Interesting 2016 Sales Figures

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Should probably be taken with some salt.

That Canon leads the way is not news. They have pretty much always outsold the rest.

But I seriously didn't expect Sony to be beaten by both Canon and Olympus in mirrorless and by Panasonic in video cameras.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.bcnaward.jp/award/gallery/2017/hard/p2.html&usg=ALkJrhhGLrPCoDSj_m6TzqSR5yvYRAbHlw

Another chart:

Olympus lost 8% but it looks like it was to Canon not Sony.

http://www.43rumors.com/2016-sales-report-olympus-lost-8-sales-share-in-japan/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had posted somewhere an English version a little while ago (it could be a different forum though!), anyway, the numbers spoke. 

If you see the detailed analysis, the bulk of the sales are entry level, or discounted older models, cameras that we never discussed, or like here.

You can all see that our needs are vastly different than the mainstream, and Canon knows what the people want!

Also, Canon must sell in developing countries huge amounts of cheap dSLR, M3 (or whatever number their cheap mirrorless have) and a few 80D. China/India are 1/3 of the population on the planet, I do not see too many people from there investing in 10bit equipment or anything exotic. They want something that works reliably, and sufficiently for their needs.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The pinch of salt comes in handy because the Japanese market is so different to the rest of the world.

Nice to see Olympus doing well back at home though!

For sure, still a bit unexpected.

And yeah, Go Olympus! Always had high hopes for them.

I am assuming Sony was affected by the floods that reduced their capacity to make sensors for their cameras.  Either that or we have reached a point where the enthusiasts are tapped out money wise and the lower end of the market cannot afford sony products (makes sense since sony has placed themselves on the higher tier cost wise).  I don't think Sony has any products that compete well under the $500 segment.  On the other hand, this segment is flooded/dominated by canon products such as the rebel.  Companies who cater to a wider ranger of buyers will obviously sell more products.  I don't think Sony especially cares right now.  They are aiming for the enthusiast market and ultimately the pro market.  Once established, I think they will then go for the mainstream market.  Right now, competing with canon, etc. in the mainstream market is NOT a good idea (remember the failed NEX brand?). 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Also, Canon must sell in developing countries huge amounts of cheap dSLR, M3 (or whatever number their cheap mirrorless have) and a few 80D. China/India are 1/3 of the population on the planet, I do not see too many people from there investing in 10bit equipment or anything exotic. They want something that works reliably, and sufficiently for their needs.

Actually Canon, Nikon and (now) Sony have pretty good supply chain and after sales. Panasonic is mostly a damn squid in India. I even met one of the directors from Panasonic  (Japan) here (I think he was their product head), and I figured that the India operations needs a major overhaul. There is no reason why they aren't bringing most of their ILC models and why they shouldn't prioritise the GH5 with regard to India and China.

Terrible planning, more than anything else. And supply chain. And after sales. 

• Super Members

An observation from a fellow on the rumor site. Could be Fuji on the rise. At least in Sweden where mirrorless always have struggled they are becoming a household name.

"The total sale share for the 3 top sellers awarded 2016 (2015 sales) is 72,9 %.
The total sale share for the 3 top sellers awarded 2017 (2016 sales) is 63,2 %.

I guess this indicates that others vendors further down the rank have had higher shares lately, as I doubt mirrorless at large is losing sales momentum compared to other platforms..."

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 6:28 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Should probably be taken with some salt.

That Canon leads the way is not news. They have pretty much always outsold the rest.

But I seriously didn't expect Sony to be beaten by both Canon and Olympus in mirrorless and by Panasonic in video cameras.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.bcnaward.jp/award/gallery/2017/hard/p2.html&usg=ALkJrhhGLrPCoDSj_m6TzqSR5yvYRAbHlw

Another chart:

Olympus lost 8% but it looks like it was to Canon not Sony.

http://www.43rumors.com/2016-sales-report-olympus-lost-8-sales-share-in-japan/

Wow. Sigma beat Nikon for lenses sold :-o

JVC came third to Panasonic and Sony for video cameras.  Hope JVC makes a LS300 mk2.

Sony did not make the top three for SLRs with their A mount cameras. 

..and I was wondering if JVC ever sold more than 200 cameras!

You all know that I believe LS300 is in the right direction and best value for money. I just used it a few hours ago, for this documentary series I work, but a mkII can fix (or improve) on some issues, that can make this camera, truly the best value for money video camera on the market.

I am expecting an LS300 by Panasonic too.

Nikon is going DOWN..

Very good reading of the charts @IronFilm , missed those two!

@Kisaha

As it seems you have some experience with the ls300, I hope you could answer some questions:

1. Have you already used it with Canon lenses?
  2. If yes, how do you adapt Canon lenses to its MFT mount? Metabones? Which active adapter should be used?
  3. Does it support Canons IS when mounted to the camera?
  4. What about AF quality with Canon / Panasonic lenses? (I know AF is supported, but never saw a serious in deep test of it)
  5. What about low light? Comparable with the NX1 (which I know you are using exetensively) or better?

Thank you!

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@Kisaha

As it seems you have some experience with the ls300, I hope you could answer some questions:

1. Have you already used it with Canon lenses?
  2. If yes, how do you adapt Canon lenses to its MFT mount? Metabones? Which active adapter should be used?
  3. Does it support Canons IS when mounted to the camera?
  4. What about AF quality with Canon / Panasonic lenses? (I know AF is supported, but never saw a serious in deep test of it)
  5. What about low light? Comparable with the NX1 (which I know you are using exetensively) or better?

Thank you!

I have used it a bit.

1. Yes

2. Metabones work great.

3. Yes.

4. Its ok imo.

5. On par I guess or the NX1 might be a tad better.

Here is IS and AF with canon glass.

This is all hand-held with a Canon 35mm IS.

38 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have used it a bit.

1. Yes

2. Metabones work great.

3. Yes.

4. Its ok imo.

5. On par I guess or the NX1 might be a tad better.

Here is IS and AF with canon glass.

This is all hand-held with a Canon 35mm IS

Super nice work, Mattias!