Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Jn- said:

@Philipd

Thanks for clarification on the v ratings etc, very useful.  My best Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro uhs I, U3 cards, 95MB/s last about 19 seconds at the new All-I rate.

PhilipD, how come these same cards would work in the even higher data rate on say, a Canon 5D mk. 4, for a lot longer anyway?

Hi

I suppose a lot depends on the hardware in the camera and how the firmware might be optimized specifically for different cards.  The Canon may also have a much larger buffer allowing it ride over dips in the card write speed.

For example the GH5 has been tested to really only work with the newer standard for V60/V90 type cards and newer recording protocols and I suspect they've pretty much ignored all other older cards on the market, anything else that works is a lucky accident, whereas the Canon may not support this new standard (I don't know if it does or not) so might be optimised to recognise popular SD cards and the firmware knows about their characteristics to write more reliably.

Regards

Phil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

After some tests i figured this out. When you set GH5 to record 4K 60 fps, for some reason the shutter speed goes up to 1/30 sec and does not stop at 1/60 as it should. So if you accidentally set the shutter speed at 1/50 for example (as i did), then the camera records at 30 fps (it totally makes sense). In FHD 60p mode though the shutter speed can't be set at these values, it stops at 1/60, again as it should be to prevent mistakes. So be careful with the shutter speed setting when you are recording 4K 60 fps, it's different than shooting FHD 60 fps.

Why not just set the camera to be at 180 Degree shutter angle instead and then you’ll never have to change it?

Is this correct with version 2.0 firmware:

6K 24p at 10 bit 4:2:0 full gate 4/3 aspect ratio Long GOP H265

4K 24p at 10 bit 4:2:2 400mb/s all-intra

4K 60p at 10 bit 4:2:2 via HDMI.

4K 60p at 8 bit 4:2:0 internal recording.

1080p at 10 bit 4:2:2 60p 200mb/s all-intra

1080p at 8 bit 4:2:0 180fps slow motion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for GH5 users!

The new IS lock stabilator is incredible. It "glues" the lens in static clips but it helps in other ways too.

Surprisingly the IS lock makes walking with camera very stable and smooth. It makes "floating" stabilization and keeps the frame balanced smoothly. Combined with DUAL IS2 lens and e-stabilization the walking with camera is very smooth and stable. I have used my 14-140 II lens.

Something NEW... but what. I'd love if they'd manage to turn this into a proper follow-up of what the BMPCC was all about. Internal ProRes and RAW DNG options. But I doubt that's it. Especially not without a significant sensor change (possibly non-stabilized to make happen).

I'd be VERY happy if somehow, output to HDMI was available during 6k recording.  This would be great for focus assistance.

Though, being a hobbiest, I can't afford another camera body.

And as I don't seem to sell anything, but rather "collect" stuff, I have far too many already...