Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, kye said:

Does anyone have any hints on nailing focus on manual lenses when filming yourself?

For example, I want to film a bunch of tests of myself (like the lens tests always have a model in them) but when the lenses are wide open I can't work out how to check critical focus.

I've tried the app, but found that it doesn't have enough resolution to tell what's in focus, I can't setup something at the same distance and pre-focus because if DoF is only a cm or two then I can't make sure my eyes are exactly that distance.  The only couple of thoughts I've had is either to hook up the HDMI out to a huge TV that I can see well enough, or to buy a telescope so that I can see the flip screen well enough from where I'm sitting.

Help?

Hi kye. With a shallow depth of field, it can be difficult to pull focus on that little screen, even when you are standing next to the camera. I encourage you to get someone to help you. Short of that, have you tried pulling focus with focus peaking on and the screen zoom? You may be able to see that from a distance.

Also, if you attach a larger monitor or 4k TV to your camera, that will certainly help. You can see a 7" monitor with peaking from a surprising distance. Also, 25' HDMI cables are inexpensive (monoprice), so you can get your monitor close to you. I regularly attach external monitors to cameras when I use them to help make sure that focus is correct. It is much easier to see if things are in focus on my 7" Atomos than on the tiny 3" screen on the GH5. This is a problem even on cameras with larger viewfinders, like the P4K/P6K.

Good luck!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, kye said:

[..]

Help?

Exactly that? Get someone to help out rather than something? Sometimes the obvious solution isn't necessarily all that technical by nature. A family member, friend, neighbour surely has a moment of their time to help you out if you'd ask. Of course you can deploy other solutions, but indeed they require one to be a little more inventive and are probably quite a bit more cumbersome than sourcing someone to play camera operator for a bit.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, Amazeballs said:

Can someone explain to me whats going on? 

I shot this with GH5 + Sigma 18-35 on a Viltrox + ND filter. I am doing VFR 4k60fps straight to 24 fps in-camera recording. The file is just downsampled to 1080p in a link below. No editing, no grading, as it is. Where the hell is this vertical tearing coming from on especially seen on her tshirt white letters? And how to avoid that nasty shit?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ulqe4H8JIJ28O9D20NRgEdCFpeI1yYL

IMO it comes from going 60->24 which isn't a simple .5 speed conversion. but rather .4 which means some frames are being played slower and some longer (even if just for a fraction). I might be completely wrong though so you better test it out by going 60->30 or 48->24

On 11/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, kye said:

Does anyone have any hints on nailing focus on manual lenses when filming yourself?

For example, I want to film a bunch of tests of myself (like the lens tests always have a model in them) but when the lenses are wide open I can't work out how to check critical focus.

I've tried the app, but found that it doesn't have enough resolution to tell what's in focus, I can't setup something at the same distance and pre-focus because if DoF is only a cm or two then I can't make sure my eyes are exactly that distance.  The only couple of thoughts I've had is either to hook up the HDMI out to a huge TV that I can see well enough, or to buy a telescope so that I can see the flip screen well enough from where I'm sitting.

Help?

I sometimes shoot myself at f/1.2 and the app with peaking and focus zoom is enough to get it in focus. 

Damn, maybe ProRaw in the next update ?

The near/far AF limiter looks very handy shooting on a gimbal or wildlife-telephoto-single-subject shooting; same with the focus peaking in AF.

Ive found the AI tracking AF performance to be inferior to just single point and using the joystick. Maybe that has changed.

They brought the G9 closer to the GH5 which is kind of a puzzling move ?. They seem to be unifying the entire line to do 10-bit 4:2:2 video, which is very nice to see from a camera company but further blurs the line for people who don’t know which camera to get. Maybe they do indeed have something to say about a GH6 sooner than later. Maybe spring 2020.

Anyway, this is why I love Panasonic cameras. They are one of the few companies that adds value via firmware update.

1 hour ago, BjornT said:

A 2 min documentary profile I did over the summer. GH5,HLG,Sigma 18-35 and graded in resolve with filmconvert.

Very well done Bjorn. I loved the establishing shot with the hole in the fabric and the scar. Great message too. So glad Ted wasn't more seriously injured or killed. Sometimes the worst events in our lives are the cause of the most transformative change. Was it shot all handheld?

9 hours ago, kye said:

The first half looked good.  Pity it's on Vimeo and is therefore unwatchable :( 

Here is the YouTube link;)  Doesn’t hold grain and details as well as Vimeo though.

23 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Very well done Bjorn. I loved the establishing shot with the hole in the fabric and the scar. Great message too. So glad Ted wasn't more seriously injured or killed. Sometimes the worst events in our lives are the cause of the most transformative change. Was it shot all handheld?

Thanks!  Really Appreciate the comment. Some shots are handheld but most of it was on a Monopod.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Is there something technically wrong with Vimeo delivery?

Yes.  Lots of people have issues.  See this thread:

For me, I have to download Vimeo videos to watch them, so if someone embeds a video and I can't get the "share" URL then I rarely even bother.

In my downloading software I can download the full video in 4K in 25% of the duration of the video, but if I try to play it in 4K it stops every 5-10s and buffers for up to a minute.  The download test shows that Vimeo has 2-4 times the required bandwidth, I have 2-4 times the bandwidth, but it still can't play.  As far as I'm concerned, that's the technical equivalent of not being able to get drunk in a distillery.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Yes.  Lots of people have issues.  See this thread:

For me, I have to download Vimeo videos to watch them, so if someone embeds a video and I can't get the "share" URL then I rarely even bother.

In my downloading software I can download the full video in 4K in 25% of the duration of the video, but if I try to play it in 4K it stops every 5-10s and buffers for up to a minute.  The download test shows that Vimeo has 2-4 times the required bandwidth, I have 2-4 times the bandwidth, but it still can't play.  As far as I'm concerned, that's the technical equivalent of not being able to get drunk in a distillery.

Ah, I see. I haven’t had any technical issues in the States with viewing Vimeo content.

They also have a piss poor copyright strike system like YouTube as well.

Can confirm GH5S + 10-25 f/1.7 with a Smallrig L-Bracket cage balances perfectly on the Weebill-S.

I also have an 8Sinn cage but it won’t balance perfectly due to the bump out of the cage cold shoe mount on the right side hitting the roll axis arm. The motors can still handle it and it works pretty well; just not optimal.

0193D75B-996A-4882-9D65-563BCD0D45CB.jpeg

First impressions? Footage is pretty smooth straight out of camera. Still need warp stabilizer if you want butter smooth footage.

For $439 it’s a great gimbal. Love the size.

But...I still can’t wait to have improved IBIS and EIS in future cameras so I don’t need a gimbal.

EDIT: To clarify you need warp stabilizer for butter smooth footage on the GH5S that doesn’t have IBIS. Any camera that does have IBIS will work like a dream with this gimbal.

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

First impressions? Footage is pretty smooth straight out of camera. Still need warp stabilizer if you want butter smooth footage.

For $439 it’s a great gimbal. Love the size.

But...I still can’t wait to have improved IBIS and EIS in future cameras so I don’t need a gimbal.

EDIT: To clarify you need warp stabilizer for butter smooth footage on the GH5S that doesn’t have IBIS. Any camera that does have IBIS will work like a dream with this gimbal.

Seems like it should handle GH5+speesboosted Sigma 18-35 as well. But I wonder if you can smash their video transmitter unit underneath plus a focus gear and will it still work that way? 

And can you change motor speeds on the fly like on Moza here? 

8 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Seems like it should handle GH5+speesboosted Sigma 18-35 as well. But I wonder if you can smash their video transmitter unit underneath plus a focus gear and will it still work that way? 

And can you change motor speeds on the fly like on Moza here? 

Yes, you can change motor speeds and even the power of the individual axis on the fly straight from the little screen. This is a huge feature! And it blows the SC out of the water for this reason alone for me.

I could easily have the focus motor on as well with this setup.

I think the sigma 18-35 + speed booster will be way to front heavy. The EVF will hit the rear motor for sure. So only upright only with that setup.