YI 4K60p Action Camera

JurijTurnsek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, mercer said:

Wow... those look great. That is some high quality video from an action cam. Was there any color work done to those videos in post, or is it straight out of camera?

Thank you. Some minor WB adjustments in some clips and luminance and contrast tweaks only.

@markr041 There is a very noticeable "tremble" in all shot, is it the stabilization system? the lack of it? Were any of the shots stabilized with a traditional way (tripod)? Also, how's the shadow/highlight manipulation?

Is this the best Action cam footage I have ever seen? (I am watching in 1440p, loved the results).

All completely handheld, so the trembling is mine (plus wind sometimes). The X3000 has the best stabilization system available for camcorders - BOSS. But, I did not use the best stabilization mode (Active, which combines BOSS with EIS). I have gotten better at handheld with it, and have found that active mode does improve the stabilization without any visible degradation of IQ. It is much harder to hold steady a very light camera, whatever the stabilization system.

The key point for me is the small size (I can take it anywhere; I can get shots in a small amount of time with no setup); so if I have to use a tripod then there is no point to this camera however good its video quality.

On shadow/highlight: I am always surprised by the range. On bright days sometimes the ooc footage looks overexposed with hot spots but when I bring down luminance in post, the colors become more saturated and the hot spots disappear. In the sunlit snow, the clips were slightly underexposed, but bringing up luma did not result in perceptible shadow noise. I could have done more with curves, but did not.

@markr041 I understand, there are a few tiny tripods though (like the Manfrotto Compact Action that I carry into my backpack) that maybe worth the "inconvenience" (just one kilo!).

Can you shoot something with a higher ISO? Can we see the best stabilization mode with some movement with it?

I am waiting a long time for a considerable better action cam than the Yis and the Yans, and maybe this Sony does it, for the very first time. 

Thanks for posting.

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@markr041 I understand, there are a few tiny tripods though (like the Manfrotto Compact Action that I carry into my backpack) that maybe worth the "inconvenience" (just one kilo!).

Can you shoot something with a higher ISO? Can we see the best stabilization mode with some movement with it?

I am waiting a long time for a considerable better action cam than the Yis and the Yans, and maybe this Sony does it, for the very first time. 

Thanks for posting.

I have actually used Joby's, so I can attach the camera to all sorts of places, before there was any stabilization in small cameras.

Here are two low-light videos:

No stabilization at all in 4K60p for this  *announced* model (check their web site). As long as cameras eschew optical or block sensor stabilization, they will hit processor limits on digital stabilization. No stabilization makes using this camera handheld at 4K 60p pretty useless.

I am sure that GoPro and Sony will announce 4K 60p shooters too; GoPro uses the same chipset as Yi, and they desperately need a new model. But I would guess it will have the same limitation.

Sure, but it is very likely that GoPro intended to sell their 4k60 baby for way more than 300 bucks, approx. >500 bucks - and of course no stabilizer integrated because GoPro wants to sell their Karma Grip for 350. There are more and more gimbals for actions cams available for less than 300 bucks, chinese ones for 200.

GoPro version of stabilized 4k60: 500 + 350 = 850

Yi version of stabilized 4k60: 300 +  200 = 500

Probably for the same hardware, the only difference the bell & whistles of GoPro advertisement.

On 12 January 2017 at 11:50 PM, JurijTurnsek said:

You guys are forgetting that no waterproof accessories are included with the Yi cam, whereas GoPro supplies then in every package - the price difference isn't that dramatic. Also you can discuss IS vs gimbals forever, but in the end, every user has his own needs and the market gives options for both.

Never heard of a Yi case costing 200dollars... I'd say for regular people 300 vs 500 is a fairly big deal (for me it is).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, you saw my X3000 videos above. Now I have the Yi 4K+! And I took advantage of the 4K 60p to shoot a video (with gimbal). I think the main advantage of 60p (at high resolution) is that you can slow down the action and still retain high resolution. This is particularly useful for when you move with the camera, although it also makes subject movement more dramatic. So, here is the 4K30p video shot at 60p: