Bill on DR, Low Light, Olympus EM1 verus EM1 mkII

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, hoodlum said:

It looks like Panasonic may have implemented the sensor differently and has focused more on high ISO instead of DR.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/everything-you-might-not-know-about-gh5-162773

"the native ISO is 400. It was confirmed that by going down to ISO 200 you’ll lose about a stop of dynamic range since it’s an extended ISO."

It looks like in the comments he was wrong. 200 is the base, 400 might be base when using V Log. I think they are the very same sensor. They could not have afforded to develop 2 of them. But we will find out soon enough.

What sensor the GH5 will use? All the latest m4/3(and not only those) sensors are Sony ones, the new (last years) 16mgpxl and the 20 one. To make a completely new one, and in big quantities is very difficult and costly, even Samsung buys Sony sensors for their phones, and we all know how stubborn Samsung is when they want to manufacture everything in-house.

The only new camera with a different sensor maker that I know, is the JVC, which supposedly is in house made (JVC bought a small company a few years ago, that's what I have read), and I can imagine that their production must have been astonishingly small (they must sell in the dozens, instead of the thousands of the new GH5).

If someone has a table or a resource about sensor manufacturers (in video and photography), I would be very interested.

The fact is, noone knows for sure! I wouldn't bet on Pana sensor though..It seems like Sony is the exclusive m4/3 sensor maker, for a few years now. I am expecting for someone with the answer, it will explain a lot, and show the capability of these companies diferentiate from Sony, and compete against it

A a7000 in September with better ergonomics, battery life, AF system, 10bit internal, better IBIS, 180fps slow mo, no overheating (with the bigger body for better ergonomics, and bigger battery for more minutes of use, they can manage heat better), and around 2299$, can destroy any m4/3 camera of the near future, and Sony must be building such a camera right now, and since a6300, for sure.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The fact is, noone knows for sure! I wouldn't bet on Pana sensor though..It seems like Sony is the exclusive m4/3 sensor maker, for a few years now. I am expecting for someone with the answer, it will explain a lot, and show the capability of these companies diferentiate from Sony, and compete against it

A a7000 in September with better ergonomics, battery life, AF system, 10bit internal, better IBIS, 180fps slow mo, no overheating (with the bigger body for better ergonomics, and bigger battery for more minutes of use, they can manage heat better), and around 2299$, can destroy any m4/3 camera of the near future, and Sony must be building such a camera right now, and since a6300, for sure.

Pretty sure it will be called FS5 II and cost $5000+

Reading through the thread, its more just a shift in ISO values. Looking at actual samples, there's no significant difference in DR between the EM1 mk 1 & 2 because its still the same Sony sensor. It looks like Olympus is using a more aggressive NR with the 20mp sensor because of the noise.

GH5 video samples are certainly cleaner at higher ISO's, but there's no real leap in DR, just looks like better processing. I'm sure we'll see that when raw stills can be analyzed.