Low Temperature issue?

Snowfun

I'm in the arctic filming (hobby - not the primary reason I'm here) the aurora. I have the A7S with an Atomos Shogun. And a cable to connect them. Inside the cabin the rig works fine. Last night (during a superb display) it worked for 30s before the Shogun said "no input". Shooting internally thereafter with the A7S was ok. After waiting until everything dried (condensation is a real issue) the rig worked fine again. The temperature last night was -30C. The same thing has happened on previous occasions - difficult to determine but ? at less extreme T it works longer. Is it possible that low temperatures affect the cable connection? Both units continue to work as far as I can tell with the exception of the "no input" message. I use a cable lock so the physical connection seems to be ok.

Any ideas would be helpful!

On a not unrelated note, it solves the Sony overheating issue...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Random theory (might be worth experimenting to prove or dis-prove) - it may be that the cable itself is acting as a conduit from the cold...prolonged -30C temperatures directly passing to the connection pins might not be a good thing, the cable is likely acting as a very effective conductor of cold (especially with wind chill) directly into the camera and shogun - possibly causing the signal dropout. But it may be more likely that it's a cable that when stiff or contracting from cold has a poor signal transmission. I wonder if extra insulation to the cable or occasionally applying a hand warmer pack to the cable in extreame cold would solve the problem.

I like the idea of using a hand warmer - will wrap the cable up in a spare down hood with one and see what happens. Now the problem is the hideously high temperatures here (-10 this evening).

It's a curly cable so a lot of surface area is exposed - an interesting theory that the cable itself is transmitting cold into the electronics. Can't complain too much as both the Sony & Atomos are probably neither designed nor intended for such cold (BMCC & BMPCC also survive fine and my Miller video head hasn't frozen solid unlike previous Manfrotto).