FS700 Stock Profile...Who shoots with this?

Scott Goldberg

I'm doing a feature next week and I'm thinking of using the stock image/profile of the camera and not using any PP's because I don't do much color grading and I'm getting frustrated with having not much knowledge of the PP's to where I don't want to mess up my image. So my question is does anyone else shoot not using PP's and what are the pros and cons of doing so?

I'm not going to even attempt for this feature to delve into the Picture Profiles with such limited time and practice. I didn't buy the camera for the PP use and I've come from the world of DSLRs to where there were no PP's on it.

Any help is appreciated on keeping the artifacts, noise, etc down to a minimum? Or is it basically what it is, as far as the settings, etc?

Things I am not changing:

ISO, keeping it at 500, not going above what the lowest is.
Using color temperature to get the color I want (either blue-ish or warmish colors)

Thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't have any experience with the FS700 specifically, but when shooting compressed footage, having some sort of flat image usually helps getting better results. Flat images are easier on the encoder and allow it to make a better job. I don't even mean anything extreme like the Technicolor Cinestyle on the Canon DSLRs, but flat is usually preferable.

Of course this means you need to do some grading, but if you're looking for good looking footage, you should anyway.

Grading is one of the most important parts of getting a good image look, especially on digital, and all that you shoot before grading should be in favor of getting to grading with the best material possible.

Also, there's probably no single magic setting, shoot as many tests as you can, I wouldn't want to start a feature shoot without knowing all the pros and cons of every profile, ISO choice, etc. and how they react to different lighting conditions, etc.

I'm curious on:

1) Who has shot footage straight out of the box, meaning using the factory setting to shoot? And do you shoot default setting?

2) Any of your own or any factory setting clips via YouTube or Vimeo that you can link here?

3) What are the pro's and con's of shooting straight out of the box compared to PP? Or is it more personal choice? If personal choice, I'm going to leave the PP settings for a future project down the road, not for my feature which I have limited time until shooting starts. (I'm not color grading, maybe lowering saturation slightly and bringing black downs a tiny, tiny bit - other than that, no color grading, only filters via FCP X like "cool tones", etc)

I use most shallow depth of field lenses for my visuals so the "video look" isn't too much of a concern for me. My main concern is noise, artifacts, aliasing and lack of dynamic range.

And random question: The default video settings have how many stops of Dynamic Range built it? Does it not matter if not color grading?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by default settings, but the default settings, whichever they might be, will be using a picture profile, and it might not be the best one for your shooting conditions.

You say amongst your main concern arenoise and dynamic range, well the picture profile can have a strong impact on those factors!

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by default settings, but the default settings, whichever they might be, will be using a picture profile, and it might not be the best one for your shooting conditions.

You say amongst your main concern arenoise and dynamic range, well the picture profile can have a strong impact on those factors!

Good points...I meant when the PP's sre off and you use no PP settings...I'm curious on what the cons are of using that as far as over-all shooting....

I'm heaving considering just using the PP Off set up. I am curious about the dynamic range and how much less of a dynamic range it has when off compared to using Cinegammas?

Also, sharpness is default at 0 correct? The PP Off is basically where everything is neutral? Is this correct?

Also, pros and cons of shooting with PP Off? Wanted to get your thoughts? If there's really no heavy or huge difference in sharpness and quality, I'm going to shoot PP Off.

I myself am shooting, editing it, not much grading if at all, so maybe PP's just aren't something I should mess with, especially with not knowing much about PP's, especially if done wrong, will make matters worse.