Lumix GH5 Downloadable Footage

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, MaxAperture Films said:

A little chroma noise lurking in those shadows, but looks pretty solid considering it's still pre-production and only a 150 Mb/s 10 bit codec.

Yeah, nothing you can't handle in post. While I'm not seeing a DR improvement over the GH4 (or maybe just a little), the footage seems to be completely usable.

14 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Yeah, nothing you can't handle in post. While I'm not seeing a DR improvement over the GH4 (or maybe just a little), the footage seems to be completely usable.

It seems a little better.  Base ISO is 400 I think, so maybe you're actually losing some by going higher?

22 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Not sure where our official video is but...figured we would share some stuff straight out of camera.  There are 5 shots and we have included some 4K/60 as well as 422 10bit stuff.

Thanks for sharing. I'm on a Mac

I can open the 60p waterfall Handheld and the 60p Snow Handheld. For some reason I can't open the 30p Perpetua Dolly, 30p Sunset Handheld and the 24p Seattle Handheld.

Can't get them to open in Davinci 12.5 and they crash AE 5.5

Any codec I should download to be able to open them?

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

It seems a little better.  Base ISO is 400 I think, so maybe you're actually losing some by going higher?

I thought iso200 is the base iso?

Is the GH5 showing all exposure values when using video modes A,S,P and auto iso. GH4 and all other Panasonic cameras are not showing all automatic exposure values in video. In photos yes and in 4k photo video yes but in actual video modes no.

28 minutes ago, bunk said:

I can open the 60p waterfall Handheld and the 60p Snow Handheld. For some reason I can't open the 30p Perpetua Dolly, 30p Sunset Handheld and the 24p Seattle Handheld.

Thanks.

I am on a PC and I have almost exactly the same experience. I can work with the 60p files, but no software I have can open or play the 30p and 24p files (I have DaVinci 12.5 and Magix Vegas 14. MediaInfo indicates these are normal H264 files, but they are unreadable. There is obviously something wrong with these files.

9 minutes ago, Vesku said:

I thought iso200 is the base iso?

Is the GH5 showing all exposure values when using video modes A,S,P and auto iso. GH4 and all other Panasonic cameras are not showing all automatic exposure values in video. In photos yes and in 4k photo video yes but in actual video modes no.

Mine starts at ISO 400, 200 isn't even an option. 

1 hour ago, bunk said:

Thanks.

i was able to open them in VLC, then used that to rewrap (not re-encode) them. Then i was able to open them. I transcoded to ProRes HQ at that point before grading.

40 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

i was able to open them in VLC, then used that to rewrap (not re-encode) them. Then i was able to open them. I transcoded to ProRes HQ at that point before grading.

Hi Zak, thanks for the reply. I tried to open them with VLC but I get some grey background with bits of noise. Sound seems to play fine, sounds like wind. I think Luke transcoded them into some codec my Mac doesn't support, as I never had any problems opening files from my GH4. I'm already happy with the files I could open.

Cheers.

neumann_waterfall_handheld.jpg

Can we please have some clarification about these files? I was under the impression that these downloadable files were straight from the GH5. But the inability to play or edit three of them (24p, 30p) in almost any player/editor (or the need to re-wrap) suggests that they are not straight from camera. More than one person has reported this, and we are not beginners at video. Can't work with them in Resolve, really? Some info please?

4 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Can we please have some clarification about these files? I was under the impression that these downloadable files were straight from the GH5. But the inability to play or edit three of them in almost any player/editor (or the need to re-wrap) suggests that they are not straight from camera. More than one person has reported this, and we are not beginners at video. Some info please?

I've had the same problem with .MP4 files from the GH4. When I owned one, I always made sure the camera was generating .MOV files. Something about Panasonic's implementation of the .MP4 container (regardless of codec) has always been problematic for me.

That aside, I can confirm that Luke's files are h.264.

Just now, Zak Forsman said:

I've had the same problem with .MP4 files from the GH4. When I owned one, I always made sure the camera was generating .MOV files. Something about Panasonic's implementation of the .MP4 container (regardless of codec) has always been problematic for me.

I have edited mov and mp4 files from my GH4 with no problems. And, I have no problem with the 60p files that were supplied from the GH5. If the 4K 30p files are straight from the camera, then the GH5 has a big problem. So, let's get a response from the supplier about the provenance of these files,

The MP4 container thing is a Mac issue, so let's put that aside. This issue is probably linked to Panasonic's implementation of 10 bit h.264. Possible it is not supported by most of our NLEs and apps. The 60p files are unique in that they are 8 bit.

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

No, PC.

Just now, Zak Forsman said:

The issue is probably that 10 bit h.264 is not supported by most of our systems. The 60p files are 8 bit.

This could be. But if so, it is big news that the 10bit files from the GH5 are right now practically unusable. I have no problem editing other videos that are 10bit and that use H264, however (like XAVC intra (4:2:2 10bit)).

23 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Can we please have some clarification about these files? I was under the impression that these downloadable files were straight from the GH5. But the inability to play or edit three of them (24p, 30p) in almost any player/editor (or the need to re-wrap) suggests that they are not straight from camera. More than one person has reported this, and we are not beginners at video. Can't work with them in Resolve, really? Some info please?

My best guess it's your NLE, I"m on windows 10 pro and edit with Edius 8WG, I can import and edit the 24, 30 and 60p files without a problem.