MJPEG (5DMK4 VS 1DC)

Dunjoye

I am probably the only person that welcomes this addition on the the Canon Eos range.

Which leads me to the question.  Which is better to go for for 4k video  1DC VS 5D MARK IV.

Log is not a massive deal breaker for me but its a great addition. I do like the 1Dx mark ii Profile colors (out of my budget)which is identical to the 5DMK4 at 4k MJPEG. The 5DMK4 does shoot at 30fps 4K.

Which one is better to go for?

5DMK4 ; £2700

1DC:  £2500-3500 - depending on shutter count & condition 

Another question does the 1dc record 60fps 1080 out?

Apologies if this topic has been done before. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I went with the 1DC.  Mainly because I have a 5d2 which after getting the 1DC I never use.  The 4k video is great to me, and it has 60p in 1080.  Can't complain a bit about the camera, I bought it used for around three grand, the image quality is great for photos and I have used up to 6400 iso without any problems.  When the 1Dx2 comes down in price I'll probably upgrade to that just for the 60p in 4k.

• Administrators

This is a complete no-brainer.

The 1D C is the one to go for if you want the best 4K.

The sensor crop of the 5D Mark IV and poor low light performance kill it. The only reason to even consider it is Dual pixel AF.

The 1D C is also a MUCH better stills camera, with a pro body - which means build quality is in a different league altogether.

I was waiting patiently for the 5D IV to be met with major disappointment ... Just grabbed two 1DCs for work and I am very happy. I worked with the 1DXii but honestly we dont record in 60 and have no need for auto focus. I prefer to have the Clog and also really love being able to change the crop in 1080 when needed. I also like the 'look' of the 1DC as it just says film to me over some of the other options total personal preference. Its a large codec but when you go in and pull a 4K frame you will see why. I have worked with the Sony A7 line and in low light the images pulled look blah... Andrew has offered us an excellent Clog alternative which we are using on the 1DCs so we can match our 5Ds when needed. I think the 1DXii is awesome but for me I really love the 1DC.

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is a complete no-brainer.

The 1D C is the one to go for if you want the best 4K.

The sensor crop of the 5D Mark IV and poor low light performance kill it. The only reason to even consider it is Dual pixel AF.

The 1D C is also a MUCH better stills camera, with a pro body - which means build quality is in a different league altogether.

Is the 5d4 really so bad in low ligtht? Its a new senor. Not sure 5d4 is worse then 1dc for stills? 30M vs 18M, probably better autofucus on 5d4. Build quality better on 1dc, but 5d4 should be good enough for most people.

10 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Is the 5d4 really so bad in low ligtht? Its a new senor. Not sure 5d4 is worse then 1dc for stills? 30M vs 18M, probably better autofucus on 5d4. Build quality better on 1dc, but 5d4 should be good enough for most people.

Pixels isn't everything. If I was doing stills only, It wouldn't even be a deciding factor for me. plus I think the 1dc as a faster burst rate. The autofocus, Wifi monitoring is a big plus. 

Does anyone know if the 1dc outputs 1080 60fps via hdmi?

http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/eos1dc-im3-en2.pdf

Here's the manual for the camera.  Good to have on hand when you first get it.  I just use a 128 gigabyte card in mine.  And as for the 30 vs. 18 megapixels, yeah, I'm sure the 5d4 is more than capable.  But, I was waiting for the 5d4 to come out to replace my 5d3 and when I saw the actual specs I said screw that.  It wasn't the crop factor, it was the fact they couldn't put 60p 4k in the thing.  Most people don't spend three grand on a camera, more for the 5d4.  I make a living mainly taking pictures, not video, but, the writing is on the wall, video is the future and if I was going to spend over three grand for a camera, I wanted one that would last for at least three years.  So, I bought a used 1dc, no 60 4k, but I can live without that for a couple of years, maybe get a gh5 later in the year if I really need it.  Bottom line is Canon didn't really make any money off me this upgrade path and for what it's worth, the 1dc for the price used is a piece of kit that I can see using for more than three years, I'll probably keep it until it dies.  Bit of a rant, but hey Canon, for the people who do spend the money on new gear, give us our money's worth!