Lens advice for GX80 - Speedbooster or native

Goose

Hi folks

I recently purchased the double GX80 with the 12-32 and 35-100 lenses and now I would like to look at my options for other lenses, especially low light primes.  I would be grateful for any advice. I have been looking at the Panny 25 1.7 which is pretty cheap or the (probably better) 25 1.4.  Obviously theses the advantage of being a native lens and pretty small/light.

I bought the M43 because I have only used Canon and wanted to find out more about M43 as a forerunner to possibly moving to the GH5 at some point.  I also got it because of the size and weight advantage for days out etc.  However, I have also been wondering about buying a Metabones speed booster in order to use my Canon lenses (I also have a Canon 750d with the EF-S 18-135, EF-S 17-55 2.8, EF 100 macro 2.8 and EF 50 1.4)

My concerns are - the speed booster is fairly expensive and I cannot use my EF-S lenses (is this the case?)  I was wondering if I should just sell my EF-S 17-55 2.8, buy the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a speedbooster?  If I get the 0.64xl I also read that APS-C lenses might vignette in photo mode or 1080p so is it best to get the .71 version?  If so will this be the best choice if I move to the GH5 at some point?

I would be grateful for any views on this, especially on the Panny 25 1.4 or whether I should invest in the 0.71 speedboster to use my Canon EF 50.14 and other EF (or possibly EF-S) lenses. 

Many thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you just want to use your Canon lenses, there is also a Kipon adapter that is not a focal reducer/speedbooster and it is  bit cheaper.    

I don't know how well it would work with your camera but it is fine with my GX7 and all my Canon lenses except an ancient film era EF 28-90.      Doesn't work for AFC with my camera but AFS is pretty quick and fairly accurate (and including my EF-S 18-55 IS ii kit lens).       It doesn't allow IBIS with my GX7 and Canon lenses for some reason but IBIS is fairly limited anyway with the GX7.    IS works well when that is in the lens.

IF AF in video or AFC is required, native is still better (except for the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 at least).

If you can afford it, I would recommend at least trying a AF adapter/speedbooster to use your lenses especially if keeping dual systems.

4 hours ago, noone said:

If you just want to use your Canon lenses, there is also a Kipon adapter that is not a focal reducer/speedbooster and it is  bit cheaper.    

I don't know how well it would work with your camera but it is fine with my GX7 and all my Canon lenses except an ancient film era EF 28-90.      Doesn't work for AFC with my camera but AFS is pretty quick and fairly accurate (and including my EF-S 18-55 IS ii kit lens).       It doesn't allow IBIS with my GX7 and Canon lenses for some reason but IBIS is fairly limited anyway with the GX7.    IS works well when that is in the lens.

IF AF in video or AFC is required, native is still better (except for the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 at least).

If you can afford it, I would recommend at least trying a AF adapter/speedbooster to use your lenses especially if keeping dual systems.

Does the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 not work well with AF in video?

Hey Merce! Happy New Year! Heck, It´s too late to be in bed early:) But had to answer this quickly. Heck nono, that lens does not well with AF neither in

video nor in photo :) Beautiful image quality, stellar, one of the very best mft lenses out there. But mechanically it is lacking and in AF even more, AF

in video much, much more. Have been thinking about selling that lens for year now. But image quality in a compact pocket size is keeping from doing so.

I paired it with my new GX80 for doing some filming during a trip. Always shaky footage when trying to focus manually:) By the way, I think GX80 is best

coupled with a light rig for filming, baseplate, rods and handles are enough, very basic. Good night for now:)

cheers

7 hours ago, Goose said:

I would be grateful for any views on this, especially on the Panny 25 1.4 or whether I should invest in the 0.71 speedboster to use my Canon EF 50.14 and other EF (or possibly EF-S) lenses. 

Many thanks in advance.

Hey. I recommend a low price 0.71 (standard) focal reducer from China for around 100 USD/EU.

I got a FD version, because the Canon 28mm, and 50mm 1.4 are very cheap and of very good quality.

The 28mm can be shot wide open at 2.8, coupled with the 50mm at 2.8 you got a great combo with light sensitivty for F2.0 when

speedboosted. My favorite lens is the speedboosted 28mm from Canon. Gives you the same framing as the 20mm, mercer

was talking about. cheers

Personally, if we're just talking about one lens to pair with the GX85, I would bypass

7 hours ago, Goose said:

Hi folks

I recently purchased the double GX80 with the 12-32 and 35-100 lenses and now I would like to look at my options for other lenses, especially low light primes.  I would be grateful for any advice. I have been looking at the Panny 25 1.7 which is pretty cheap or the (probably better) 25 1.4.  Obviously theses the advantage of being a native lens and pretty small/light.

I bought the M43 because I have only used Canon and wanted to find out more about M43 as a forerunner to possibly moving to the GH5 at some point.  I also got it because of the size and weight advantage for days out etc.  However, I have also been wondering about buying a Metabones speed booster in order to use my Canon lenses (I also have a Canon 750d with the EF-S 18-135, EF-S 17-55 2.8, EF 100 macro 2.8 and EF 50 1.4)

My concerns are - the speed booster is fairly expensive and I cannot use my EF-S lenses (is this the case?)  I was wondering if I should just sell my EF-S 17-55 2.8, buy the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a speedbooster?  If I get the 0.64xl I also read that APS-C lenses might vignette in photo mode or 1080p so is it best to get the .71 version?  If so will this be the best choice if I move to the GH5 at some point?

Many thanks in advance.

You did say you'd appreciate any views on this, so here's mine: bypass the Sigma 18-35mm and Metabones altogether and go with the Leica Nocticron. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Does the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 not work well with AF in video?

I gave mine away ages ago with an Oly M4/3 camera to  relatives before using it for video (mine was version 1).

I have just done a Google search and found this at B&H for version ii so it seems it does work for video but not stills.

"Supports the Contrast AF system for highly precise autofocus. Continuous Auto Focus (AFC) does not work for still image capture but is usable when recording video"

You can use the 17-55mm f2.8 with a speedbooster if you remove the plastic baffle on the back of the lens, which sticks into the mount and will hit the front element in the speedbooster. If you do a bit of googling you will find more info on this.

I would recommend getting a .71x booster over the XL .64x version. Less danger of vignetting and more future-proof, as the GH5 uses the whole sensor width for all video modes.

Canon 17-55 f2.8 vs. Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is something you have to decide for yourself. If you need IS or the larger range, the Canon is your choice, but you will need a proper Metabones booster, as that has electronics to power the lens for aperture control and IS. If speed is your primary concern go for the Sigma. If you get a Nikon mount Sigma you can use a "dumb" booster and that saves some money.

Don't waste your money on any generic booster other than a Mitakon/Zhongyi Lens Turbo II. The cheaper ones have awful flare problems, or are soft.

@Goose If you can get the 25mm f1.7 very cheap (100-150 usd) I would get that over the Leica if price is a concern. If you like the 12-32mm and 35-100mm you will probably like the 25mm. A kit with the GX80 and 12-32mm, 35-100mm, 25mm f/1.7 and 42,5mm f/1.7 for example would give you great image quality in a tiny package, + autofocus for stills. 

It all depends on how big you want your setup to be. Speedbosters are tempting but whenever I think about getting one with FF lenses I always come to the conclusion that native lenses are best for my needs, even if it sometimes means a higher price or lower/different image quality. 

This is shot with the 25mm Pana Leica and the GX85:

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

Personally, if we're just talking about one lens to pair with the GX85, I would bypass

You did say you'd appreciate any views on this, so here's mine: bypass the Sigma 18-35mm and Metabones altogether and go with the Leica Nocticron. 

The 42.5 1.2?  That looks an amazing lens but then it is £1049.  I will see how I get on with M43 for a few months I think but it certainly is desirable!

8 hours ago, aldolega said:

You can use the 17-55mm f2.8 with a speedbooster if you remove the plastic baffle on the back of the lens, which sticks into the mount and will hit the front element in the speedbooster. If you do a bit of googling you will find more info on this.

I would recommend getting a .71x booster over the XL .64x version. Less danger of vignetting and more future-proof, as the GH5 uses the whole sensor width for all video modes.

Canon 17-55 f2.8 vs. Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is something you have to decide for yourself. If you need IS or the larger range, the Canon is your choice, but you will need a proper Metabones booster, as that has electronics to power the lens for aperture control and IS. If speed is your primary concern go for the Sigma. If you get a Nikon mount Sigma you can use a "dumb" booster and that saves some money.

Don't waste your money on any generic booster other than a Mitakon/Zhongyi Lens Turbo II. The cheaper ones have awful flare problems, or are soft.

Thanks - do you know if I remove the rubber back from the 17-55 if it can still be used on the Canon body?  If not does it go back on ok?  If so I will probably stick with the 17-55 over the Sigma 18-35 especially since you gain a stop.  Thanks for the advice on which speedbooster - seems the .71 version is the best bet.

2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

@Goose If you can get the 25mm f1.7 very cheap (100-150 usd) I would get that over the Leica if price is a concern. If you like the 12-32mm and 35-100mm you will probably like the 25mm. A kit with the GX80 and 12-32mm, 35-100mm, 25mm f/1.7 and 42,5mm f/1.7 for example would give you great image quality in a tiny package, + autofocus for stills. 

It all depends on how big you want your setup to be. Speedbosters are tempting but whenever I think about getting one with FF lenses I always come to the conclusion that native lenses are best for my needs, even if it sometimes means a higher price or lower/different image quality. 

This is shot with the 25mm Pana Leica and the GX85:

Nice work :) 

Thanks also for the advice, I am thinking that I would like at least one fast native lens and the 25.17 is pretty cheap.  I think I will start there and see how I get on.

12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Merce! Happy New Year! Heck, It´s too late to be in bed early:) But had to answer this quickly. Heck nono, that lens does not well with AF neither in

video nor in photo :) Beautiful image quality, stellar, one of the very best mft lenses out there. But mechanically it is lacking and in AF even more, AF

in video much, much more. Have been thinking about selling that lens for year now. But image quality in a compact pocket size is keeping from doing so.

I paired it with my new GX80 for doing some filming during a trip. Always shaky footage when trying to focus manually:) By the way, I think GX80 is best

coupled with a light rig for filming, baseplate, rods and handles are enough, very basic. Good night for now:)

cheers

Hey. I recommend a low price 0.71 (standard) focal reducer from China for around 100 USD/EU.

I got a FD version, because the Canon 28mm, and 50mm 1.4 are very cheap and of very good quality.

The 28mm can be shot wide open at 2.8, coupled with the 50mm at 2.8 you got a great combo with light sensitivty for F2.0 when

speedboosted. My favorite lens is the speedboosted 28mm from Canon. Gives you the same framing as the 20mm, mercer

was talking about. cheers

So no discernible difference between 20mm 1.7 version 1 or 2 as far as AF is concerned?

BTW happy New Year Panny... sorry about my lack of manners.

If you don't mind manual focus then the SLR Magics and Voigtlanders are nice.

I picked up a 12mm 1.6t SLR Magic and a Voitlander 25mm 0.95 secondhand and they seem to fit and compliment the philosophy of m43. They are small but solid.

I have come from Canon and I wanted a system that weighs less and takes up less room.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

So no discernible difference between 20mm 1.7 version 1 or 2 as far as AF is concerned?

BTW happy New Year Panny... sorry about my lack of manners.

Hey!

Rather great manners you got, I would say!:) AF is unchanged.

Believe me, even in photo mode it is not really a joy to use. 1 to 2 seconds of focussing time.

The 14mm 2.5 is quick in photomode and used ones should be possible to be bought for 120usd.

cheers

• Super Members

The 20mm f1.7 is a nice lens. Its AF for stills isnt as bad as its rep imo. For 90% of the people it will be fine.

It used to be my goto lens for m4/3. Usually I experiment with adapters, old glass etc but keep at least one capable native lens so I can keep it simple if I want to.

Now days its the Olympus 17mm f1.8. Its an awesome lens on a Panasonic, Olympus or Blackmagic. Razor sharp, fast, lovley bokeh and the option of manual focus is very welcomed.

Since its been a kit lens for various models, just like the 20mm f1.7, it is now cheap to buy used, €180-250.

@Goose At the same time, you've got a relatively slow 12-32mm kit lens and 35-100mm f/2.8. Moving to f/1.7 will only give you around a 1-1/2 stop advantage, whereas getting a focal reducer can increase your light gathering by up to three stops over what you've got now, which is not insignificant considering we're dealing with a u4/3 sensor.

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The 20mm f1.7 is a nice lens. Its AF for stills isnt as bad as its rep imo. For 90% of the people it will be fine.

It used to be my goto lens for m4/3. Usually I experiment with adapters, old glass etc but keep at least one capable native lens so I can keep it simple if I want to.

Now days its the Olympus 17mm f1.8. Its an awesome lens on a Panasonic, Olympus or Blackmagic. Razor sharp, fast, lovley bokeh and the option of manual focus is very welcomed.

Since its been a kit lens for various models, just like the 20mm f1.7, it is now cheap to buy used, €180-250.

Do Olympus lenses autofocus well with Panasonic bodies?