Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Hi, I usually make night shots in the night, in the forest or large areas in the villages where people dance. I always use a small led lamp on my GH5 camera. Often it is insufficient and I need more light. I'm thinking about a LED Front Lamp to put on my head. I noticed a lot of lamps of each invoice but for trek and running. I don't know if it can be useful for me too. I need a front lamp with zoom and with a large floodlight. Does anyone here have experience in this regard? Maybe I do a stupid thing to buy and use a LED Front Lamp? I found some LED Front Lamps with 6000K but I could add a filter to make the light a little warmer. I always travel alone and I also need to optimize weight. Thanks for some precious news.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I usually make night shots in the night, in the forest or large areas in the villages where people dance. I always use a small led lamp on my GH5 camera. Often it is insufficient and I need more light. I'm thinking about a LED Front Lamp to put on my head. I noticed a lot of lamps of each invoice but for trek and running. I don't know if it can be useful for me too. I need a front lamp with zoom and with a large floodlight. Does anyone here have experience in this regard? Maybe I do a stupid thing to buy and use a LED Front Lamp? I found some LED Front Lamps with 6000K but I could add a filter to make the light a little warmer. I always travel alone and I also need to optimize weight. Thanks for some precious news.

I'm not sure if you already know this, but one of the key aspects of lighting is how well it renders colour (bad lighting will distort colours and make things look strange) and it called CRI with 100 being perfect.  They recommend that you get a light about 90 or so.

I mention this because the CRI of cheap LED lights is typically lower than 90, so they are not recommended.

I can recommend the Aputure brand for their smaller LED lights, they're small, light-weight, and charge from USB, and have high CRI ratings.  I'm not sure that this meets your needs though as they are more like a video light rather than a spot-light.

Maybe someone else knows of something that might help?

These have always been good sources for me regarding flashlights/headlamps.

For purchasing... I'd strongly consider AliExpress and eBay.

Nitecore is amongst the best established brands in the flashlight game (also more high-end/expensive); Fenix is up there as well (at least... when I was into that kinda thing years back). Nitecore's also good with powersupply/charging (they recently even entered the mirrorless camera market with 'smart batteries' for cameras (Sony) and even cinema optics now! Kinda boggled my mind a little, having known them for their flashlights). The best flashlights need run offa good high power reliable sources. The most common and recommended battery type is the 18650 (same sort of batteries you'll find in a laptop, Lime/Bird/Xiaomi scooter, Tesla, etc). Personally in terms of safety, quality/performance and price I think the Soshine brand is the best way to go. Get a good and safe charger as well. Too many horror stories with cheap nameless or shit brand crap, both batteries and chargers blowing up causing havoc. There are a bunch of 'Intellichargers'. Again, here as well Nitecore knows their stuff. Also: Sysmax, Jetbeam (pretty much same thing). There are sometimes diffusors availlable for various lights should you want to soften it up. There's also 'CREE COB' which are like worklight-type LED strips giving you a little bit of flat lighting (not very bright).

What kind of bin? XM-L/XM-L2 (T6 BIN) used to be the popular type. Multi-LED (like 3x... 5x... you name it) as well.

3TpWPd8.jpg

U5NFa6T.jpg  4kZbkhp.jpg

HvnCg91.jpg

5XHlMiF.jpg

rsD1ovu.jpg

gwGOGq0.jpg

8QdfM6D.jpg

p7gZFfJ.jpg

xg9inFM.jpg

(Used to do tech reviews many many years ago, flashlights were a part of that)

These days it's all about the XHP LED source (XHP35/XHP50/XHP70) though.

Maybe start your adventure over at AliExpress, browse around and maybe it will lead to something useful for what you're trying to do. There's also tons of flashlight/EDC channels over on YouTube to check out... once down that rabbit hole you'll probably end up wanting to buy something like that floody Fenix... or how about that Imalent:

On 10/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Maybe go for a head lamp / head light - the one that runners use when they trail run. Those are pretty light

14 hours ago, buggz said:

New low price: Panasonic GH5 now sells for $1397 only

https://www.43rumors.com/new-low-price-panasonic-gh5-now-sells-for-1397-only/

Adorama, Amazon, and B&H Photo

Even a couple of years after launch, the GH5 is a heck of a video camera. Yes, it is noisy above ISO1600, but the video quality, stabilization, etc. make it a great choice for a lot of projects.

3 hours ago, drm said:

Even a couple of years after launch, the GH5 is a heck of a video camera. Yes, it is noisy above ISO1600, but the video quality, stabilization, etc. make it a great choice for a lot of projects.

I've found 3200 iso is very usable. I am seeing them easily had now on eBay for $1000

On 10/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, BjornT said:

Recent video I made with my GH5. Shot on the Leica 12-60 lens using a Ronin SC Gimbal. Graded in Resolve with Filmconvert and shot in Cine-D profile at 50fps with a Tiffen Black Satin 1 filter attached.

Two years going and still think this camera is amazing.

It really shines in capable hands ? 

I shoot with fully-manual lenses, so every time I turn on the camera it asks me what the focal length is for the IBIS.  Is this recorded anywhere in metadata that I can search for in my NLE (or even better - in OSX)?

I'm having one of those "let's look at all the shots I made with lens X" type of moments.... :) 

11 hours ago, kye said:

Is this recorded anywhere in metadata that I can search for in my NLE (or even better - in OSX)?

I’ve looked for this before and I haven’t found it. The metadata for video files in particular is just...pathetic.

I wished it saved at least: the name of the lens (if recognized), if it was a VFR video, at least the focal length the video was started at, the aperture it was started at, and shutter speed/angle it was started at.

It makes using features like smart bins / keywords in NLE or using Finder keyword searches useless  

Maybe someone knows more?

UPDATE: Apparently this tool https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ will allow you to see this metadata but for some reason I don't see this in Finder or in Final Cut Pro or Davinci.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:47 AM, Vision said:

It really shines in capable hands ? 

Thank you!

Made this the other day. Shot in HLG using the leica 12-60 and a few shots with sigma 18-35. Graded it with filmconvert nitrate in Premiere Pro and I am not kidding when I say it only took ten minutes for the grade. Very impressive plugin.

2 hours ago, BjornT said:

Thank you!

Made this the other day. Shot in HLG using the leica 12-60 and a few shots with sigma 18-35. Graded it with filmconvert nitrate in Premiere Pro and I am not kidding when I say it only took ten minutes for the grade. Very impressive plugin.

wait what, fuck me, I use FC too but mine doesn't look that good after ten minutes :( 

1 hour ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

wait what, fuck me, I use FC too but mine doesn't look that good after ten minutes :( 

Do you have the new one, Filmconvert Nitrate? First I use lumetri to white balance and then nitrate underneath. With filmconvert I never got as good results in Premiere but with Nitrate I'm much happier.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, BjornT said:

Thank you!

Very impressive results..  nice work!

Any chance of sharing an ungraded still with us?  I'm curious to see what the plugin is doing :) 

6 hours ago, kye said:

Very impressive results..  nice work!

Any chance of sharing an ungraded still with us?  I'm curious to see what the plugin is doing :) 

Picture 1 is raw, picture 2 is filmconvert nitrate applied with 5207 stock (only adjustment is grain turned off), picture 3 is nitrate with lumetri color applied before filmconvert. Used white balance color picker to white balance off her top.

Shot in HLG 4K with a tiffen black satin 1 filter and slr magic variable nd filter attached. 5600k in camera. GH5 and HLG profile picked in filmconvert obviously.

1st Cut.00_00_09_23.Still003.jpg

1st Cut.00_00_09_23.Still004.jpg

1st Cut.00_00_09_23.Still005.jpg