Sell my 1DC for GH5?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm  considering adding the GH5 as my second cam for slow mo, drone shots, etc - but they are very different tools. They both offer stunning images (and if you know how to light, compose, direct) you can make amazing work on either one. remember some of the most iconic images and films ever made were on equipment that is now worth nothing. I would say figure out which one best suits exactly the kind of work you do and hope to do and go with it. If you have an amazing reel, no one cares what you shot it on. And when your client insists on Red for some stupid reason - fine, just rent it. You need to have the best tool to allow you to realize your personal vision when you're not on someone else's dollar. And I disagree - the 1dxm2 is no competitor to the gh5, I have done several tests and the 4k footage from the 1dxm2 is junk compared to the 1dc - I will be buried with my 1dc. Never giving up the magic that camera spits out...

9 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I did a shoot yesterday with my 1DC and Contax Zeiss glass and loved the results. It was a nice reminder how great it is. Low light, color science, and full frame all great on it. Such a clean but beautiful image. Still gonna hold onto the 1DC until I do proper GH5 tests. 

IMG_1773.PNG

IMG_1774.PNG

Yeah, that is a nice image... the 4K CLog is just the right mix of soft and sharp... was that shot at The Bluebird?

1 hour ago, Evolvnyc said:

And I disagree - the 1dxm2 is no competitor to the gh5, I have done several tests and the 4k footage from the 1dxm2 is junk compared to the 1dc - I will be buried with my 1dc. Never giving up the magic that camera spits out...

I am reminded of the magic of the camera every time I do a shoot with it. 

54 minutes ago, mercer said:

.. was that shot at The Bluebird?

No it was at a dance studio in East Nashville 

IMG_1775.PNG

On 1/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, DaveAltizer said:

I love my 1DC. I pre ordered a GH5. I feel like it'll be a serious competitor and a true "upgrade" in a lot of ways.........but I can't get away from that OH MY GOSH so beautiful mojo my 1DC makes. But if the GH5 is a serious upgrade then I would love to sell my 1DC and Zacuto Gratical (lack of focus peaking tool). Every dollar counts for where I am right now in life trying to pay off debt and move to LA  

Im not making any rash moves until I get my hands on the GH5 and do some tests but would love to hear your thoughts. 

1DC better color, much better iso performance

Would never trade a pro Canon Camera for a Consumer Panasonic one, this thread honestly makes no sense......

Panasonic GH shines in production situations, it's poor light and reaction to mixture of color temperatures is something I would never use "run n gun"......

You need to think to yourself what is it you are pursuing in life and go after it.....

Are you a Cinematographer, Director, writer, editor, etc....