Film Convert workflow and exportation

Clément Boulanger

Hi everyone!

I'm starting in filmmaking and i have some questions about workflow. For the moment, I use FCPX with Film Convert in stand-alone version (because FCPX is so slow with the plugin). So, maybe I do things in the wrong way, maybe what I will say seems stupid so don't hesitate to say me, I'm beginner and don't know a lot yet. And sorry for English mistakes, not my native language. :)

At first I make editing in FCPX and I export the timeline to grade it in Film Convert. My question is about the FC exportation before reimport graded footage in FCPX. I have 2 cases :

1. 4K project with 4K footage. Does Film Convert support 4K footage? The exportation doesn't suggest 4K format, I can set size manually but will I keep the same quality of footage? (Seems the exported video files from FC are a bit lighter than original...)

2. 1080 project with some 4K footage. So, this question depends of the answer of 1st question but if I have 4K footage, should I export it from FC in 1080 directly or it's better to export in 4K and FCPX will resize it in project.

Thank you in advance for your answers! ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Most don't use the standalone app, so they may just not know. I do know filmconvert supports 4K footage, but I don't know what your exporting out of your timeline in FCP. You should always export with highest quality before bringing it into another application.

For question 2, I would still export as 4K if your going to use filmconvert as the final step.

I have the stand alone and I think the best route is to export an XML from FCPX, import it into FilmConvert, grade, then export the XML and reopen in FCPX. I haven't done it yet, so research the best method. I believe you want to make sure the exported XML from FilmConvert is the same file name as the one FCPX exported, that way when FCPX reopens it, it will recognize the file and conform the changes... but again I have not attempted this yet, so research it to make sure.

12 hours ago, Clément Boulanger said:

Yes, ok to always export in the highest quality. But it seemed weird to me to have in FC export settings 1920x1080 as the maximum size.

For me, if the stand-alone app supports 4K, it should suggest this size in export settings, without having to do it manually... It's why i'm wondering. 

If it helps, I don't recall Premiere having a 4K export option in the export presets. I always have to manually dial in the resolution, unless I'm missing something...