When to shoot 4:3 or 16:9 with Anamorphot 2x

Adam Murphy

Hello,

I've got an anamorphic adapter from SLR Magic and I'm shooting in 4K at GH4.

I'm not sure when/which ratio I should choose, it is quite a new thing for me.

GH4 has 4:3 anamorphic mode, the result is wide and fits fro Vimeo and YouTube but for Instagram is it too wide.

So my question is: Do I have to shoot 16:9 IF the footage will be uploaded at instagram or can I still shoot 4:3 anamorphic and edit it later to 16:9 resolution? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Adam Murphy said:

Hello,

I've got an anamorphic adapter from SLR Magic and I'm shooting in 4K at GH4.

I'm not sure when/which ratio I should choose, it is quite a new thing for me.

GH4 has 4:3 anamorphic mode, the result is wide and fits fro Vimeo and YouTube but for Instagram is it too wide.

So my question is: Do I have to shoot 16:9 IF the footage will be uploaded at instagram or can I still shoot 4:3 anamorphic and edit it later to 16:9 resolution? 

Hey Adam and welcome to the club :)

I think that first, you have to understand your sensor. GH4 has a 4 by 3 sensor, that's why it is a micro four thirds. When filming in 16:9, you got a 16:9 crop image from the 4:3 sensor. When filming in 4:3 anamorphic mode, your GH4 uses the whole sensor.

Also, shooting on 16:9 with 2x anamorphics gives you 3.55:1, very wide aspect ratio, see the attached dog.

Shooting on 4:3 gives you 2.66:1 aspect ratio, see the attached drumset.

There are no rules, you have to know what you're aiming for. Shooting with the GH4 on 4:3 has it's own advantages and if 2.66:1 is still too wide, you can crop in to 2.39:1 cinema standard aspec ratio. Due 4K you won't loose resolution if exporting to 1080p.

vlcsnap-2017-01-07-14h32m45s209.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-07-14h38m12s114.jpg

With the option to shoot in 4:3 mode, I would take advantage of it at all times. As you don't lose any resolution when shooting anamorphic, and less post work. But anytime you shoot 16:9, you WILL have to crop in and WILL lose horizontal resolution. Unless you want to specifically retain the super wide 3.55 aspect ratio when shooting in 16:9 mode with a 2x. That's just my opinion, enjoy shooting anamorphic!

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.1.2017 at 1:24 PM, funkyou86 said:

When filming in 4:3 anamorphic mode, your GH4 uses the whole sensor.

Hey, is that really true?

Because as soon as I switch to Manual-Video mode the camera zooms in (crops?) quite a lot, like 70%.

Is there no way I can shoot using the whole sensor size to get more into the frame, and a more wide-angle view?

7 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Hey, is that really true?

Because as soon as I switch to Manual-Video mode the camera zooms in (crops?) quite a lot, like 70%.

Is there no way I can shoot using the whole sensor size to get more into the frame, and a more wide-angle view?

You're right, sorry for that! The 4:3 mode uses the whole height of the 4:3 sensor, not the whole sensor.

• 11 months later...