Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There may not ever be a GH6, who knows. I don't see how they can sell a m4/3 camera for as much or more than the S1 FF is. Panasonic has put their ass in a peculiar spot. What, they going to admit the GH5 was too expensive and come out with a GH6 for 1500 Dollars? They may just give up on m4/3. I don't see how you can sell them when the XT-3, Canon RS is so damn cheap now.

Look at the A6400, 900 dollars. Yeah we might not think the A6400 is the best thing since sliced bread, but to the average person getting into video it seems like a better buy being APSC than any m4/3 camera. And a lot of people don't even know Panasonic Makes cameras.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There may not ever be a GH6, who knows. I don't see how they can sell a m4/3 camera for as much or more than the S1 FF is. Panasonic has put their ass in a peculiar spot. What, they going to admit the GH5 was too expensive and come out with a GH6 for 1500 Dollars? They may just give up on m4/3. I don't see how you can sell them when the XT-3, Canon RS is so damn cheap now.

Look at the A6400, 900 dollars. Yeah we might not think the A6400 is the best thing since sliced bread, but to the average person getting into video it seems like a better buy being APSC than any m4/3 camera. And a lot of people don't even know Panasonic Makes cameras.

Maybe they'll bring the price down to $1500, seems to make sense to me. 

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am pretty sure there will be a GH6, but what price? I guess it depends on what they add to it over the GH5. But I still don't see how they can charge Any more than the S1.

All or nothing is what I say. They would be no other reason to release it otherwise. 

17 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Is it still worth buying a GH5 right now (~€1300) or is it better to wait for the GH6?

1 hour ago, colepat said:

I just bought a GH5. I think it will still be a beast of a camera for quite some time, even if/when the GH6 comes out this would be a great b-cam I'm sure. 

If you need a camera now the GH5 certainly isn't a bad choice. That said if you don't really need a camera its always better to wait. GH5 prices will go down even further and maybe you'll fancy something else thats come out by then. 

Kind of depends on your needs I guess. For some people a GH5 could last one 5 years, if thats all the mojo you need there simply isn't a better tool. 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Avenger 2.0 said:

Is it still worth buying a GH5 right now (~€1300) or is it better to wait for the GH6?

I agree with previous comments..  the GH5 is a solid camera, tech marches on and if you can wait it might be worth it, etc.  I bought a GH5 late last year and haven't regretted it, but like all things you have to know what you want, when you want it, and what is out there.

I just bought a Sony X3000 action camera in preparation of a trip I'm doing in September.  It's several years old and could be replaced with something way better at almost any moment, but I bought it now because of two factors: it is the best tool for what I am doing, and I want to learn to use it first, get a rig set up, understand what modes and settings work best, etc.  I don't want to unbox it on the plane and then make all the mistakes while trying to film something real.  Having said that though, I made the decision to buy it a week before the DJI Osmo Action came out, so I waited a week just in case that changed my mind (it didn't).

So, wait if you can, but don't wait too much.  Work out what you want the camera for and how much setup time you will need (including buying accessories, them getting shipped, then them not working or you having to buy other ones, them shipping, then working out your workflow, etc) and then wait until the last moment and then just buy whatever is best.  If you wait long enough the GH5 will be so obsolete it's a paperweight, so just accept that and go make films :) 

34 minutes ago, kye said:

So, wait if you can, but don't wait too much.  Work out what you want the camera for and how much setup time you will need (including buying accessories, them getting shipped, then them not working or you having to buy other ones, them shipping, then working out your workflow, etc) and then wait until the last moment and then just buy whatever is best.  If you wait long enough the GH5 will be so obsolete it's a paperweight, so just accept that and go make films :) 

The funny thing is I don't think you can go wrong with almost any current camera nowadays. You'll kind of be set unless things change so much that people only watch things in 3D or something. 

Creativity is the biggest limit. Imagine 25 years ago when all you had to make a quality looking movie was shooting on film. We have it incredibly easy nowadays. 

4 minutes ago, kye said:

Cool!!

Stop thinking about cameras, and start thinking about making awesome films.

I do! I've been using my G80 both on YouTube and professionally and it's been working just fine but I figured with some cash flow I can finally realize my dream of owning the GH5 :) 

It depends on the work you are doing. The GH5 is the only 'photo' camera that can really act like a video camera when it comes to things like long recording times. I've had one running nonstop filling 2 128gb cards (4k 8 bit) in a conference with sound fed to the xlrs. I'm not sure any other similar camera could do that. Video is not just films and short fancy edits.

9 hours ago, Thpriest said:

It depends on the work you are doing. The GH5 is the only 'photo' camera that can really act like a video camera when it comes to things like long recording times. I've had one running nonstop filling 2 128gb cards (4k 8 bit) in a conference with sound fed to the xlrs. I'm not sure any other similar camera could do that. Video is not just films and short fancy edits.

The GH5 definitely fills a role no other camera has.