Interesting 2016 Sales Figures

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem with trying to draw conclusions from sales figures like these is that sales tend to be strongly weighted to the first few months after release. In Sony's case their major releases were in 2015, while 2016 was a slow year with minor releases. So lower unit sales is not surprising. We can expect their a7 mark 3 versions to be released in 2017, so they will likely have much higher unit sales this year compared to 2016.

@Arikhan Mattias already replied, and I do agree with him. Some other thoughts, as I am working on some snowy vineyards and I won't have much time the following days to reply

1) I never do AF, except gimbal work (and the NX1 on a Ronin is brilliant)

2) Metabones is just perfect, does it all (I am not sure that there are other active adapters anyway..), always used on tripod, not a big friend of handheld work

3) 99% use with EF and EF-S, everything works like an m4/3 adapted camera by a metabones active adapter (I guess, only m4/3 camera I have used, is GH4)

4) we haven't achieved great log footage so far, something is always off, and it doesn't help that you can not find any information on the net. So far we are avoiding using log, until further tests, maybe it is better to protect the highlights? Lifting up the shadows creates some unwanted noise. Anyways, not sure, we have to test more, but the camera works most of the time since june

5) image is no black magic stuff, it is a bit video-y, NX1 has better ISO, for sure, this camera (and NX, but especially this) needs proper light, NO A7S stuff either(!), I guess is on par, or even a bit worst than GH4 (up to 800iso for these, 1600 for NX, at least for me).

6) hfr is broken, crops heavily, unusable (if anyone knows different please tell, it drives us crazy!)

7) excellent prime zoom(!) function, if you are humble, you can slightly zoom-in and it is a great feat. to have. Great.

8) the handle in the top is great, no cables (I hate the cables on the C line)

9) working with LS300 yesterday, and with C100mkII today, I dedinitely prefer the C100 ergonomically. The JVC is built like a typical video camcorder, which does not really help ergonomically and it is very front heavy with most L lenses, and even EF-S ones; with m4/3 is better.

10) EVF and monitor are terrible, but I wouldn't expect anything better with this price point.

11) have you checked the price point? It's low, and there were some instant rebates on B&H a month ago.

12) it is a video camera, I love hybrid cameras, but for video work, you need a video camera!

6 hours ago, tugela said:

The problem with trying to draw conclusions from sales figures like these is that sales tend to be strongly weighted to the first few months after release. In Sony's case their major releases were in 2015, while 2016 was a slow year with minor releases. So lower unit sales is not surprising. We can expect their a7 mark 3 versions to be released in 2017, so they will likely have much higher unit sales this year compared to 2016.

So I guess my A6300 was a "minor" release. Just don't tell my spouse :-)

5 hours ago, tugela said:

Yes. For Sony the big products are their a7 cameras and the RX 10/100 cameras. Those are the lines that will move their numbers, the a6xxx cameras are filler products.

Yeah ASP-C cameras seem to be the redheaded stepchildren of camera company's as of late.