Gx85 vs g80 resolution

dantheman

I have just received my g80 and I also have a gx85 that I used the past months, when I did some test shoots with the g80 to compare with my g85 to see if colors matched I noticed that my g80 footage seemed to be on the soft side, almost slightly out of focus, so I pointed both camera's on a resolution chart where there is a clear difference in HD, in 4K they almost look the same but still, also there I see a very slight difference in favor of the gx85.

Are there any g80 users that also have a gx85 that have seen the same problem?

g80.jpg

gx80.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, tupp said:

By the way, did you use the same lens with each camera?

Yes, used a 12-35mm f2.8 and both camera's had exactly the same settings and shot in standard with everything at zero. 1080p on my gx85 doesn't look so nice as there is lots of aliasing on wide shots which might explain the artificial sharpening that is applied. My gh4 however has the same detail in that chart as my gx85, that's why I wanted to know from owners who have both if they are experiencing the same problem.

I will do some real life shooting the following days to see how what the image looks like, in terms of color I couldn't see any difference with my gx85 so that's good. Its' just that I could see something was off but couldn't put my finger on it untill I used that resolution chart, that might be a problem when mixing the camera's

Did you use the same 12-35mm f2.8 lens on both cameras, or did you use two different 12-35mm f2.8 lenses?

I wonder what the comparison would be like with both cameras set to "natural" and with the sharpening dialed all the way down in both cameras.

It would be helpful to also see raw stills.

By the way, are you auto-focusing or manually focusing?

I would be very interested in your findings, because to be honest, this is the very first time I've heard someone claim a Lumix wasn't sharp enough - usually, it's the reverse. I always shoot with sharpening dialed down to -5, and the images are still crisp. I shoot with the G85. Then again, I stopped shooting with the Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 because I suspected it was too soft, and this is a lens in nearly everyone's kit. ?

It's not that my g80 is too soft on it's own, it's too soft compared to my other panasonic camera's and the difference was noticeable if I shot side by side, since the intention is that I use my 3 panasonic camera's on a shoot I either have to dial the sharpness down on my other camera's and turn the sharpness up on my g80 in order to make them match. I have to see first how noticeable it is in real life shooting instead of pixel peeping that I"m doing now.

To my eyes, my G6 HD appears to have more resolution than my GX85s HD, with less aliasing and artificial sharpness on the same settings.

Started to dialing sharpness down from -2 to -5.

Also, from one experience, I got the impression that electronic native lenses might involve some automatic processing to the image.

One note on this, in the GH5 thread someone stated about some native lenses that they produce an artificial outline around oof shapes, sharp edges like cut out pieces, so to say.

The native lens I shot with back then was the 14-45mm. It was a two cam setup of my and my collegues G6, one mounted to the 14-45, the other one with a boosted 28mm FD.

Both lenses were very hard to match in post, even though they were on the same settings. So, maybe some native lenses are key to even more artificial sharpening and rendering

because of additional processing.