Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

On 12/31/2019 at 10:01 AM, Video Hummus said:

Cards that ha e 95MB/s or even 300MB/s ratings on them with no V30/60/90 rating are advertising the burst write speed.

Not necessarily.  I just tested my Sandisk Extreme Pro C10 V30 U3 95MB/s and it tested at 85MB/s read and write, with a 5Gb file size and being almost full (which decreases performance - the BM app warned me that the test would be affected).  400Mbps is only about 50MB/s which the card can easily do, but the reason that the GH5 won't do the 400Mbps All-I mode is because the card isn't UHS-II.  I think that might be a limitation of the GH5 and how it writes to the card perhaps, but I'm not sure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR82oAMYTNBoajV9W6_hM

It just happens that that the V60 is only on UHS-II cards, so it's the right advice, but I bought my card on the basis that it could handle the bitrate, but it turns out there is more to it than that, because on bitrate alone my card would be V60 comfortably and almost V90.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

Bros, I need a pill.. I'm getting the full-frame good autofocus sickness and I'm browsing used a7 3s :(

Best approach is to work out what you’re missing and then either fix that or give yourself a reality check..

For example, if you’re chasing good autofocus then you should consider why you need AF in the first place, and if using a deeper DoF would fix it, for example.  The reality check is to assume you just bought an A7iii, so just donate $4K to charity to simulate the financial hit of being locked into the Sony lens rort, then take all your 10-bit footage and batch convert it to 8-bit and apply a sickly green WB to simulate the experience in post.

There’s currently no FF camera that can do everything the GH5 does without giving up something.  Even the S1H (which won’t fix your AF envy) will still hit the CC pretty hard and IIRC is bigger and heavier than the GH5.

The grass always looks greener, but often it tastes just as bad, but in a different way.....

49 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

You're completely right and I've decided I need to borrow one from a friend, shoot some stuff and see if it works for me. Not gonna switch because of a feeling ?

Good plan.  Please share your findings.  Someone commented in another thread that the transition to 8-bit files wasn't a pleasant one, but then again I see great footage coming from them regularly, so I guess it depends on the situation :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 3:18 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

IMO Hue at -1 is the one thing I changed in all of my profiles.

I love your concert image quality. What profile and settings did you use to film it and did you color grade it later, and if so with what LUT?

Thank you. 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

Thanks man! If you're asking about these ones - 

- then it was HLG with all options on 0 and a quick grade with FilmConvert.

Yes that Jazz concert. Wow i wasn't expecting HLG, but looks great. And zeros wow. 

So Hue at -1 is for Cine profiles only yes?

2 hours ago, Rango said:

Yes that Jazz concert. Wow i wasn't expecting HLG, but looks great. And zeros wow. 

So Hue at -1 is for Cine profiles only yes?

To be honest with you I only use HLG because it's the highest DR profile besides V-Log which I don't have 😄 I think I'd use V-Log if I had it. HLG has some problems with a weird green cast that.. crap, now that I'm thinking about it I think I did have -1 on hue on that particular shoot because of that, but I went back to 0 because FilmConvert seems to correct it very well.

On 24 January 2020 at 3:35 AM, Goobster said:

it's a nice reminder that cameras like the GH5 could easily be an A camera on a production.

I think the GH5 is a sleeper camera, along with many others like the UMP, C100, etc.

These cameras are good enough quality so the images easily meet a professional standard, aren't fancy or odd enough to be bragged about, and aren't used on large productions that have interviews with the cinematographer.

People talk when someone shoots a feature film on an iPhone because the perception is it's not good enough.  People talk when someone shoots a project with a camera that is fancy or odd, or when the camera doesn't traditionally suit the project.  and if a film has a huge budget and wins awards then everyone gets interviewed and there are four paragraphs about the lens choices and the phrase 'colour science' gets mentioned.

But when someone shoots a documentary / ad / training course / low-budget series / short / or indy feature with a sensible and capable camera, there's no press about it.  That's the GH5, XT-3, UMP, C100, etc etc.  

I would be very curious to see what percentage of all edited content consumed is shot on these types of cameras.  I think it might be a quarter.  But that's the point - we'd never know, because it's not remarkable.  Therefore no remarks are made, and we don't hear about it.

These are the cameras of the people quietly working outside the limelight and delivering good quality content.

Fun test made by Ted Harder on the Panasonic GH5 and GH5s Group on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pansonicgh5/permalink/2299318990367796/

Have a client that wants the most usable footage straight out of camera. He doesn't want to do any color work. Since I've been curious anyway, I pulled out the X-Rite color checker and shot a series of clips, changing the hue adjustment in the Natural profile for each. Thought you guys would be interested in the results.

GH5 with Sigma 18-35 and Viltrox EFM2, lit with 1 Westcott Flex 1x1. Used color checker to white balance in camera and to expose for middle gray. Bumped up saturation in post for easier viewing.

It seems that Natural with +4 HUE has the most accurate skin tones..

More tests and the full post linked above.

85241342_10219361101031006_2002633921732280320_o.jpg

83881627_10219361200833501_2373328984227184640_o.jpg

83606464_10219361201073507_2912963750631833600_o.jpg

85025865_10219361101591020_8627693384665923584_o.jpg

49 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Fun test made by Ted Harder on the Panasonic GH5 and GH5s Group on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pansonicgh5/permalink/2299318990367796/

It seems that Natural with +4 HUE has the most accurate skin tones..

More tests and the full post linked above

That's a really helpful test! Kind of wish I shot my last thing with natural now haha. Selling off my GH5 again though, this is the second one I've owned so far.