Blog Comments - Nikon D7100 announced, gains headphone jack over D5200 but loses articulated screen

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Nikon D7100

The Nikon D7100 is here and appears to be based around the new sensor and image processor of the D5200 which is proving rather good at video so far.

Whilst the D7100 gains a dedicated movie mode and headphone jack, it has a few things that may disturb video shooters.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm wondering what the exact upgrade is over the D5200.  It's hard to really see the real benefit except for perhaps Photo side with the lack of an AA filter.  I suppose the detail level will be higher.  They tempt us with the Headphone jack, tho I don't understand why they didn't include that on the D5200, since it's clearly a camera aimed more towards video with the Articulated LCD.

I had the chance to try a preproduction model yesterday. It still has the silly aperture bug.

I tried to look for moire in the video, I could see it on the display of the camera, but when hooked up to a fullHD tv to playback the file it wasn't visible. I couldn't take any footage with me though.

I'm pretty sure it's the same sensor as the D5200 indeed. Interesting is the fact that at the presentation they said the hdmi-out is the same as the Nikon D600. Combine that with the notice on the website and it might mean you get the same black bars as the D600 does. Although that would be weird since de D5200 can output.

Photography wise (it is a photo camera..) it is a pretty big upgrade over the D5200. Sturdy weatherproof body, 51 autofocus points, 6 fps full res and 7 fps in 1,3x crop. Great sports/wildlife camera for the money.

I'm looking to change from the Sony Nex and DSLT cameras (own a 5n and the a77), and this one it looks it fill good in my check list. I will wait for the Nex 7n announcement to compare (i personally love the Nex), but i'm sure my a77 will go to Ebay to make the change for the Nikon D7100. Waiting to see the video comments and tests.

The 1.3 crop mode works with video which gives a 2x crop (15.4mp) compared to FF.  The 51 AF points will cover most of the image in 1.3 crop mode. The OVF also has an OLED overlay for displaying information.

Also, just to clarify the D7100 has 'no AA filter' while the D800E still had the filter but had a cancelling out one as well.  So we should see more of a detail advantage but more acceptable to moire too.

I have to read rthe rest of the article later but have this to say so far:
"Unfortunately there’s still no 1080/60p and one of the D5200′s strongest features for video – the articulated screen – has been banished as is sadly all too common on high end DSLRs!"

C'MON NIKON! 1080/60p is a token at this stage. we need it now!
Articulated screen has been one of my fav Digicam feature for 10 years BUT, I know the risks involved.
I broke one off accidentally on a shoot and it halted production for that day ( no backup camera)
Articulated screens pose a much greated risk of damage and I therefore sympathise with the omissions on 'Pro' cameras.
I would not mind seeing dedicated external screens or at least WiFi sync with tablets and smartphones as an option

Sorry to be dim, but can someone explain the following from this article please -

"The HDMI is uncompressed – like the D5200 if not identical. However it is 60i or 30p in live view and drops to 720p when recording is activated in-camera."

I just want to double check that the D5200 can do 24fps & 25fps (1080p) uncompressed when recording externally via HDMI and it's not limited to 30fps for some weird reason?

Can anyone help / confirm please?

Thanks!

Probably better in one of the D5200 topics, but...

From this thread: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2120-nikon-d5200-review/page-3

Thanks 'QuickHitRecord'

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place - it seems this issue is relevant to both cameras and I was picking up on what was said in this article...

It seems odd that we'd be talking about this camera being a viable option without 24/25p on clean uncompressed HDMI? Or is there a way to convert 30p to 24/25p cleanly? Why would Nikon give with one hand but take away with the other? Bit like the D600 black bars problem? So close yet so far or have I missed something here?

I've tested the 1.3x thing on the D5200 in video mode and it is rubbish. Unlikely the D7100 is any different as uses the exact same sensor & image processor, and it is also 60i in 1.3x mode... Kind of useless for those wanting 24p.

Does it do 50i in 1.3x mode?  I would really like to see a sample if you don't mind.  Can you show a sample from the D5200 please.  

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for 25p HDMI out on D7100!

I was in the market and had the chance to plug my Ninja2 to a D7100. With the video set to 25p I successfully recorded 1080p25 to ProRes HQ without any black bars or overlays. That was not possible with the D5200.

@Andrew

In your D5200 review you wrote: "with a few tweaks such as a more magenta tone bias for better skin tones and to remove a slight bias towards green in the picture profile"

With such tweaks, would you favour D7100 (seems same sensor as D5200) or GH3 for skin tones (interview situations, close-ups, beauty shots, colors, banding, high light roll off,...)?

thanks!