Zhiyun crane + Sony a7sii - BTS footage in winter

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've used the Zhiyun Crane on 2 shoots now with the A6500 - and it's the first time ever that I've been really pleased with a camera / gimbal combo. 

The Zhiyun is a beast and operates brilliantly. Works very well with the A6500 autofocus. 

The only real downside is that the A6500 doesn't have 4k60p, the 1080 60p is just ok, so I'd say it really depends on the GH5's autofocusing capability. 

I'm covered for cameras, the GH5 would be a treat if anything. How long until we see 4K  60p in Sony cameras? (But it likely won't be 10 bit in a firmware upgrade!) 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I've used the Zhiyun Crane on 2 shoots now with the A6500 - and it's the first time ever that I've been really pleased with a camera / gimbal combo. 

The Zhiyun is a beast and operates brilliantly. Works very well with the A6500 autofocus. 

The only real downside is that the A6500 doesn't have 4k60p, the 1080 60p is just ok, so I'd say it really depends on the GH5's autofocusing capability. 

I'm covered for cameras, the GH5 would be a treat if anything. How long until we see 4K  60p in Sony cameras? (But it likely won't be 10 bit in a firmware upgrade!) 

My a6500 arrives today. I had the 6300 back in December and I convinced myself not to like it, so I returned it, but after reevaluating the footage, the image is undeniable.

In the long run I am glad I returned it, because it now forced me upgrade to the 6500 with it's touchscreen af and ibis. Now I just need to work out the kinks with the color profile settings. After my brief time with the 6300, I preferred cine2 with cinema color and the usual tweaks, but I still have some more testing to do... and pointers? I assume tweaking the yellow and magenta will help with skin color?

6 hours ago, mercer said:

The color looks great. Slog?

It was shot with EOSHD Pro Color.

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I am not finding that I need 4k60p a whole lot, but I would definitely use it. The Gh5 sounds like a beast. I can't wait to try it out!

20 minutes ago, mercer said:

My a6500 arrives today. I had the 6300 back in December and I convinced myself not to like it, so I returned it, but after reevaluating the footage, the image is undeniable.

In the long run I am glad I returned it, because it now forced me upgrade to the 6500 with it's touchscreen af and ibis. Now I just need to work out the kinks with the color profile settings. After my brief time with the 6300, I preferred cine2 with cinema color and the usual tweaks, but I still have some more testing to do... and pointers? I assume tweaking the yellow and magenta will help with skin color?

Have you tried using the EOHD Pro Color profile yet? The image looks good to me. Alternatively I was using cine4/pro and so long as you expose correctly or a little under with a manual WB then the image is beautiful. I am not sure if they have cine4 on the A6500?

3 hours ago, Axel said:

The images are great. I am interested in this particularly because I am currently evaluating the "need" to buy a GH5. In a way your video is more stunning than Neumanns Beyond film. 

I'm sure, that just as it does today, and like it will handily do in April, that the Sony blows the Panasonic out of the water when it comes to image quality.

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

If the OMD EM1 Mk II's AF-C is any indication, the GH5's AF-C will suck as Lumix cameras always do. As I said before, usually when something that radical is introduced, they have a press junket, and host rodeos, water sports, car races and hockey games for critics and journalists to try out. So my hunch is, AF-C will be awful, and we won't see any huge gains in low light performance, either. The Sony will also still kill it on pure image quality, by which I mean dynamic range and low light capability. Panasonic is offering a highly sophisticated u4/3 sensor camera, but it's not going to bring down Sony.

3 hours ago, Axel said:

The images are great. I am interested in this particularly because I am currently evaluating the "need" to buy a GH5. In a way your video is more stunning than Neumanns Beyond film. 

Thanks, the a7sii has a great image. Filming in 4k with this camera is certainly a hard image to beat for something else in the size.

12 hours ago, mojo43 said:

Hey guys, I put together a behind the scenes video about how I film my travel videos for clients. I have been posting a few of them lately and I plan to post one every week or so. Let me know if you have any questions or comments and please subscribe if you like it! :)

Lovely combo. Even the slow-mo footage doesn't look too bad at 4K. 
Looking at the Sony options now, I would wait to see if the A7iii comes out soon. If they match the A6500 for full sensor 6K downsample and AF, then it might be the best FF option yet, except in very low light. The A6500 is very tempting with a focal reducer, but the 28mm f2 is a very attractive option full frame, and if you add in good native AF performance then it could be the gimbal option of choice.

I should clarify what I meant when I said that Sony will still trounce the GH5, even if Sony doesn't introduce a single upgrade by April. I'm not saying that I wouldn't choose the GH5 over the a6500 in a heartbeat - I simply prefer the usability of Panasonic's cameras. But those with unrealistic expectations of vastly improved low light performance, dynamic range and AF-C are going to be disappointed. I wager that unless you're using V-Log, clips from the lowly G85 could be seamlessly intercut with those from the GH5 and nobody would be the wiser. Those who insist on 10-bit, who say they do 'heavy grading', meaning so heavy that the image falls apart - I wonder why they do that, since I've never seen a professional colorist stretch and pull and yank an image around beyond all recognition - and I've watched a lot of tutorials. Some of you may be too young to remember, but a long, long time ago, way back in 2012, an obscure little camera with a toy-like sensor called the GH2 was chosen over the Sony F65, Red Epic, Canon C300 and Arri Alexa by an unknown by the name of Francis Ford Coppola in the Zacuto Shootout.

3 hours ago, mojo43 said:

It was shot with EOSHD Pro Color.

I am not finding that I need 4k60p a whole lot, but I would definitely use it. The Gh5 sounds like a beast. I can't wait to try it out!

Have you tried using the EOHD Pro Color profile yet? The image looks good to me. Alternatively I was using cine4/pro and so long as you expose correctly or a little under with a manual WB then the image is beautiful. I am not sure if they have cine4 on the A6500?

I will probably give pro color a try, your samples look great. But conversely, isn't the point of Pro Color to give Sony a more Canon-like palette? Idk, I find Sony colors to be kinda interesting, they almost have a 16mm film-like color to them. But in the absence of a capable Canon camera at that price point, I guess a Canon-esque color palette makes sense and well worth the price of admission. 

7 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

Lovely combo. Even the slow-mo footage doesn't look too bad at 4K. 
Looking at the Sony options now, I would wait to see if the A7iii comes out soon. If they match the A6500 for full sensor 6K downsample and AF, then it might be the best FF option yet, except in very low light. The A6500 is very tempting with a focal reducer, but the 28mm f2 is a very attractive option full frame, and if you add in good native AF performance then it could be the gimbal option of choice.

I used cine4/pro for years. I just switched recently and did tests between the two. There wasn't much difference in the end. I think so long as you are manually WB then your colours will come out well. Maybe I am just not that picky either ;) 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Here's a nice video shot with the a6500 and Crane by Brandon Li, using EOSHD Pro Color v2

This is the video that convinced me to get the Zhiyun for the A6500. 

2 hours ago, jase said:

Damn this gimbal is crazy. Total different league to the Beholder MS1, which I tried and hated.

I think it's the best gimbal you can buy, when considering price / performance. 

It's an absolute joy to use, especially with the A6500 autofocus voodoo.