GH5 IBIS + Speed Booster

Simon Shasha

Hey guys,

Quick question - I plan on using my Nikon 28mm F2.8 AIS via a Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x.

This will convert the lens into a, roughly, 20mm F2.0.

Now, when I manually dial in the focal-length of the lens into the GH5 to activate IBIS for said focal-length, would I dial in the pre-Speed Boosted focal-length (28mm) or the post-Speed Boosted focal length (20mm)?

I'm gonna assume I would put in the post-Speed Boosted focal length (20mm)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Do you know if it communicates the effective or the focal length of the lens?

All I know is that when I mount the Nokton 17.5mm, the camera asks which focal length I'm using; with the Metabones, the stabilizer icon just turns on, it's just like using a Panasonic lens. Whatever focal length the camera is sensing seems to work great with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, and I could see no difference between dual IS and just IBIS. So, in answer to your question, no I don't. ?

You would enter the actual focal length of the lens (or of the lens + booster as a package).

Native lenses are of course labeled with this, although you don't have to enter anything for electronic native lenses, as they communicate with the body.

For non-electronic native lenses (Voigtlanders, Samyang/Rokinon m4/3 lenses, etc), you would have to manually enter the lenses' stated focal length. Same for any manual glass with a plain (non-booster) adapter.

For boosted lenses you would enter (lens focal length X speedbooster power), so for instance for a 50mm lens with a .71x booster you would enter 35.5mm (50mm X .71 = 35.5)- or the closest option in the IBIS menu.

I just finished watching the latest Newsshooter interview with Griffin Hammond and Matt Frazier. Matt says if you want to know whether your present  focal reducer will vignette on the GH5, simply shoot 1080p or photo mode 16:9 on your GH4. Matt also points out that because there is no crop in 4K on the GH5, it is effectively one stop faster than the GH4, even before taking into account a new sensor and processor. This makes sense, doesn't it?

I am interested if the MB SB XL 0,64 fits on the GH5 physically. I am told that it almost touches the sensor of the GH4. This would be an awesome combo. Does anybody know of a tester who used this (can't see the video above, cause I'm abroad with a smartphone and have used up my flatrate limit ...)

On 1/15/2017 at 1:10 PM, Axel said:

I am interested if the MB SB XL 0,64 fits on the GH5 physically. I am told that it almost touches the sensor of the GH4. This would be an awesome combo. Does anybody know of a tester who used this (can't see the video above, cause I'm abroad with a smartphone and have used up my flatrate limit ...)

I am also intrested in this, as I love my MB SB XL 0.64 and GH4 combo with my EOS Canon, and manual EOS mounted  adapted lenses.

5 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

So, what is the final price?…..GH5+LOG+METABONES = 1,999+100+649 = US$2,748.00

really?, mmm!!!, not going to pay that for a m4/3 camera, G85 is a much better option to my eyes….

The G80/85 is a fine camera if you don't need all those features.

• 1 year later...
On 14/01/2017 at 12:04 AM, Simon Shasha said:

Hey guys,

Quick question - I plan on using my Nikon 28mm F2.8 AIS via a Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x.

This will convert the lens into a, roughly, 20mm F2.0.

Now, when I manually dial in the focal-length of the lens into the GH5 to activate IBIS for said focal-length, would I dial in the pre-Speed Boosted focal-length (28mm) or the post-Speed Boosted focal length (20mm)?

I'm gonna assume I would put in the post-Speed Boosted focal length (20mm)?

I love the Nikkor 28mm ais, it's one of my favorite lens and it seems perfect for the GH5 & Speedbooster XL (=35mm focal)

Are you satisfied by the images you're producing?

Is the stabilizer working well when walking slowly? Could you post some footage you've produced with this set up?