Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Thanks.  I also figure that the colour checker and skin tone tests will show colour macro-blocking if it exists.

I guess a follow-up to my follow-up is to ask if anyone actually needs to see a comparison?

I mean, when I'm watching something incredible on Netflix I don't need to see their attempts at shooting it on a different camera to appreciate the IQ of Dark, The Queen, Stranger Things, etc.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, kye said:

Let us know how you go if you use it.

Can you record with an external recorder at the same time as internal with GH5?  

Sadly, I haven't actually used the ol' GH5 in a long time now.
I need to get it out and shoot, perhaps even try to capture the comet?

And no, I don't have an external recorder, always wanted one...

Also sadly, I haven't actually performed any video work in quite a while now.
Captures, nor editing.
I used to use the GH5 to capture my neice's school events.
This year was graduation for us, and due to the pandemic, 
not many events have taken place, and rightable so.
I will break out this gear today...

OK, I made a mistake.

The 3.3K mode isn't h265, it's h264.  Damn.

That means that it's very similar to the 4K 400Mbps mode, except it's 4:3 anamorphic.  

4K 422 10-bit All-I 400Mbps h264

3.3K 422 10-bit All-I 400Mbps h264

I thought that all the modes in the anamorphic menu were h265, but it looks like that's not true.  Double damn.

More reading required.

I also just shot the mode comparisons, but Resolve won't load the 5K h265 files for some reason, so working on that.

Speaking on the same view assist feature. I really wish you could customize a button to turn on/of a view assist LUT. I’ve been using false colors view assist LUT more and more to check exposure on skin tones. It’s by far the best way.

Would be so handy to just press a button see the false color, adjust, and then turn it off back to what it was previous.

I know you can do something similar with zebras but I find false colors way more intuitive and clear for that kind of stuff.

5 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Speaking on the same view assist feature. I really wish you could customize a button to turn on/of a view assist LUT. I’ve been using false colors view assist LUT more and more to check exposure on skin tones. It’s by far the best way.

Would be so handy to just press a button see the false color, adjust, and then turn it off back to what it was previous.

I know you can do something similar with zebras but I find false colors way more intuitive and clear for that kind of stuff.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking - to design my own view-assist LUT and just be able to turn it on and off.

IIRC there are two zebras and you can set them to be whatever you like.  I got the impression you could only choose one of them at a time though, so I don't think you could have zebras showing 40-60IRE for example.  

If I could design my own view-assist LUT I was thinking of something that I could use all the time instead of turning on and off, like making the middle range colour and maybe expanding them a little, the shadows and highlights compressed and B&W, and have bright yellow and bright red as clipped or black.  Something to be technical enough to tell you about your exposure, but something that wouldn't make me creatively blind to what I was shooting, considering that I shoot my holidays and family events and have basically no control of a situation whatsoever, so I'd want to be able to react to new things going on, etc.

Oh well.

Follow-up question.  

I have a grey card, so can do custom WB.  Is there any way to reliably set the levels with it using GH5?  I don't recall there being anything that will tell you what IRE something sits at.

1 hour ago, kye said:

IIRC there are two zebras and you can set them to be whatever you like.  I got the impression you could only choose one of them at a time though, so I don't think you could have zebras showing 40-60IRE for example.  

You can set two different zebras and then customize a button to cycle through them. For example, a 80IRE zebra for clipping and a 60IRE for skin. You can then use a custom button an cycle through 80 -> 60 -> none and then back to 80. This is the fastest.

I want the same thing for view assist LUTs.

1 hour ago, kye said:

If I could design my own view-assist LUT I was thinking of something that I could use all the time instead of turning on and off, like making the middle range colour and maybe expanding them a little, the shadows and highlights compressed and B&W, and have bright yellow and bright red as clipped or black.

I use this one.

https://luts.iwltbap.com/false-color-lut/

1 hour ago, kye said:

Follow-up question.  

I have a grey card, so can do custom WB.  Is there any way to reliably set the levels with it using GH5?  I don't recall there being anything that will tell you what IRE something sits at.

Just zebras and waveform.

That's really useful @Video Hummus.

At one point the wife and I were talking about starting an online training platform where we'd sell online courses and content and one of the potential business partners (who is a high-end working pro and a source of one of the first courses) lives interstate and I was contemplating how to set up a kit like this and ship it and have them set it up themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 8:49 PM, Video Hummus said:

Mr. Brynn North dropping another beautiful montage.

GH5, Speedbooster, Canon 7-200 f4, Sigma 18-35 f1.8, and Sigma 50-100 f1.8. All manual focus. All very well done.

Would love to see longer docu-style pieces from him. All his travels films he does for himself have a more serious, respectful tone to them. 

Absolutely spectacular!

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have always had a doubt about Luminance and would like to ask a question.
I only make UHD videos with the GH5.
I have 2 options in the Settings regarding Luminance:
0-255 or 16-235 for 50p and 8bit
0-1023 or 64-940 for 25p and 10bit
Can you advise me which one you would use?
But does anything change when watching video on TV?
Thank you

A question for all GH5 owners who also posses Tokina 11-16/20 and Weebill S. 

With Sigma 18-35 you can pull focus on Weebill S with build-in lens motor, using focus wheel. No need to add external focus motor. And it works quite well, just connect GH5 to the gimbal and set its focus wheel to the appropriate mode. Did somebody try the same with Tokina 11-16/20 lens? How did it perform?