Lumix GH5 Downloadable Footage

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

17 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Here is mine. Usual Caveat, I'm not a Pro Colorist. I tried to do something balanced being light on the curve and contrast because I don't like the usual crushed black look. In terms of mood I decided to keep it on the cool side that fit the humid/snowy Seattle scene.  Constructive critics and tips are welcome. If I did something wrong, please tell me how to fix it. Thanks

Is the shot near the end supposed to be blue? Because if it is, you need calibrate your monitor, it's leaning toward magenta in most of your shots here.

So of course I decided to take my own crack at the footage, goal to see how interesting I could make the footage if it was just given to me. Selective sharpening, retiming, and reframing are used. Did not enjoy that low shot so I didn't bother with it.

10-Bit - Very impressed with great range and edit flexibility.
8-Bit - Disappointed, clear banding on skin tones.

1 minute ago, Geoff CB said:

Is the shot near the end supposed to be blue? Because if it is, you need calibrate your monitor, it's leaning toward magenta in most of your shots here.

Thanks for your feedback, as I said I wanted to get a cool mood but I checked on another monitor and I also noticed the Magenta cast. My new monitor needs to be calibrated, I ordered a screen calibration tool (ColorMunki). Should solve this problem.

Some more waterfall and snow (boring). Wish someone who is able to open the 10 bit footage was kind enough to share a frame or two, so others who can't open the footage can give it a shot as well.

Below one and the same CC + slight adjustment of the blue channel

snow_neumann_02.jpg

snow_neumann_03.jpg

snow_neumann_01.jpg

waterfall_neumann_01.jpg

waterfall_neumann_02.jpg

5 minutes ago, bunk said:

Some more waterfall and snow (boring). Wish someone who is able to open the 10 bit footage was kind enough to share a frame or two, so others who can't open the footage can give it a shot as well.

Drop the footage in media encoder and convert them to Cineform or DNxHR

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Drop the footage in media encoder and convert them to Cineform or DNxHR

not_working.jpg

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah I had to transcode and downscale to 1080p Prores. It was a quick conversion with EditReady. 

Now that was a great tip. It actually works ....and no need to downscale.

Same CC as above slightly adjusted levels.

sunset_neumann_01.jpg

Same...

seattle_neumann_01.jpg

same CC + slightly over the top color grade.

perpetua_neumann_01.jpg

Same color grade node applied to seattle...

seattle_neumann_02.jpg

I'm really impressed by the internal 10 bit Vlog. It can only mean that Cine D will be great.

What stands out the most for me is the beautifull grain, almost BM-like. Gone are the days of fluffy grain clouds dancing all over the place ...at least if this is an indication.

I think the key thing to take away from this is...stay away from skin tones in 60/180fps and it is a very useful tool.  If you NEED skin tones...try and light the face evenly to remove shadows/gradients.  Hell, a reflector would even work well.  You basically want to stay away from needing to do TOO much on the face. I would honestly just opt out of shooting in V-Log if I were going to do a bunch of 60p stuff.  Shoot in Standard and get it right in camera...don't touch the grade except for maybe denoising/adding film grain.  V-Log requires grade, enough grade that you basically have to incinerate the 8bit image to get 90% of what you would with just a standard profile.

In the end, once you have enough time with the camera...you will know what works and what doesn't.

Got some 180fps content ready to upload.  We just tried to capture as many different scenarios as possible.  Interiors with good lighting and ISO at 400, exteriors with no lighting at 400, interiors with only practical lights at ISO 800 and ISO 1600.  I think it will show when/where/how to use 180fps and what you can do to avoid the pitfalls of 8bit.  Much of what all of you have seen with 60 but multiplied. 

So it would basically be the same rule it seems most have adopted for the GH4- stick to normal gammas with 8-bit (in-camera), and use 10-bit for V-Log (i.e. add a recorder). Just with the GH5, going to 10-bit is only a matter of switching a couple settings, instead of dragging out the recorder, and the SSD's, and the HDMI cable, and the rigging...

Sounds like I will just be setting one of the custom modes on the dial to 4K60p with Cinelike D at Leeming LUT settings, and another to 4K30 with V-Log and the preview LUT. Should be pretty simple to switch between them.

As someone who shoots a lot of motion, the only things I'm worried about are the possibility of ghosting from temporal NR, and the haloing that @anti12 just posted is worrisome too. It seems like with every GH release the engineers do their best to deliver the most nail-bitingly-sharpened-and-processed image they can, and we all spend the first month or two with the camera just trying to dial that out of the picture. It would be really nice if, right off the bat, we could have the option to not just turn down, but turn off the extra processing and NR, instead of waiting/hoping for a firmware update that lets us do so.

58 minutes ago, aldolega said:

So it would basically be the same rule it seems most have adopted for the GH4- stick to normal gammas with 8-bit (in-camera), and use 10-bit for V-Log (i.e. add a recorder). Just with the GH5, going to 10-bit is only a matter of switching a couple settings, instead of dragging out the recorder, and the SSD's, and the HDMI cable, and the rigging...

Sounds like I will just be setting one of the custom modes on the dial to 4K60p with Cinelike D at Leeming LUT settings, and another to 4K30 with V-Log and the preview LUT. Should be pretty simple to switch between them.

As someone who shoots a lot of motion, the only things I'm worried about are the possibility of ghosting from temporal NR, and the haloing that @anti12 just posted is worrisome too. It seems like with every GH release the engineers do their best to deliver the most nail-bitingly-sharpened-and-processed image they can, and we all spend the first month or two with the camera just trying to dial that out of the picture. It would be really nice if, right off the bat, we could have the option to not just turn down, but turn off the extra processing and NR, instead of waiting/hoping for a firmware update that lets us do so.

Exactly!  I think that would be a wise course of action.

Panasonic just gave us a firmware update and now Sharpness/Noise Reduction are available as options for V-LogL.  In the footage we uploaded (that people have been grading), the settings were at defaults of 0 and 0.  So turning those down to -5 each should produce better results as far as that is concerned.

Good to hear, Luke. Were Sharpness and NR adjustable on the normal gammas when you shot the piece? Or were they locked at 0 too? I recall one of the Panasonic reps saying, in one of the dozen interviews I've watched, that the new image processing/sharpening cannot be totally turned off, just down. If that's true I really hope that on the production cam, turning down to -5 on both will get rid of the haloing and temporal artifacts.

Shallow depth of field was a winner with 96fps on the GH4 -

it seems like the lack of required sharp detail encoding allowed the sub optimal bit rate to be good enough - plus its softness was good for skin / faces. I used this all the time for handheld dollies / close up product detail shots at 12mm / f2.8 Panny is 25-35  or  25/ F .095 and never got called out for image softness by any of my clients.

Philip Bloom had a great shot in slomo of a young girls face close up with the GH4 / 25 voigtlander combo  that he used in his CNN series. Its one of my favourite shots of his ever.

I suspect the same approach will work wonders with the 180 fps mode.

48 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

Shallow depth of field was a winner with 96fps on the GH4 -

it seems like the lack of required sharp detail encoding allowed the sub optimal bit rate to be good enough - plus its softness was good for skin / faces. I used this all the time for handheld dollies / close up product detail shots at 12mm / f2.8 Panny is 25-35  or  25/ F .095 and never got called out for image softness by any of my clients.

Philip Bloom had a great shot in slomo of a young girls face close up with the GH4 / 25 voigtlander combo  that he used in his CNN series. Its one of my favourite shots of his ever.

I suspect the same approach will work wonders with the 180 fps mode.

Yup, in 180 shots so far best results are with Sigma Art 24 set to f 1.4.  Below shot with way more grading than the codec can handle obviously, but held up just as well as 4K/60 IMO.

3.jpg

3 hours ago, Ronnie Amighetti said:

BTW, FCPX has no problem with all 5 clips, MPEG Streamclip couldn't recognize them, Davinci only works with the 60p clips.

Nick Driftwood suggested me to buy "Movist" to preview the clips, since I am not able to download El Capitan from italian AppStore. I'll give it a try.