Razer Blade 2016 as an alternative to Macbook Pro

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Ed_David said:

The FHD version looks like a winner - 

https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/razer-blade-2016-as-a-mobile-workstation-for-creative-professionals.17559/

The 6gb graphics card sounds amazing - resolve is blazing fast.

i have the 2015 model and haven't looked back. I seen an extreme improvement in performance over the mac pro 

Those new mobile cards from Nvidia had closed the gap to the desktop performance pretty well. I think they're very solid as mobile workstations. Even my 2013 Clevo with a 780m can already handle 4k editing (i'm editing my college final project on it, no problems so far) and my old friend 780m dont even come close to the performance of that new series. I miss OSx, i really dont like windows interface that much, but, as i dont use FCP, there really had no sense in buying a mac, especially with the absurd price they're sold here in Brazil haha

4 minutes ago, Milton Lopes said:

Those new mobile cards from Nvidia had closed the gap to the desktop performance pretty well. I think they're very solid as mobile workstations. Even my 2013 Clevo with a 780m can already handle 4k editing (i'm editing my college final project on it, no problems so far) and my old friend 780m dont even come close to the performance of that new series. I miss OSx, i really dont like windows interface that much, but, as i dont use FCP, there really had no sense in buying a mac, especially with the absurd price they're sold here in Brazil haha

The MacBook Pro Max discusses in the above video cost me over $3,200.00 USD including Apple Care here in Vietnam. So yeah, it's a chunk of change. The dongles hysteria is a bit overdone - most of the time, I just use one USB to USB-C adapter if I'm editing or want to watch a movie on my laptop.

The FHD versions screen gamut color space coverage percentages is pretty poor it seems. The Adobe1998 coverage was tested to be 55% while the sRGB was 83% of those standard color spaces. Most professional monitors offer color display coverage near or at 100% for both of those color spaces these days. Of course in relation to color profiles, most monitors can be improved further with calibration, but when a monitor’s hardware is already starting with such low base results, even a calibrated representation would probably be limited. Surprised a laptop with other positive specs would even have such a screen.

I have used mainly Mac’s for many years, but do not feel like they are currently offering the innovation or even just the jump in specs and performance they had been focused on in the past. They seem more interested in software and other app developments only. So like many others, I have been exploring some portable laptop options as well. Would like for it to be an Apple product, but things move on and people should just purchase products they feel they need for their type of work or task, not just what a company generically decides they want to sell.

This is a link to a good spec overview of the Razer Blade 2016 FHD:

English: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-2016-FHD-Notebook-Review.189344.0.html

German: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Razer-Blade-2016-FHD-Laptop.187880.0.html

Since this is after all a website devoted to video and filmmaking, as a working professional, exactly what percentage of your costs should be dedicated to camera equipment, what percentage to a computer and peripherals? Let's say a camera body runs $1,500 - $2,000 (and hopefully, you arrive on a job with more than just one body), and lenses can cost anywhere from $350 - $1,300 or whatever, how much are you willing to invest in a workstation? I don't work professionally, but I'd say if I've invested conservatively say, over $10,000 in camera gear, and that is a modest appraisal, I'd think that spending upwards of $3,000 for a computer and storage would be a minimum. What do you think?

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

People still listen to Max Yurev ? lol check the 3D performance of a windows based laptop vs a mac.Its night and day. You are just paying for the brand name when it comes to apple and a cool UI you are not paying for performance

Well with the optimizations of FCPX you literally paying for the performance when buying the hardware to run it ;). So for the people that use FCPX and need a laptop, a bug-free macbook pro would be a good solution (once it gets there with the next iteration). 

Now if you use Resolve of Adobe, then yes you are better off with any gaming laptop with a modern GTX card, and there are plenty to choose from :)

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I'd think that spending upwards of $3,000 for a computer and storage would be a minimum.

For most people I think a desktop makes much more sense. If I was on a restricted budget, I would build a desktop with an overclocked i7 kabylane quad code, 32gb of ram, a GTX1060, 2 fast drives for OS and cache/projects and a raid 10 spin drive array for media + a couple of spin drives for backup. It should cost ~$2k and it would be very fast for most projects and very hard to beat for the price (believe me I have gone overboard). Puget systems have a series of hardware articles for premiere performance that are worth reading. 

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

People still listen to Max Yurev ? lol check the 3D performance of a windows based laptop vs a mac.Its night and day. You are just paying for the brand name when it comes to apple and a cool UI you are not paying for performance

Wow... harsh words. I really like Max's videos. One bad advice doesn't make his channel worthless..
The guy seems to have good intentions.
Ps: And i enjoy your videos too... especially for the color grading part. Take care!

26 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

this magazine says the Razer Blade has better color fidelity than the MBP : http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/razer-blade-vs-macbook-pro

That's the old macbook. New one has a DCI-P3 Rec. 2020 display. Not sure what it means for color grading, but I looks amazing in the store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3

Don't know how it compares to the Blade.

(I will personally try to hold on to my 2012 Macbook Pro for one more year. MacOS actually runs better on it now than it did when I bought it 4,5 years ago.)

2 hours ago, André Eriksson said:

That's the old macbook. New one has a DCI-P3 Rec. 2020 display. Not sure what it means for color grading, but I looks amazing in the store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3

Don't know how it compares to the Blade.

(I will personally try to hold on to my 2012 Macbook Pro for one more year. MacOS actually runs better on it now than it did when I bought it 4,5 years ago.)

Still, color is good enough for me still.  I mean, a 6 gb nvidia gtx 1060 that is faster than a D500 mac pro gfx card in a portable 4 LB computer sounds pretty great to me.

9 hours ago, samuel.cabral said:

Wow... harsh words. I really like Max's videos. One bad advice doesn't make his channel worthless..
The guy seems to have good intentions.
Ps: And i enjoy your videos too... especially for the color grading part. Take care!

I appreciate that ! I'll be more mindful with my words next time. This just hasn't been the first time i've seen something that made me ponder the accuracy of these tests but to each his own. He does have a couple of informative vids but I think its misleading to sell people on these mac pros as video editing power houses. Apple has very underpowered gpu's

58 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I appreciate that ! I'll be more mindful with my words next time. This just hasn't been the first time i've seen something that made me ponder the accuracy of these tests but to each his own. He does have a couple of informative vids but I think its misleading to sell people on these mac pros as video editing power houses. Apple has very underpowered gpu's

Max Yuryev's videos present the facts, you're welcome to disagree; however, he is not misleading anybody. he uses industry standard benchmarks. He's given us the most comprehensive review of these machines to date. He's no Apple fanboy; he only started using Macs a few years ago; and he's built his own Windows machines and continues to do so. Not only does he not gloss over the fact that Razer's GPU is more powerful than that of the MacBook Pro, he never said that the MBPr is an editing powerhouse. Those are your own words. He does point out that the Razer GPU loses it's lead when on battery power - is that Apple fanboyism? And it's already been amply demonstrated that it's not the individual components that matter, but how they work together. And I believe he did recommend the XPS for PP, not the MBPr.

I have a ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71

Intel i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz

16GB DDR4 (Going to upgrade)

1TB HDD

256 M.2 SSD

GTX960M 2GB

15.6-inch 

And I have a macbook pro 2015 also. Would like to play with the macbook for editing with FCPX but i'm so use to Premiere Pro and it's hard trying to get use to the magnet timeline. :fearful:

Just now, Cassius McGowan said:

I have a ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71

Intel i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz

16GB DDR4 (Going to upgrade)

1TB HDD

256 M.2 SSD

GTX960M 2GB

15.6-inch 

And I have a macbook pro 2015 also. Would like to play with the macbook for editing with FCPX but i'm so use to Premiere Pro and it's hard trying to get use to the magnet timeline. :fearful:

I've seen many places online that for video editing, 16GB is more than sufficient. Are you running out of memory when editing video?