0.64x Leica to APS-C speedbooster

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

How would this work? Aren't Leica lenses only made for covering the fullframe circle?

This is for APS-C. The strange thing is that  it's a speedbooster designed to work on short flange lenses, so this could be problematic with simetric wideangle lenses, but if it works it could make them look good on digital (vs smeared corners without booster on FF)

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

This is for APS-C. The strange thing is that  it's a speedbooster designed to work on short flange lenses, so this could be problematic with simetric wideangle lenses, but if it works it could make them look good on digital (vs smeared corners without booster on FF)

Yeh but a .64x booster would result in a wider view than most ff lenses are designed for. Like eg. A 24mm ff lens on a .71x booster on an apsc would result in a 17mm focal length which is 25.5 when used on the crop body. On a 0.64x youd end up with 23mm

4 hours ago, j_one said:

To be honest, my sights are currently on the XT-2 and fuji ecosystem, so I'm curious to know the same as OP

I'm guessing nothing works better than Fuji lenses on Fuji bodies - their build quality is unparalleled as is their optical performance. Not once when reviewing my clips in the timeline did I say to myself: if only I could mount a Zeiss on my X-T2, it would be the perfect system. But I would be curious to see Andrew's results once he's got the adapter. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm guessing nothing works better than Fuji lenses on Fuji bodies - their build quality is unparalleled as is their optical performance. Not once when reviewing my clips in the timeline did I say to myself: if only I could mount a Zeiss on my X-T2, it would be the perfect system. But I would be curious to see Andrew's results once he's got the adapter. 

I have to say that when I was looking into getting into the system what bugged me most was that there were no pictures on flickr that I thought looked nice, it all looked rather meh, with lots of CA. Obviously this is my personal perception, but that's what forums are all about I guess. Obviously AF is something nice to have and this is only possible with system lenses.

11 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Yeh but a .64x booster would result in a wider view than most ff lenses are designed for. Like eg. A 24mm ff lens on a .71x booster on an apsc would result in a 17mm focal length which is 25.5 when used on the crop body. On a 0.64x youd end up with 23mm

0.96x Fullframe, fullframe lenses cover this, just add some soft vignetting when wide open. Can't wait for andrew to test it, geometric distortion is another thing that might be problematic (and which would totally defeat the purpose for me of using this thing).

On 1/15/2017 at 8:17 PM, jonpais said:

The first problem with Fuji lenses is not with their build or image quality (in which they excel) but the fact that most of them don't have proper manual focus. That is not only problematic for video, but also in photography.

The second problem for me, was the inevitable shutter delay when the aperture was set to anything other than the max. I am not sure if they have fixed it since. 

I only use M-mount lenses on my fuji because they offer good enough quality and truly amazing ergonomics in a compact size. Plus, they also look great :) 

• Administrators

What Fuji is good at is value for money by comparison to Leica. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Yes the lenses are sharp, decently made - for what they are.

But the reality is -

Fuji is cheap cut price crop glass compared to Leica.

Very cheap to make, APS-C, not full frame.

The system is good but a pale imitation of what the Leica M and SL range offers optically.

Fuji have been inspired by Leica in terms of design, sure... Right down to the rangefinder style Hybrid VF. But technically they are not at the same level.

Also Leica glass has that artisan, painterly look that the clinical modern mirrorless Panasonic, Fuji and Sony lenses don't usually have as much of.

Fuji are not into the medium format market with GFX - very good sensor in that camera but again the optics are a bit uninspired compared to Leica. Medium format apertures tend to be slow. I'd rather use a fast F1 or F1.4 Leica lens on full frame than go medium format right now, if we're talking £8000+ for the Fuji GFX or Hasselblad X1D.

• 2 weeks later...