Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

On 12/14/2019 at 10:30 AM, newfoundmass said:

Question: I've got someone offering me a good deal on the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 mk I. Is anyone using it for video and is there a jittering problem like I've heard the mk II has? 

I would prefer the olympus Zuiko 40-150 f2,8 PRO hands down

Much better lens

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mercer said:

My friend got a GH5 for Christmas and he isn't sure what card he needs for the C4K 400mbps all-i... will V60 U3 cards work?

He's looking at this card...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512108-REG/sony_sfm128t_t1_sf_m_series_tough_uhs_ii.html

FYI - he shoots narratives, so he'll need continuous recording for dialogue scenes.

400Mbps is 50MBps so a V60 card should cover it having a minimum write speed of 60MBps.

The Sony Tough cards are quality.

He also doesn’t have to shoot 400 All-I if it’s just a person talking to the camera unless he just wants performance benefits of editing an ALL-I source.

Debating on selling my A6500 system. Love the image, Auto Focus - hate the ibis, handling of the camera, battery life, expensive Sony lenses etc. I’ve seen a lot of good content produced with a GH5. Sony IBIS on this camera just doesn’t do a whole lot for me. I have shaky hands. I have tried using a manfrotto mini tripod stick as a cheap shoulder rig and it does help. But for the minimal amount I have invested in this system, I’m thinking about trying something new.

Currently have only a Sony 35mm1.8. If you could recommend one lens zoom or prime what would you recommend for the GH5? Affordability is a factor as I’d have to go all in selling all my Sony gear.

16 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Debating on selling my A6500 system. Love the image, Auto Focus - hate the ibis, handling of the camera, battery life, expensive Sony lenses etc. I’ve seen a lot of good content produced with a GH5. Sony IBIS on this camera just doesn’t do a whole lot for me. I have shaky hands. I have tried using a manfrotto mini tripod stick as a cheap shoulder rig and it does help. But for the minimal amount I have invested in this system, I’m thinking about trying something new.

Currently have only a Sony 35mm1.8. If you could recommend one lens zoom or prime what would you recommend for the GH5? Affordability is a factor as I’d have to go all in selling all my Sony gear.

For affordability the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 and 25mm 1.7 might be a good place to start. 

The Olympus 17mm 1.8, 25mm 1.8 are great but a little more pricey. The Samyang/rokinon 12mm f2 is a fantastic wide prime as well. 

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

400Mbps is 50MBps so a V60 card should cover it having a minimum write speed of 60MBps.

The Sony Tough cards are quality.

He also doesn’t have to shoot 400 All-I if it’s just a person talking to the camera unless he just wants performance benefits of editing an ALL-I source.

Thanks it seemed like it would be okay, but I figured it was better to ask people who have a GH5.

He wants to shoot in the highest quality mode in VlogL. He thought he needed V90 cards, which as you know are pretty expensive.

42 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

What do you do with your A6500?

I’m a hobbyist and use it for a wide variety of things. These days mainly just for personal projects such as travel/vacation videos, nice looking family videos etc. I don’t have any pressing needs but like to make films for fun. I have used it for documentary/short videos professionally. I might invest in a cage/top handle/usb battery bank soon to give it a final stand but the rolling shutter just kills my unsteady hands. I don’t like the idea of using a gimbal. The gh5 appeals to me over the a6500 for the unlimited record time, good battery life, log profile, and really good ibis. However I’m also thinking about maybe sticking with the Sony and upgrading my lens lineup instead. We shall see

22 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I’m a hobbyist and use it for a wide variety of things. These days mainly just for personal projects such as travel/vacation videos, nice looking family videos etc. I don’t have any pressing needs but like to make films for fun. I have used it for documentary/short videos professionally. I might invest in a cage/top handle/usb battery bank soon to give it a final stand but the rolling shutter just kills my unsteady hands. I don’t like the idea of using a gimbal. The gh5 appeals to me over the a6500 for the unlimited record time, good battery life, log profile, and really good ibis. However I’m also thinking about maybe sticking with the Sony and upgrading my lens lineup instead. We shall see

If you decide to switch to Panasonic, you can save some money and get the G9. It has better IBIS than the GH5 but a lot of the same features as the GH5 (10-bit, VLogL, waveform monitor, etc...) since the FW update.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

If you decide to switch to Panasonic, you can save some money and get the G9. It has better IBIS than the GH5 but a lot of the same features as the GH5 (10-bit, VLogL, waveform monitor, etc...) since the FW update.

I had no idea! I’ll check it out 

On 12/30/2019 at 8:09 AM, mercer said:

My friend got a GH5 for Christmas and he isn't sure what card he needs for the C4K 400mbps all-i... will V60 U3 cards work?

He's looking at this card...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512108-REG/sony_sfm128t_t1_sf_m_series_tough_uhs_ii.html

FYI - he shoots narratives, so he'll need continuous recording for dialogue scenes.

Just make sure it's a UHS-II card. I've got the SanDisk Extreme 90MBps which can do the data rate easily but isn't UHS-II so won't do that mode.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Just make sure it's a UHS-II card. I've got the SanDisk Extreme 90MBps which can do the data rate easily but isn't UHS-II so won't do that mode.

Whatever card he buys the most important rating on it is the "V"(ideo) rating which specifies the minimum sustainable write speed, which as you can imagine, is very important for video. Cards that ha e 95MB/s or even 300MB/s ratings on them with no V30/60/90 rating are advertising the burst write speed.

But yes, he should pick up UHS-II V60 cards from a name brand (ProGrade, Sony Tough, Sandisk).

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

I think the only thing that will be disappointing to you with the GH5 is the autofocus. Its useable in certain situations but entirely unreliable. Levi Allen (search him on youtube) shoots many of his vlog stuff (I would recommend watching his Road to Alaska series) with the GH5 using the autofocus. It's good, but if you demand 95% accuracy, it won't give it to you (neither will the EOS R, really.)

I would always recommend sticking with whatever you have, because you can make great stuff with it regardless.

But as Mercer said above, the G9 is fantastic now with the new firmware and the Vlog-L upgrade. The autofocus is also much improved over the GH5 and the IBIS is absolutely excellent.

It's was under 1K on B&H as well for the holiday but now its back to 1,200.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I would always recommend sticking with whatever you have, because you can make great stuff with it regardless

I think it this is it for me. Might just need to rig it a little heavier. Going to rig it out and see if some of my woes don’t go away