Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It depends on the work you are doing. The GH5 is the only 'photo' camera that can really act like a video camera when it comes to things like long recording times. I've had one running nonstop filling 2 128gb cards (4k 8 bit) in a conference with sound fed to the xlrs. I'm not sure any other similar camera could do that. Video is not just films and short fancy edits.

9 hours ago, Thpriest said:

It depends on the work you are doing. The GH5 is the only 'photo' camera that can really act like a video camera when it comes to things like long recording times. I've had one running nonstop filling 2 128gb cards (4k 8 bit) in a conference with sound fed to the xlrs. I'm not sure any other similar camera could do that. Video is not just films and short fancy edits.

The GH5 definitely fills a role no other camera has. 

20 hours ago, kye said:

What a great looking video..   so jealous I can't make things that nice!!

it's not my video,  but I wanted to show, The GH5 is great after three years of launch , and basically has no direct competition! 

(usable colors, good dynamic range, great battery, excellent stabilization, 180fps, 4K 10bit internally, unlimited recording, no overheating , dual slot SD, articulating screen, great sound internal mic or DMW-XLR1E,  and much more) no other run & shoot machine will give you that!

3 hours ago, TrueIndigo said:

Many thanks, mate. Might be looking at getting this one later in the year (going to sell some lenses and books to help off-set the cost), so I wanted to get familiar with it early -- I have some reading to do ?

There is an absolute truckload of videos and blog posts and tutorials about how to get the best out of it, so there's no shortage of info.  Just google it if something isn't immediately obvious :) 

Yes, I've watched quite a few videos shot by the GH5 which is why I'm interested in it as a future camera. And what you have said on other threads about grading makes a lot of sense to me. An attractive straight out of camera look is nice to have (I'm thinking of Fuji or Olympus), but not so important as grading (knowing what you want and being able to achieve it using the software of your choice). And camera usability now becomes more important to me since the technical threshold of UHD resolution has been met for most cheap cameras. I favour Panny because they just get out of the way to let you go to work (I owned a GH1 years ago and have a G7 now). Regardless of what may come next, I think the GH5 will remain a viable camera for some time because of it's high levels of usability and economic 10-bit codec for advanced post flexibility. The GH5 is as close to the mythical pocket cinema camera as I am likely to need for my skill level; what it makes available answers a lot of video shooting questions.

The beauty of the modern Panasonic cameras now is you can use the footage right out of the box if it is not super important. That is a huge time saver and a God Send for people not too familiar with Grading. Sort of a modern Canon C100 in that aspect. Their CS has gotten really good as of late. The Panny S1 I think is amazingly good. Well to be honest most of the top name cameras now have gotten very good CS wise. Glad to see it happening.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The beauty of the modern Panasonic cameras now is you can use the footage right out of the box if it is not super important. That is a huge time saver and a God Send for people not too familiar with Grading. Sort of a modern Canon C100 in that aspect. Their CS has gotten really good as of late. The Panny S1 I think is amazingly good. Well to be honest most of the top name cameras now have gotten very good CS wise. Glad to see it happening.

I always shoot with the expectation I'll grade later, so I never really consider what things look like SOOC, but considering the combination of 10-bit modes with things like Cine-D etc, it's probably a great camera for that too.

Especially if your grading in post can extend to putting a slight adjustment over the whole timeline to tweak things to your taste.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, Video Hummus said:

The small color tweaks they gave the GH5S allows great colors SOOC. I usually shoot HLG but if you nail white balance and exposure the 10Bit Cine-D looks really good with some small profile adjustments.

The color of GH5s is such a sony reddish, therefore, I prefer color GH5.