Looks like the Fuji X-T20 gets 4K!

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/14/2017 at 6:09 AM, rooney111 said:

That must've been very hard, if they were the blue penguin they are the smallest penguins in the world. 

If they were the yellow eyed penguin then they are super rare and you better take the shot when you see one in their natural habitat (they swim in from the sea and walk towards the beach during sunset time). 

And I'm fairly certain you didn't see the crested penguin (the ones with big yellow eyebrows) because they live deeper in the rainforest closer to west coast. 

Anyways, point being sighting penguin and shooting them in South island isn't easy since we only have the small rare almost extinct species. You need a camera you are either very familiar with or very easy to use. 

It was actually pretty easy, following subjects with AF-c and the joystick is cake. They were hanging out in this area for about an hour, milling around, calling out to each other when one would go into the brush and disappear, cleaning each other and so on. I was there before sunrise. I missed them going into the water thanks to a trip to the toilet. But I got them swimming out to sea, they were incredibly cool to watch, a true bucket list experience, just amazing. AF is really, really good, even when you're moving the camera, only takes a second to snap into focus (I wish Fuji would let us adjust focus speed in video, but I usually just use that as an edit point anyway). Here's a frame (compressed a bit to make uploading easier, its not SOOC), shot handheld at 200mm with the 55-200.

EDIT: side note since this is a X-T20 thread, for me the joystick works better than a touchscreen to pull focus, most of the time I shoot through the EVF (easier to see in daylight) and my right hand is adjusting the shutter speed while the left holds the lens. 

Another edit, I have a bunch of XT2 travel video from the last month that I'm working on getting uploaded, there will be a flood of footage from me soon from Australia, New Zealand and now Malaysia - then more throughout the year from countries around the world.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.58.30 PM.jpg

Just now, Mattias Burling said:

Preorder price in Sweden is 4990skr which is 500 (€50) more than the 35/2.

So take your local 35/2 and add 15%.

So Sebastian is right, it's pretty pricey for a fifty millimeter lens. I'll probably hold off on that purchase.

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

It was actually pretty easy, following subjects with AF-c and the joystick is cake. Its really, really good, even when you're moving the camera. Here's a frame (compressed a bit to make uploading easier, its not SOOC), shot handheld at 200mm with the 55-200.

Not everyone's going to agree with me on this, but I think it's great that the Lumix GH5 is going to have a joystick. I find using the joystick allows much more precision than the current implementation of the touch screen on Lumix cameras.

The X-T20's 4K video is taken from the full width of the sensor, unlike the X-T2, meaning more lenses will be able to offer a wide-angle view while video shooting. However, this is achieved by line skipping, rather than capturing, demosaicing and then downsampling, so the resolution capture won't match the X-T2.

Speaking of the recently released 50mm f/2, I'm in the middle of watching bigheadtaco's review, and while it's true that the 50mm may have something of an identity crisis on its hands when shooting stills in APS-C format, in 4K, it actually becomes something like an 85mm f/2.8 in full frame terms, which should be fine for some types of portraiture, fashion shoots or even street photography.  But I don't see Fuji owners picking it up in droves because of the love shown for the 56mm f/1.2 or the superb 90mm f/2, as well as the fact that's it's still quite expensive. As for myself, I'm going to pass on it and get the 90mm, because I like to pick out faces in a crowd.

Pentax released that 77mm prime for portraits back in the film days and a lot of people love that lens. The Fuji equates to 76mm. Still think a 56mm f2  would have made more sense. He said someone at Fuji told him one of the reasons they went with 50mm is for all the people who grew up in the APSC era and had a nifty fifty as their first prime. They like and are comfortable with the focal length. That 90mm is really something else. Incredible lens from what I've seen. Was just watching a comparison of it and the 56mm the other day.

On 20/01/2017 at 7:53 PM, jonpais said:

Are you really experiencing problems with RS? ?

Well when im just shooting casually i tend to only be able to shoot hand held and i find jello to be really noticeable when doing so. 

Its a real shame about the 50mm. Im looking at alternatives atm. Theres the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 for a similar price. 

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Well when im just shooting casually i tend to only be able to shoot hand held and i find jello to be really noticeable when doing so. 

Its a real shame about the 50mm. Im looking at alternatives atm. Theres the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 for a similar price. 

Hi Sebastian. It never even occurred to me to shoot the X-T2 handheld. :) How about using a monopod?

3 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Its much better with the stabilized lenses. I've been shooting all handheld for the last 6 weeks, I notice it a lot more with the primes compared to the 10-24, 18-55 and even the 55-200. If I'm reasonable steady, even at 200mm, I get very little RS. And its still much better than the SAOny's I was shooting with before the XT2.

Its disappointing to see the XT20 is line skipping in 4k, that means aliasing and moire.

Pass.

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Its much better with the stabilized lenses. I've been shooting all handheld for the last 6 weeks, I notice it a lot more with the primes compared to the 10-24, 18-55 and even the 55-200. If I'm reasonable steady, even at 200mm, I get very little RS. And its still much better than the SAOny's I was shooting with before the XT2.

Its disappointing to see the XT20 is line skipping in 4k, that means aliasing and moire.

Pass.

I'm actually happy about the line skipping. Having paid $1,600.00 USD for the X-T2, then to have a model come out with identical video performance for $600.00 less would have made me have buyer's remorse. And then, I might have bought both cameras, and I'd end up in bankruptcy court. :) 

37 minutes ago, liork said:

You can have the Panasonic G7/G85 for far less $$$ without line skipping. So why should Fujifilm do that?

The G85 and the X-T20 cost the same at B&H; and the superior color rendition and image quality of the Fuji might make it worthwhile to some if there were no line skipping.

I just can't really understand the exceeding praise for the X-T2 for video to be honest. Yes, the Fuji colors straight out of the camera are nice. It's an amazing camera for photography (except for the X-Trans being sub-optimal with Lightroom). But the rolling shutter is basically the same as NX1/A7s/A7r and everyone hates on these cameras for having "too much" rolling shutter (shooting handheld with the NX1 IS a jello fest). It shoots the same 8bit 4:2:0 footage like the others, it can't even do log internally (and everyone hates on Canon for omitting CLog from cameras). After all this is a 1700€ APS-C camera and I feel like it's just "me too" when it comes to video.

Sometimes this forum baffles me. Some manufacturers get so much more leeway than others.

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I just can't really understand the exceeding praise for the X-T2 for video to be honest. Yes, the Fuji colors straight out of the camera are nice. It's an amazing camera for photography (except for the X-Trans being sub-optimal with Lightroom). But the rolling shutter is basically the same as NX1/A7s/A7r and everyone hates on these cameras for having "too much" rolling shutter (shooting handheld with the NX1 IS a jello fest). It shoots the same 8bit 4:2:0 footage like the others, it can't even do log internally (and everyone hates on Canon for omitting CLog from cameras). After all this is a 1700€ APS-C camera and I feel like it's just "me too" when it comes to video.

Sometimes this forum baffles me. Some manufacturers get so much more leeway than others.

No over heating, no puke ugly colors, no heavy crop, external controls, evf, flip screen solid build. Lots to like.

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

Have you ever shot with an X-T2? RS is not an issue at all - 0%. I don't swing my camera around, in fact, it's mounted on a tripod. RS is the least concern of mine with any camera. If it wasn't splattered all over the forums, I wouldn't even have been aware of RS. Whether it's 8 bit or not is irrelevant. 10 bit, 8 bit. I don't do a lot of grading - in fact, I don't do any at all. I can use the images straight out of the camera with little or no editing, they are gorgeous. The nicest colors I've seen since processing my own Cibachrome prints back in the eighties. And $1,700.00 is a small price to pay for the best image quality APS-C sensor out there. 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

No over heating, no puke ugly colors, no heavy crop, external controls, evf, flip screen solid build. Lots to like.

I prefer your answer to mine! But I did forget to add that the Acros film simulation also rules.