GH5 & stabilization

Clément Boulanger

Hi everyone,

a little question about video stabilization.

I'm starting to make videos, mainly corporate videos, and I have a GH4.

For the moment, I shoot all with monopod but this month I decided to buy a Ronin-M to try new things!

But now I see GH5 properties with 5 axis stabilized sensor (+2 in lens). I met 2 videographers today who use Ronin and they were saying that with GH5, Ronin or steadicam will become useless and you will be able to shoot all with hand...

I'm beginner so I wanted your opinion on that. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to spend money for Ronin while GH5 is released soon...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, spinkscapes said:

Doubt it. A gimbal will still be essential for sweeping and moderate moving shots.

The combo of gimbal and a powerful IBIS will be excellent.

+1

IBIS only: good for handheld but mostly static

Gimbal: same + walking 

gimbal + ibis: used it on a RX100, a dream. You can run and get smooth footages. 

IBIS can't replace a gimbal yet. It's a nice to have though especially when you can't have the gimbal with you.

10 hours ago, Clément Boulanger said:

Hi everyone,

a little question about video stabilization.

I'm starting to make videos, mainly corporate videos, and I have a GH4.

For the moment, I shoot all with monopod but this month I decided to buy a Ronin-M to try new things!

But now I see GH5 properties with 5 axis stabilized sensor (+2 in lens). I met 2 videographers today who use Ronin and they were saying that with GH5, Ronin or steadicam will become useless and you will be able to shoot all with hand...

I'm beginner so I wanted your opinion on that. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to spend money for Ronin while GH5 is released soon...

Download the raw files from Neumann films. In particular the one where he walks around the waterfall. Put a 5% warp stabiliser on it. Be amazed. 

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I don't know about you but I need all the help I can get when walking!  On the other hand I worked with a camera man that had the steadiest shoulder in the world it was unbelievable... No stabilization and it looked smooth.  All depends on user.  I will forever need gimbal if I want to do walking shots!

I'm not by any means discounting the value of a gimbal, or the work of the super talented steadicam operators out there, and I am shaky as hell myself, but you can get some very powerful movements using just IBIS for short clips where you are just following a subject. You see it all the time in drama and action films, where the camera is moving up and down - it can add tension and drama in a scene. But yeah, using a stabilizer adds 'production value'.

On 1/20/2017 at 8:09 AM, Dude_ger said:

There´s also a Gimbal vs Steadicam section in this video

For me the Steadicams will always outperform a Gimbal... the movements you can get from a steadicam are just amazing... Still I own a Gimbal and not a Steadicam and this simply because I am bad at operating a Steadicam... 

Well there is steady and there is "Flying" when using a Gimbal or Steadycam. I use both and they both have their uses, but I find "Flying", which I seem to do more now that i have a pair of Gimbals, a little TOO much in reality. Crazy to say but I prefer a little jerkiness in my footage these days! Not a big fan of Drone footage because of that also, but it is amazing what they can record. :glasses:

Problem is these days no way you can stabilize shoulder wise, just say 5 pounds, of camera rig. it takes 15 pounds or more to do it, and not really even then for long periods. I guess  there is a reason someone invented Tripods! :grin: