Sell my 1DC for GH5?

Dave Maze

I love my 1DC. I pre ordered a GH5. I feel like it'll be a serious competitor and a true "upgrade" in a lot of ways.........but I can't get away from that OH MY GOSH so beautiful mojo my 1DC makes. But if the GH5 is a serious upgrade then I would love to sell my 1DC and Zacuto Gratical (lack of focus peaking tool). Every dollar counts for where I am right now in life trying to pay off debt and move to LA  

Im not making any rash moves until I get my hands on the GH5 and do some tests but would love to hear your thoughts. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Smart move to do some tests and then decide. You sound pretty happy with what you've got. A lot of Canon people seem to get super disappointed when moving to another system. But, if you end up preferring the GH5, get what you can out of the Canon. Not like you won't be able to buy another one down the road, probably for much less.

I've been a Panasonic user since the GH2 and each upgrade has been fantastic. They've successfully delivered worthwhile improvements in every area of function and image and seem to really listen to their user base. It's an exciting yet reliable system to be a part of. The GH5 looks certain it will continue this trend and two areas of promising improvement seem to be low light and colour given the current videos (an area where Canon has historically had the edge).

However, like @Flynn says, a lot of Canon users love the colour science and can't let it go despite the cameras lacking functionality and features. If that specific mojo inspires you to make films then you may struggle with a switch to Panasonic.

How do you use your cameras? For earning money, for filmmaking on the side, or a mixture of both? I use them for both so the practicality and features of the Panasonics win the day. I think I would feel like I had one arm tied behind my back if I tried making a living as videographer with a 1DC now.

My other thought, was that if your dream is to clear your debts and get to LA (not far off mine!) then I would be making all my decisions based on what would get me there faster. At the end of the day, mojo, lowlight, codecs, and all the jazz we are all guilty of getting sucked into on this forum, are secondary to having a great idea, writing it and shooting it. If you've got something dynamite, it can be shot on anything and other factors such as writing, lighting, acting and editing will be what get your piece noticed.

Final thought, networking in LA will probably advance your career more than any camera ;-)

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

My other thought, was that if your dream is to clear your debts and get to LA (not far off mine!) then I would be making all my decisions based on what would get me there faster. At the end of the day, mojo, lowlight, codecs, and all the jazz we are all guilty of getting sucked into on this forum, are secondary to having a great idea, writing it and shooting it. If you've got something dynamite, it can be shot on anything and other factors such as writing, lighting, acting and editing will be what get your piece noticed.

This, a thousand times this, I'd be 110% focused on getting out of debt if I was you. Rest of all this nonsense we discuss on this forum matters relatively little compared to that!

You guys are awesome. Great advice. I agree 100%. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This, a thousand times this, I'd be 110% focused on getting out of debt if I was you. Rest of all this nonsense we discuss on this forum matters relatively little compared to that!

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Final thought, networking in LA will probably advance your career more than any camera ;-)

GH5 on paper looks great, but until you film with it who knows. The 1DC is special and has a look that makes any owner ignore the lack of features. I was questioning the move to Panasonic as well, but I need low light and personally not sold on the 4/3s ... I was a huge DVX100 fan and loved Panasonic color science back in the early days. Until the GH5 is given the Phillip Bloom field test I would be happy hanging onto my 1DC or rent the GH5 and take it for a spin.

I don't see a Pana GH4 or a GH5 being taken very seriously at all in LA. My daughter lives near there, and people in California have tons more money than any other state other than say up East. BMW's are as common as a Honda Civic out there.

I would imagine a Red is nearly as common as a GH4 in the Cine community out there. At least many having a C100 or better. I know that camera does not matter that much in reality, but if you show up with a GH3 and a guy has a Red well not too sure your talent counts that much. Place is crawling with talent!

On 1/26/2017 at 2:30 AM, Jimmy said:

I would remove the word 'easily' from that sentence.

Compared to a Canon, it takes alot more work.

I prove you wrong. Used Neuman footage, I did a 2 min graded and posted the result here in EOSHD, Andrew Reid and multiple other members elected it the best grade posted in the thread. 

If you do not know how to grade properly thats not anybody's fault but yours. GH5 V-LOG is extremely easy to grade. 
Now that the standard profile of the Canon looks better out of the box than GH5 standard - yes probably but this is not the question.

I didn't notice a vote... well done!

Curiosity got the better of me and i hunted out your grade. It's nice.

You picked the one shot that was close(ish) to sunset and had no skintones. That shot also took me a minute... the skintone ones took longer

Try shot 4 in my post and tell me that is an easy grade

11 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I prove you wrong. Used Neuman footage, I did a 2 min graded and posted the result here in EOSHD, Andrew Reid and multiple other members elected it the best grade posted in the thread. 

If you do not know how to grade properly thats not anybody's fault but yours. GH5 V-LOG is extremely easy to grade. 
Now that the standard profile of the Canon looks better out of the box than GH5 standard - yes probably but this is not the question.

Wow did you receive a Oscar nod as well ... congrats buddy. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I didn't notice a vote... well done!

Curiosity got the better of me and i hunted out your grade. It's nice.

You picked the one shot that was close(ish) to sunset and had no skintones. That shot also took me a minute... the skintone ones took longer

Try shot 4 in my post and tell me that is an easy grade

I have to admit I took a sunset one. I agree the 4 is harder but this is normal... Flat snow light condition. My point is that the GH5 colors are certainly not bad. Also I think we get too used to Canon colors which are basically a magenta push and warmer sometimes. The GH5 offers far more creative possibilities IMO than the 1DC. The 1DX2 would be a more direct competitor I think. 

25 minutes ago, Francesco Spiezia said:

Wow did you receive a Oscar nod as well ... congrats buddy. 

No but Considering Andrew he is one of the guys who critics the most, I am feeling like I did get one. Thank you so much for you congrats.... Buddy.

I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet, for the most part.... good colours are possible... i just feel it is a little early to say it will be easy while discussing a comparison with Canon 1DC. Skin tones really are crazy easy on that.

I have a gh5 on order after playing with Luke's files.... so I'm certainly sold on it.