioned that I turned to the dark side and purchased the 1DC.  I have been losing alot of sleep due to testing the crap out of the camera - I'm a slow learner and make alot of mistakes.   I noticed some guys (not me) posted a quick comparison to some Red Epic (shot in 5K) vs the the Canon 1DC (these guys only used Canon glass).  From my experience so far with the 1DC, it is quite incredible.  The link follows.  

http://vimeo.com/groups/eos1dc/videos/60140775

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 10 months later...

Odie,  

The 1DC is actually quite an amazing camera.  I've been experimenting since I first bought it.   It is a tool and part of the equation for a production.  The 1DC has its strengths and it has its weaknesses.  By experimenting, I am able to go around a corner faster but I still do slide off the road - if that makes sense.   When I think I have mastered something, I mess up.  Messing up is part of learning, at least that is what I keep telling myself.  

I use Canon Log  - amazing at times and it can suck the big one at times depending upon the situation(if I light incorrectly).  Lighting properly is important.  Muddy waters if lighting is too weak.   The latitude, imo, is around 13 stops with Leica lenses ( I like the Leica).  Depending upon the lighting,  green fringing can show in the shadows especially in blonde hair (purple at times too).  Again, it depends upon the lighting.  One has to be careful.  

Under a lot of light  (the camera likes to be a light pig),  1DC likes the light - it is amazing.    With proper post production, it is difficult to tell the difference between actual film and the 1DC footage - again, proper post production.   Also, the footage needs to be shot correctly too.   

I've been experimenting with lighting - from Costco led bulbs, Home Depot bulbs, Chinese led lights, grow lights,  and so on.   My wife thinks I'm a little nuts, but hey, she married me.  With the 1DC, cranking the iso up to around 1600 is okay( in Canon Log - outside of Canon Log you can crank it up more).  At first, I was scared to crank the iso as I'd think I'd lose dynamic range and get lots of noise.  It's all good.  You still may need to denoise depending upon the situation.  

The 8 bit can be a pain due to banding issues at time.  So being aware is important.     Handheld is a no, no - unless you have rock steady hands.  Using a steady cam of some sort or a tripod plays it safe.    

File sizes are huge too.  

Overall, I like it.  Cheers.

Odie,  

The 1DC is actually quite an amazing camera.  I've been experimenting since I first bought it.   It is a tool and part of the equation for a production.  The 1DC has its strengths and it has its weaknesses.  By experimenting, I am able to go around a corner faster but I still do slide off the road - if that makes sense.   When I think I have mastered something, I mess up.  Messing up is part of learning, at least that is what I keep telling myself.  

I use Canon Log  - amazing at times and it can suck the big one at times depending upon the situation(if I light incorrectly).  Lighting properly is important.  Muddy waters if lighting is too weak.   The latitude, imo, is around 13 stops with Leica lenses ( I like the Leica).  Depending upon the lighting,  green fringing can show in the shadows especially in blonde hair (purple at times too).  Again, it depends upon the lighting.  One has to be careful.  

Under a lot of light  (the camera likes to be a light pig),  1DC likes the light - it is amazing.    With proper post production, it is difficult to tell the difference between actual film and the 1DC footage - again, proper post production.   Also, the footage needs to be shot correctly too.  

I've been experimenting with lighting - from Costco led bulbs, Home Depot bulbs, Chinese led lights, grow lights,  and so on.   My wife thinks I'm a little nuts, but hey, she married me.  With the 1DC, cranking the iso up to around 1600 is okay( in Canon Log - outside of Canon Log you can crank it up more).  At first, I was scared to crank the iso as I'd think I'd lose dynamic range and get lots of noise.  It's all good.  You still may need to denoise depending upon the situation.  

The 8 bit can be a pain due to banding issues at time.  So being aware is important.     Handheld is a no, no - unless you have rock steady hands.  Using a steady cam of some sort or a tripod plays it safe.    

File sizes are huge too.  

Overall, I like it.  Cheers.

Very interested to hear more. Firstly, what do you mean by 'Proper Post Production'. Secondly, where have you found that Canon Log does not work so well? Finally, do you have any 1DC footafge you could show, very interested to see it.

I shot a short on the 1DC a several months back when it had just come out but approached it like i would a MKIII. I shot everything Log. I think it went ok but i would definitely like to have given it more light, i tended towards underexposure.

I have been very impressed with the camera though, it really does have a lovely smooth image in LOG mode. Have you by any chance compared it to MKIII RAW for a cinematic image? I did actually shoot both the 1DC and MKIII RAW for a project but it was all landscapes and we ended up going nearly all RAW due to the grading range it gave us, so i don't really have much to compare to in regards to 1DC vs MKIII RAW.

thanks

Hi Kedbear, 

Proper Post Production - denoising, color correcting, color grading, texturing, etc., along with sound, editing, effects, etc. 

Canon log can be tricky.  The 1DC needs light.   Do not under expose.   I'll post some footage when I have time.  

Shane has some good stuff:  http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/01/camera-tests-outside-the-studio/

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/10/menus-for-cinematic-capture-on-the-canon-1dc/

Cheers.

Hi Kedbear, 

Proper Post Production - denoising, color correcting, color grading, texturing, etc., along with sound, editing, effects, etc. 

Canon log can be tricky.  The 1DC needs light.   Do not under expose.   I'll post some footage when I have time.  

Shane has some good stuff:  http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/01/camera-tests-outside-the-studio/

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/10/menus-for-cinematic-capture-on-the-canon-1dc/

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. If Canon LOG just needs light, why not always give it a bit extra and not use any of the regular picture profiles? In other words, when does LOG not work so well? Is it just when you need to go over 1600?

I've seen Shane's stuff, just very interested to see other work. Please do post, interested because you seem to have an appreciation for the filmic look and experience of comparing the 1DC with film.

Thanks