Lens advice for GX80 - Speedbooster or native

Goose

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and lensregain first, big mistake. It's just too inconvenient, makes it unwieldly when handheld. Portability and IBIS are 2 factors that make the GX85 great, the speedbooster combo just ruins it.

I'm a big fan of the 25mm 1.4, the last time I was this excited about taking pictures was when I got my first DSLR. Here are some my pics with the 25mm 1.4:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/146178233@N07/albums/72157679142129036

AF is another thing, I remember once when I was shooting video all day with the Sigma 18-35 + speedbooster combo. I was tired and thought the subject's eyes were in focus...but in post I found that a plant near the subject was actually in focus. More room for mistakes.

7 hours ago, Yuan said:

I got the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and lensregain first, big mistake. It's just too inconvenient, makes it unwieldly when handheld. Portability and IBIS are 2 factors that make the GX85 great, the speedbooster combo just ruins it.

I'm a big fan of the 25mm 1.4, the last time I was this excited about taking pictures was when I got my first DSLR. Here are some my pics with the 25mm 1.4:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/146178233@N07/albums/72157679142129036

AF is another thing, I remember once when I was shooting video all day with the Sigma 18-35 + speedbooster combo. I was tired and thought the subject's eyes were in focus...but in post I found that a plant near the subject was actually in focus. More room for mistakes.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've never used AF with Speed Boosters, just MF, and all my shots, no exaggeration, have been spot-on, and we're talking about shooting as wide as f/1.8 (f/1.2 or so after conversion). I just finished shooting a model this afternoon, and I was shooting at around f/3.2 with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and SB XL, and I followed her as she walked, and without any focus pulling, she stayed in focus. So, I would avoid AF C for video unless you've got an APS-C camera, or if the subject is wearing shiny jewelry, sunglasses, black and white stripes, or has strong sunshine in their hair, which Lumix cameras can lock onto fairly easily.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've never used AF with Speed Boosters, just MF, and all my shots, no exaggeration, have been spot-on, and we're talking about shooting as wide as f/1.8 (f/1.2 or so after conversion). I just finished shooting a model this afternoon, and I was shooting at around f/3.2 with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and SB XL, and I followed her as she walked, and without any focus pulling, she stayed in focus. So, I would avoid AF C for video unless you've got an APS-C camera, or if the subject is wearing shiny jewelry, sunglasses, black and white stripes, or has strong sunshine in their hair, which Lumix cameras can lock onto fairly easily.

I have never used AF with Speed Boosters either. I was talking about fatigue setting in after a day of shooting and it creates more room for mistakes, needlessly.

Using native lenses opens you up to more freedom of mobility, less fatigue, focussing with lower margin of error. Basically, using a M43 system for what it excels in. I think Griffin Hammond expressed something similar for his video work.

I think the speedbooster route makes the most sense if your goal is to move onto a FF/apsc system with your set of lenses in the future (using Canon lenses now with the goal to move onto Canon cameras in the future for example).

But I think even if I move onto FF in the future, I would keep a M43 setup for its compactness. For me at least, the GX85 and 25mm 1.4 combo is just so right when it comes to size/weight to performance ratio (and cost). Besides using this for hobbyist projects, I can imagine bringing it with me on vacation without taking away from my experience, so it creates the opportunity to capture more great moments. I wouldn't consider FF glass if I wanted to have a good time.

4 hours ago, Yuan said:

I have never used AF with Speed Boosters either. I was talking about fatigue setting in after a day of shooting and it creates more room for mistakes, needlessly.

Using native lenses opens you up to more freedom of mobility, less fatigue, focussing with lower margin of error. Basically, using a M43 system for what it excels in. I think Griffin Hammond expressed something similar for his video work.

I think the speedbooster route makes the most sense if your goal is to move onto a FF/apsc system with your set of lenses in the future (using Canon lenses now with the goal to move onto Canon cameras in the future for example).

But I think even if I move onto FF in the future, I would keep a M43 setup for its compactness. For me at least, the GX85 and 25mm 1.4 combo is just so right when it comes to size/weight to performance ratio (and cost). Besides using this for hobbyist projects, I can imagine bringing it with me on vacation without taking away from my experience, so it creates the opportunity to capture more great moments. I wouldn't consider FF glass if I wanted to have a good time.

Thank you for your input.

On 1/15/2017 at 2:12 AM, Mattias Burling said:

The 20mm f1.7 is a nice lens. Its AF for stills isnt as bad as its rep imo. For 90% of the people it will be fine.

It used to be my goto lens for m4/3. Usually I experiment with adapters, old glass etc but keep at least one capable native lens so I can keep it simple if I want to.

Now days its the Olympus 17mm f1.8. Its an awesome lens on a Panasonic, Olympus or Blackmagic. Razor sharp, fast, lovley bokeh and the option of manual focus is very welcomed.

Since its been a kit lens for various models, just like the 20mm f1.7, it is now cheap to buy used, €180-250.

It grew on me. I use the 20 f1.7 for street photography and casual shoots now

49 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

@Andrew Reid 

Have you tried using the bmcc (Not Pocket) speedbooster on the gx80?

I'm pretty sure Andrew already said there's little reason to mount a BM adapter on the Lumix as the XL adapter already gives you 0.64x without running the risk of damaging your camera. The XL is also optimized for the thickness of the filter stack on the Panasonic. But he can answer better.

16 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm pretty sure Andrew already said there's little reason to mount a BM adapter on the Lumix as the XL adapter already gives you 0.64x without running the risk of damaging your camera. The XL is also optimized for the thickness of the filter stack on the Panasonic. But he can answer better.

Thanks the Info, but I have the bmcc booster and I don't have the XL one. 

17 hours ago, Nikkor said:

@Andrew Reid 

Have you tried using the bmcc (Not Pocket) speedbooster on the gx80?

I haven't tried that particular combination, but the 0.64x BMCC Speed Booster has a full millimeter *less* clearance on the camera side than the 0.64x XL.  The XL also has a larger image circle that is compatible with the fill size m43 format, and it is also optimized for the standard m43 filter stack rather than the non-standard Blackmagic stack.  Odds are you can probably get the BMCC version to work, but you'll probably be pressing on the flexible shutter cover and you won't get optimal image quality.

6 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

I haven't tried that particular combination, but the 0.64x BMCC Speed Booster has a full millimeter *less* clearance on the camera side than the 0.64x XL.  The XL also has a larger image circle that is compatible with the fill size m43 format, and it is also optimized for the standard m43 filter stack rather than the non-standard Blackmagic stack.  Odds are you can probably get the BMCC version to work, but you'll probably be pressing on the flexible shutter cover and you won't get optimal image quality.

Thanks Brian, that's what I'm expecting, it's just a temporary thing to use stabilization with my existing Lens-lineup and quality is not important. So the question is if it fits or not.